OOOOOHHHHHHHH that was an butt kickin'

Xnex

Sorry we couldn't hold up our end of the bargain down in Atlanta last night. Got to be right ugly there in the latter stages of the game. Congratulations to all the Auburn fans on winnig the champoionship. I will do the proper thing now and support the Tigers in their quest to add another to the string of championships the SEC has enjoyed lately.

Some quick, or in my case......... long winded, rambling thoughts on the game in the dome last night. There were two of three plays that just destroyed any chance we had last night, the first one being the STUPID decision to squib kick the ball after our TD late in the 1st half. I'm not second guessing the choice, I was praying for them not to do it from the moment we scored, then screaming at us for doing it when we did. Another back breaker happened when we ran Marcus out to the slot deep in our territory in the second half and left Garcia back there by himself without any protection. I can't blame Stephen too much for that int as he was running backward so hard that any forward pass was bound to have nothing on it when it left his hand.

Man, I have no idea what has happened to Stephon Gilmore this season. The kid played "lights out" last season as a true Freshman, and now he looks like the cb opposing teams intend to target when they play us even when we have more than two cb's in the game. And that's with us having almost no one of any note back there other than CC Whitlock, who I think played okay yesterday. But Stephon has regressed to the point of not looking worthy to be on a football field and that just makes no sense to me.

Ellis Johnson our "Head Coach - Defense" disappointed me greatly yesterday as well. At no time do you ever choose to rush just three men when you playing a team like Auburn and a player like Cam; unless those three players are Reggie white, Lawrence Taylor, and Bruce Smith. I'm not one of those idiot fans who always says the probelm with a defense is that they don't blitz enough, because I know about the risks associated with blitzing. But to me, the only way to beat Auburn lies in forcing Cam to make his decisions very quickly, not in allowing him 5-8 seconds to stand back there and pick you apart.

I also think we failed to use Marcus in the running game as much as we should have last night. Had we been successful in the running game it would have kept the defense off of the field and allowed us to keep ourselves in the game longer than we were last night.

All season long our special teams have failed to be special at all. I'm not talking about Spencer missing the FG's; that happens to most kickers at some point. But I am talking about our lack of a credible threat in the return game. That has been the case all season long IMO, and has to be fixed. It's like we only hope to get to the 20-25 yard line on returns and nothing more. To me there needs to be much more emphasis on our special teams next season. Last year we couldn't cover a kick to save our lives as I'm sure UGA fans will remember as you ran back two for TD's against us if I remember correctly. And this is with "a Beamer" coaching our guys which is like having Lamborghini with a 4 cylinder engine in it. It just makes no sense AT ALL. Were BEamer not such a good recruiter and recruiting director it would be time to look for a new coach, I think. Maybe this summer coach Spurrier can go to the Beamer family get together down in Georgia and tell Frank that he needs to spend some time giving Shane some more input on how to run a special teams unit.

I also wonder if the problem with our db's is due to lack of communication, lack of understanding our gameplan, lack of proper coaching, or just lack of talent. You don't often see one group go from being a strength to being the single biggest weakness on your team. It just doesn't make sense at all.

So, last night we proved we're not quite ready for prime time in a very big way. But next year we should be better than this year as will a few SEC East teams, I think. So it should be a very good season to watch for many of us here and I hate the fact that this year is mostly over now. But indeed, it is nearly gone. I've enjoyed most of it, and I look forward to seeing what happens in the bowl games and next season as well.

I just don't see SC taking that next step till you get someone better than Garcia in there, and you rebuild the defense...

Garcia just makes the wrong decision in big moments.

To me Garcia did okay, not great and not terrible. He missed some open receivers, but when he had time and wasn't left alone back there I think he did okay. I would still give him a "C" for the game even with the pick 6. He's certainly not as physically talented as some other qb's out there (Aaron, for instance) but if we don't have to put the entire game on Stephen's shoulders he's capable of being a good member of the team. Even on his first int. Firely burst straight through a double team to hit him just as he was throwing it.

