ESPN's take on Coach of the Year Award

ki46dinah

is purple code for joke-dumb talk? :huh: anyways, usually the coach of the year goes to the coaches with not as much talent as Smith has on both sides of the ball.it's more a testament to our talent on the field than lack of talent on the sidelines

Purple = sarcasm.

To the OP, same about Bellichick. Oh, didn't see Belly...

Edited by dmite

is purple code for joke-dumb talk? :huh: anyways, usually the coach of the year goes to the coaches with not as much talent as Smith has on both sides of the ball.it's more a testament to our talent on the field than lack of talent on the sidelines

Yeah its sarcastic talk.....and what talent does Lovey Smith or Mike Tomlin lack on the sideline?

Tomlin didn't have Roethlisberger in at the beginning of the year and got them a 4-0 record(I think) including a win against the best team in the NFC :rolleyes: and the team with the best record in the NFC. The Bears have an anemic offense with a turnstill o-line that Lovie has somehow schemed around to get them to 8 wins. Its like the MVP race, a lot of times it's just the best player on the best team rather than the best player.

Yeah its sarcastic talk.....and what talent does Lovey Smith or Mike Tomlin lack on the sideline?

i don't know man that post was stupid on that guys part. How can you say that two coaches that have been to the big game before are lacking on the sidelines?

edit-

Misread got caught up in the Auburn

Edited by Atl/0

Tomlin didn't have Roethlisberger in at the beginning of the year and got them a 4-0 record(I think) including a win against the best team in the NFC :rolleyes: and the team with the best record in the NFC. The Bears have an anemic offense with a turnstill o-line that Lovie has somehow schemed around to get them to 8 wins. Its like the MVP race, a lot of times it's just the best player on the best team rather than the best player.

It was 3-1 (loss to the Ravens) and Lovie hasn't done a thing to that offense. You want to give a coach some consideration for that offense, it's all Martz.

Personally, I think the coaches that are doing the best with what they have are: Smitty (homer pic here, of course), Todd Haley, and Chan Gailey.

It was 3-1 (loss to the Ravens) and Lovie hasn't done a thing to that offense. You want to give a coach some consideration for that offense, it's all Martz.

Personally, I think the coaches that are doing the best with what they have are: Smitty (homer pic here, of course), Todd Haley, and Chan Gailey.

HC is to coaching decisions as QB is to team winning percentage...most people link them up as the deciding factor. and even so, they played well for a team without their starting QB. I'd probably say Todd Haley deserves it more than anybody else, personally. wouldn't mind seeing Smitty win it though.

Bears anemic offense is not due to the talent on the offensive side of the ball...and their offense is not anemic to begin with, it just HAD a bad OL. Cutler is supposed to be all-world, Forte is just that...forte, and a cluster of capable receivers/TE's.

I'll give Tomlin credit for going 3-1 with backup QB's...but they also have a generally awesome defense, run game, and supporting cast for QB's to win with.

you must've misunderstood me, I'm saying the fact Mike Smith isn't being considered is more a testament to the fact we don't as many deficiencies to get over, as the media's front runners. so it's not the fact we don't have a Coach of the Year caliber coach, it's just harder to give him the credit for most of our wins when we have Matty Ice and Roddy White playing out their minds.

Bears anemic offense is not due to the talent on the offensive side of the ball...and their offense is not anemic to begin with, it just HAD a bad OL. Cutler is supposed to be all-world, Forte is just that...forte, and a cluster of capable receivers/TE's.

I'll give Tomlin credit for going 3-1 with backup QB's...but they also have a generally awesome defense, run game, and supporting cast for QB's to win with.

eh...like someone said, all-world/franchise QBs don't get traded in their prime, Forte didn't play good last year so it's hard to say whether or not he'll be a good running back yet, and their top receiver is a TE, so their capable but they aren't helping stop an anemic offense. I don't know, when I see their talent on paper I see a INT machine at QB, an average RB, a bad o-line and some subpar receivers. I think they'll record will even out soon, but as of right now, I think Lovie has coached them into a pretty good situation considering his pieces.

you must've misunderstood me, I'm saying the fact Mike Smith isn't being considered is more a testament to the fact we don't as many deficiencies to get over, as the media's front runners. so it's not the fact we don't have a Coach of the Year caliber coach, it's just harder to give him the credit for most of our wins when we have Matty Ice and Roddy White playing out their minds.

I understand what you are saying, I just see how the Steelers and Bears have serious deficiencies to overcome...at least not ones that they themselves created.

Steelers had Big Ben out 4 weeks, I give them credit for that, but the Bears have really no excuses.

I understand what you are saying, I just see how the Steelers and Bears have serious deficiencies to overcome...at least not ones that they themselves created.

Steelers had Big Ben out 4 weeks, I give them credit for that, but the Bears have really no excuses.

On paper I don't see the bears offense in the same league of us, much less any other team with a winning record

Not sure about Gailey... Don't see them giving the award to a coach who doesn't make the playoffs, unless they finish 8-8. They were 6-10 last year. Smith deserves it, but I think they will give it to Raheem Morris (hope not), Steve Spagnuolo, or Pete Carroll. Whichever of those teams make the playoffs. Not necessarily the most deserving, but the NFL loves its 'parody', and whenever a team backs up that idea, the NFL showers them with love (and awards).

Long story shirt:

1)Mike Tomlin

2)Raheem Morris

3)Todd Haley

4)Bill Belly

5)Lovie Smith

....no mention of the coach that heads up the league's best record time...but I guess the same could be said for Ryan of the Jets.

Tomlin - eh, he's been ok, but I wouldn't have him on the list. Sure he did a good job with Big Ben out, but not overly impressive IMO.

Morris - all kidding aside, who saw 7-4 coming from the sucks? Radio deserves to be in the conversation.

Haley - another guy bringing a team out of nowhere. Again deserves to be in the conversation.

Bellichek - doing more with less yet again. Deserves to be in the converation.

Smith - finally got a healthy D, but not overachieving with the talent that the Bears have. I wouldn't put him on the list.

Like the cowgirls, bengals, and vikings? There are teams more talented than the Falcons that just can't measure up on the field. The Falcons are the model of excellent coaching. Talent doesn't mean much without coaching.

The Coach of the Year award usually goes to the coach of a team that was not expected to do well but surprised everyone. Just like the 2008 Falcons. Hence, Mike Smith won it that year and Tony Sparano came up a close second.

I think Marvin Lewis won it last year.