Mike Smith: First Falcons Coach With 2 10-Win Seasons, With Victory Sunday

Very quietly, and I’m sure he wouldn’t have it any other way, Atlanta coach Mike Smith is on the verge of a big milestone.

With a victory on Sunday against Tampa Bay, Smith will reach the second 10-win season of his three-year career. Smith went 11-5 in 2008, his first season with the Falcons. No Atlanta head coach, in the team’s 45-year history, ever has won 10 or more games in more than one season.

Smith is an unassuming guy, who prides himself and his team on consistency. He doesn’t seek out attention, but this milestone would be further evidence of how Smith’s consistency has stabilized an entire franchise.

Also, a victory would tie Smith and the Falcons for the best 12-game start in franchise history. The record was set by the 1998 team that started 10-2, finished the regular season 14-2 and went to the Super Bowl.

One other note on Smith. Again, we remind you he’s a guy that doesn’t like attention or talking about himself. Not many people know it, but Smith coached the Falcons to victory against Green Bay last Sunday while he was very sick. Smith was dealing with a dose of cold/flu that would have kept a lot of people home and in bed. You could still hear traces of it in his voice (and a few coughs) Wednesday when he did a conference call with the Tampa Bay media.

Question: does this make already make him the greatest coach in Falcons history?

Thoughts?

Dan Reeves still holds that title simply because he lead us to the superbowl, IMO. Hopefully that will change this year and Mike Smith will own the title of Greatest Coach in Falcons History.

Thing I like most about Smith, he could probably care less about this. I hope he gets this Sunday against the Bucs and I hope later in February he gets to be the 1st Atlanta Coach to Win a Superbowl - Yeah I said it, and I believe it too!

Sorry, picking the Falcons for the superbowl is no long a "yeah I said it" moment. We all are believers or starting to believe. It's time to RISE UP or SHUT UP.

Dan Reeves still holds that title simply because he lead us to the superbowl, IMO. Hopefully that will change this year and Mike Smith will own the title of Greatest Coach in Falcons History.

While I hold a soft spot for Dan Reeves, and the Super Bowl season will forever remain my favorite as a Falcons fan (you can't beat coming out of nowhere like we did), we were never consistent. Never even back to back winning seasons. The whole attitude seems different now, and I feel this teams expects success now. I didn't get that vibe even after the SB....

While I hold a soft spot for Dan Reeves, and the Super Bowl season will forever remain my favorite as a Falcons fan (you can't beat coming out of nowhere like we did), we were never consistent. Never even back to back winning seasons. The whole attitude seems different now, and I feel this teams expects success now. I didn't get that vibe even after the SB....

The Superbowl is the greatest thing in football, that is the number one goal. While I tend to somewhat agree with you, I still give it to Dan Reeves just because he got us there. However, I believe we will go to the Superbowl and WIN under Mike Smith, but until then, I still give the nod to Dan Reeves. Winning seasons mean so much more with a championship ( or atleast a championship appearance. ) That is just my opinion.

Edited by .she

Smitty has the best three year start of any Falcon coach and the only b2b and b2b2b runs. He needs a division championship, three playoff wins and a conference championship before I crown him though. Hopefully he'll get em this year and bring home the Lombardi. Until then Reeves is the man.

Regular Season Record In First Three Years

Smitty - 29-14 (.674) through Week 12

Bennett 27-21 (.563)

Van Brocklin - 23-18-1 (.548)

Reeves - 26-22 (.542)

Mora - 26-22 (.542)

Division Championships

Reeves - 1

Mora - 1

Bennett - 1 (not counting strike year)

Playoff Record

Reeves - 3-2 (.600)