I get your point; he's not a super star at all but I think he's capable of being the starting qb on a team that wins the SEC provided we have enough talent around him, and all both sides of the ball.

Thanks man. I really enjoyed the USC fans I met on Friday night and yesterday. I know the game went our way but USC will be good next year. I truly wish yall the best.

Thanks man, and great game by Auburn all around. I hate that we lost it, but it wasn't so much that we lost it as it was Auburn simply won it. Maybe we will look back on this as growing pains. On his coach's show Spurrier just said that Auburn didn't run block us very well but he thinks they might have the best OL in the country. As much credit as Cam gets (I hated seeing them carry him onto the field at the end) it's easy to forget how good the offensive linemen are.

Thanks man, and great game by Auburn all around. I hate that we lost it, but it wasn't so much that we lost it as it was Auburn simply won it. Maybe we will look back on this as growing pains. On his coach's show Spurrier just said that Auburn didn't run block us very well but he thinks they might have the best OL in the country. As much credit as Cam gets (I hated seeing them carry him onto the field at the end) it's easy to forget how good the offensive linemen are.

I am afraid we will struggle next year without that OL (and Cam and possibly Malzahn of course). I agree that the OL does not get the credit they deserve. It was a great event and I think with Lattimore yall have a great future.

I am afraid we will struggle next year without that OL (and Cam and possibly Malzahn of course). I agree that the OL does not get the credit they deserve. It was a great event and I think with Lattimore yall have a great future.

Good luck to you and all the Auburn fans. Keep the title home where it belongs; War Eagle.

To me Garcia did okay, not great and not terrible. He missed some open receivers, but when he had time and wasn't left alone back there I think he did okay. I would still give him a "C" for the game even with the pick 6. He's certainly not as physically talented as some other qb's out there (Aaron, for instance) but if we don't have to put the entire game on Stephen's shoulders he's capable of being a good member of the team. Even on his first int. Firely burst straight through a double team to hit him just as he was throwing it.

I get your point; he's not a super star at all but I think he's capable of being the starting qb on a team that wins the SEC provided we have enough talent around him, and all both sides of the ball.

The issue is, he doesn't know what he is. He doesn't have the physical talent to Brett Favre it, and he doesn't have the conservative nature of a game manager who knows his talent is limited. He shouldn't have tried to throw those balls.

The issue is, he doesn't know what he is. He doesn't have the physical talent to Brett Favre it, and he doesn't have the conservative nature of a game manager who knows his talent is limited. He shouldn't have tried to throw those balls.

Garcia's best hope would be that when he leaves the program he would earn the moniker "Ole blood and guts Garcia". He can throw certain routes as well as anybody. But there are routes that he really struggles with, and almost cannot throw. Anything to a rb coming out of the backfield seems to give him real trouble such as swing routes, and wheel routes as well. But he puts slants and crossing routes right on the spot most of the time, I think.

Part of the reason so many people are down on him is because it feels like he's been the Gamecock QB for about 10 years now. Couple that with the fact that he behaved like an idiot, spoiled brat when he arrived and you have a recipe for a player being called a bust. But this year was just his second season as a full time starter and he seems to have matured greatly in the last year. For much of the season Stephen was in the top 5 nationally in completion percentage and he was often very efficient. But he still has periods of poor decision making and lack of execution. However, if he improves as much this off season as he did last off season, he may be a great qb for us in 2011.

I think the SEC east will rise back up next season. Garcia, Murray, and Bray all look set to have very good years.

I don't think it could have been any worse if ya'll blitzed every down. As hard as it was for me to root for a Spurrier coached team, I was pulling for them last night.

Those are my thoughts too, regarding the blitzing. I was disappointed that we didn't just go ahead and roll the dice by putting as much pressure on Cam as we could have. I could see it if our db's were known as high risk, high reward type players who gave up TD's frequently but also got INT's often as well.

But since our db's are so easily beaten in the passing game it was almost certain that Auburn was going to drive the ball down the field on us without risk of a turnover or being stopped. Which leads me to think we should have decided to go all out and force Cam to do something quickly instead of giving him time to do those "Where's Waldo" puzzles back there.