Jabaal Sheard a Hendricks Award finalist

hawkeye

Pittsburgh doesn't have a lot to crow about these days, but Jabaal Sheard is having quite a week.

Sheard was named an AFCA All-American on Monday. On Tuesday night, he was selected as one of six finalists for the Ted Hendricks Defensive End of the Year Award.

The winner of the award will be announced next Wednesday.

The other finalists are Clemson's Da'Quan Bowers, Iowa's Adrian Clayborn, Purdue's Ryan Kerrigan, Texas A&M's Von Miller and Wisconsin's J.J. Watt.

That's stiff competition, and Sheard has virtually no chance of winning the award. But as they say at the Oscars, it's an honor just to be nominated.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/15617/jabaal-sheard-a-hendricks-award-finalist

This is the DE I really want. I think he could handle the left side with Abe on the right. I just hope we

could get past what happened with him tho. He has produced the last 2 years with and without Romeus. If we

could get him 2nd rd then we could go another direction 1st rd. I believe he is the best DE for our system

after the 1st rd b/c I don't think we will get the other 1st rd DE's for our system.

Pitt defensive end Jabaal Sheard will likely win the Big East defensive player of the year award. And now he's an All-American.

Sheard was the only Big East player named to the American Football Coaches Association 25-man All-America team on Monday.

The 6-foot-4, 260-pound senior picked up the slack once Greg Romeus was injured and excelled despite constant double teams. He has 45 tackles, 12.5 tackles for loss, nine sacks, four forced fumbles and one fumble recovery. Sheard leads the Big East in forced fumbles, ranks second in tackles for loss and is third in sacks.

Pitt's coaches have calculated that Sheard has faced double teams on 70 percent of all passing downs this year.

"We are all incredibly proud that Jabaal has received this prestigious honor,” coach Dave Wannstedt said in a statement. “From the first snap of training camp to his final game, he has been just exceptional. Jabaal is very deserving of joining the All-America tradition we have at Pitt.”

The AFCA All-America team is selected by college head coaches.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/15506/jabaal-sheard-makes-afca-all-america-team

I saw that too,where he was doubled a lot.

That's why I said almost lol, but he'd have to interview really well!

Yep. But the DE's I see that fit our system are Kerrigan, Smith, and Sheard. Acho IMO is not a DE. He is a tweener.

Same with Houston. Beal is not the pass rusher we need. He doesn't get enough pressure on the QB IMO. And TBH I

really think Smith is raw right now. We need that immediate starter and I think Sheard is the BPA after the 1st.

Yep. But the DE's I see that fit our system are Kerrigan, Smith, and Sheard. Acho IMO is not a DE. He is a tweener.

Same with Houston. Beal is not the pass rusher we need. He doesn't get enough pressure on the QB IMO. And TBH I

really think Smith is raw right now. We need that immediate starter and I think Sheard is the BPA after the 1st.

Yep spot on - I agree with all of that.

I don't think Acho is a tweener. Houston is also a guy who fits our system. He still plays as a DE sometimes. Lines up on the end in a 3 point stance. He is a great pass rusher. My top 5 guys for us are 1. Vinny Curry 2. Aldon Smith 3. Justin Houston 4. Jabaal Sheard (don't think we touch him) 5. Sam Acho

Jabaal Sheard Named Big East Defensive Player of the Year

Sheard leads seven Pitt All-Big East selections.

Dec. 8, 2010

PITTSBURGH—University of Pittsburgh senior defensive end Jabaal Sheard added to his lengthy list of postseason honors today when he was named the Big East Defensive Player of the Year by league coaches.

Sheard becomes the fifth Pitt player to be honored as the Big East’s top defensive player, joining former standouts in linebacker H.B. Blades (2006), linebacker Scott McKillop (2008), defensive end Greg Romeus (co-player of the year, 2009) and defensive tackle Mick Williams (co-player of the year, 2009).

Sheard was a unanimous first-team All-Big East honoree, highlighting seven Pitt selections to the all-conference team. The Panthers’ other first-team picks include junior receiver Jon Baldwin, senior safety Dom DeCicco, senior punter Dan Hutchins and senior offensive tackle Jason Pinkston. Pitt’s second-team honorees include sophomore safety Jarred Holley and junior defensive end Brandon Lindsey.

An AFCA All-American, Sheard (Hollywood Hills, Fla./Hollywood Hills) has compiled 52 tackles, 14.5 tackles for loss, nine sacks, four forced fumbles and a fumble recovery. He leads the Big East in forced fumbles (tied, 0.33 forced fumbles/game), ranks second in tackles for loss (tied, 1.21 TFLs/game) and is third in sacks (tied, 0.75 sacks/game). Nationally, he ranks fifth in forced fumbles and 21st in sacks.

http://www.pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120810aab.html