Falcons not disappointed with CB Robinson

atljbo

Falcons not disappointed with CB Robinson

Posted Dec. 02, 2010 @ 10:49 p.m. ET

By Dan Parr

While he has given up a couple big plays since returning from the concussion he suffered in a collision with Eagles WR DeSean Jackson, Falcons CB Dunta Robinson seems to have the full support of his head coach. Mike Smith recently told reporters that Robinson is playing well and isn't dealing with any lingering effects from the concussion. Robinson is clearly the team's top corner, but we hear the Falcons believe he hasn't been at his best yet. They're hoping he will return to the form he showed at times earlier in his career before long. Quarterbacks have targeted Atlanta's other starting corner, Brent Grimes, more frequently, but it appears that caution about throwing in Robinson's direction is subsiding a bit. The Falcons paid Robinson elite money when they signed him to a six-year deal worth $25.5 million guaranteed in the offseason. Thus far, he hasn't been a disappointment. That said, team observers say he isn't playing at an elite level.

During Falcons live.. Dunta talked about how different our scheme is from Houston... He said for the Texans he was asked to be in the face (bump and run man coverage) of WR's but in this scheme we ask him to play off and zone allot... Dunta also said he always thought of himself as a complete CB so he know he can do it... He is just getting a feel for the scheme

It really sounded like he wasnt 100% happy with his play but he is just getting a fill for the scheme ... He should be able to take more gambles at the ball when he gets comfortable int the scheme.

yeah it was a very cool and pretty insightful interview. they actually asked some good questions too. like you said him gettin' used to the scheme was a big part. also he talked about technique...specifically back-pedalin'...which he said was not needed as much in man/bump-n-run coverage. but it definitely needed in this defensive scheme. anyway...good interview B)

During Falcons live.. Dunta talked about how different our scheme is from Houston... He said for the Texans he was asked to be in the face (bump and run man coverage) of WR's but in this scheme we ask him to play off and zone allot... Dunta also said he always thought of himself as a complete CB so he know he can do it... He is just getting a feel for the scheme

I honestly believe that if Dunta was allowed to play bump & run coverage...Abe's sacks would go up. Likewise, blitzes from the right side might become more effective. I think he is above average playing off the WR but would justify his price tag more if he were allowed to be more physical and aggressive in coverage. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Mid-Nite-Toker

I honestly believe that if Dunta was allowed to play bump & run coverage...Abe's sacks would go up. Likewise, blitzes from the right side might become more effective. I think he is above average playing off the WR but would justify his price tag more if he were allowed to be more physical and aggressive in coverage. Just my 2 cents.

I agree. Why sign a bump-and-run cover corner, then ask him to play off on soft-zones? Not only are you trying to force a square peg into a round hole, I intensely dislike soft zone coverage anyway. This is one example of why Van Gorder needs to go after this season, and we need to hire Marvin Lewis as our new Defensive Coordinator. We need a DC with more guts, more aggressiveness, more killer instinct, and less fear.

I agree. Why sign a bump-and-run cover corner, then ask him to play off on soft-zones? Not only are you trying to force a square peg into a round hole, I intensely dislike soft zone coverage anyway. This is one example of why Van Gorder needs to go after this season, and we need to hire Marvin Lewis as our new Defensive Coordinator. We need a DC with more guts, more aggressiveness, more killer instinct, and less fear.

In a way you were describing BVG like MM last season and at the start of this season...unimaginative and overly conservative. Like MM, maybe BVG can turn it around before the season ends. BVG runs a decent scheme, I just think his situational defensive playcalling lacks common sense at times. The most glaring example the last TD by GB when BVG only rushed 3 D-linemen. Grimes is better suited to play-off WRs, but he needs to mix it up more with D-Rob...BVG is handicapping him at times.

In a way you were describing BVG like MM last season and at the start of this season...unimaginative and overly conservative. Like MM, maybe BVG can turn it around before the season ends. BVG runs a decent scheme, I just think his situational defensive playcalling lacks common sense at times. The most glaring example the last TD by GB when BVG only rushed 3 D-linemen. Grimes is better suited to play-off WRs, but he needs to mix it up more with D-Rob...BVG is handicapping him at times.

This is precisely why he needs to be fired after the season, and replaced with a more aggressive, more talented, more situationally-aware Defensive Coordinator. Van Gorder is simply inadequate. Coordinators are supposed to play to their player's strengths: to put players in the best positions to thrive and succeed--- not positions where they are uncomfortable and out of their element consistently.