Something to consider about Vick and Eagles

NCFalcon52

As I started thinking about Vick and remembering his play with Atlanta when he was at his prime. The one thing Mike Vick doesn't do as well with is playing in Cold weather. With the exception of the Win at Greenbay in the playoffs (which was awesome - a great team effort), Mike Vick doesn't play well in cold weather. He seems to really struggle. Looking at their team, they don't have a hard schedule but I can easily see 2 losses for their team.

Remember the last couple of years when Vick was playing for Atlanta. We started off 6-2 or 5-3 and finished 8-8 or 7-9. Why was that? I remember Vick just not playing good at the end of the season and especially in cold weather games. If I am not mistaken Philly can be cold in late Dec., early Jan.

Here are 3 main reasons I believe he doesn't play as well in the cold:

1) He doesn't have touch on his passes (never been that good at touch passes) He throws so hard that a ball in really cold weather. Footballs in cold weather are really hard.

2) It is hard to hold on the the football in cold weather when you scramble around and the ball is held out in 1 hand (about the only way Vick knows how to run while holding a football).

3) The ground is really hard in cold weather. He will be a little more timid in running or could get injured much easier.

The only game left they have that isn't going to be in cold weather is in Dallas. All other games are in Philly and in Minnesota (however, Philly should win this one even if Vick plays a bad game.

Do you all think that Vick has matured beyond what he was in Atlanta and will know how to play smarter in Cold weather? Do you believe Vick will change his pattern of losing in December and win in Philly?

Once teams get video and see how to defend him he isn't a skilled enough passer to get all of those wins. The Giants seemed to show how to beat him and the Bears followed that gameplan. I honestly don't think he makes real reads, he just scrambles long enough for a receiver to get open way down field, make him decide in the first 2-4 seconds after getting the ball and he has a hard time.

Doesn't matter. They'll do what they do.

Whatever the Eagles end up with is what they have. We don't have to worry about them until the playoffs now.

At that point - we'll know where they are.

But, yes, it appears he has matured and he is studying and doing well. However, he is looking for that big payday - I just hope he continues along these lines after he gets it.

As I started thinking about Vick and remembering his play with Atlanta when he was at his prime. The one thing Mike Vick doesn't do as well with is playing in Cold weather. With the exception of the Win at Greenbay in the playoffs (which was awesome - a great team effort), Mike Vick doesn't play well in cold weather. He seems to really struggle. Looking at their team, they don't have a hard schedule but I can easily see 2 losses for their team.

Remember the last couple of years when Vick was playing for Atlanta. We started off 6-2 or 5-3 and finished 8-8 or 7-9. Why was that? I remember Vick just not playing good at the end of the season and especially in cold weather games. If I am not mistaken Philly can be cold in late Dec., early Jan.

1) He doesn't have touch on his passes (never been that good at touch passes) He throws so hard that a ball in really cold weather. Footballs in cold weather are really hard.

2) It is hard to hold on the the football in cold weather when you scramble around and the ball is held out in 1 hand (about the only way Vick knows how to run while holding a football).

3) The ground is really hard in cold weather. He will be a little more timid in running or could get injured much easier.

The only game left they have that isn't going to be in cold weather is in Dallas. All other games are in Philly and in Minnesota (however, Philly should win this one even if Vick plays a bad game.

Do you all think that Vick has matured beyond what he was in Atlanta and will know how to play smarter in Cold weather? Do you believe Vick will change his pattern of losing in December and win in Philly?

I hope not.

You know......I just now realized the interesting dynamic of tonight's game that I hadn't previously thought about. It will be the first time Vick ever started against his old backup Schaub.

I'll be cheering for Schaub. I'd just rather the Eagles miss the playoffs so the Falcons not have to deal with the hoopla of having to play them, nor deal with his running around.

On another note one thing I remembered the other night was that Vick always seemed to have a problem with the Bears when he was here...

And it looks like that hasn't changed but it makes sense. The Bears have the closest thing to the Tampa 2 we used to see back in the day that gave Vick fits.

I hope not.

You know......I just now realized the interesting dynamic of tonight's game that I hadn't previously thought about. It will be the first time Vick ever started against his old backup Schaub.

I'll be cheering for Schaub. I'd just rather the Eagles miss the playoffs so the Falcons not have to deal with the hoopla of having to play them, nor deal with his running around.

I give the edge to Johnson if a fight breaks out. I think those Corners will mind their Ps and Qs out there!

I think Vick in cold weather is kind of like us on the road...a little overblown.

Not sure how cold it was in Chicago last week but the reality is for all this talk of how they shut him down...he still threw for over 300 and 2 TDs.

I'm happy for the guy but like someone else said I'm really hoping that we don't have to see them in the playoffs b/c I don't want to hear about all the hoopla and we seem to struggle with mobile QBs.

Yeah. I wouldn't mind if Philly lost a few games here and didn't make the playoffs. I don't think Philly has much of a chance to get home field advantage over the Falcons. We would have to lose 2 more and they win out. However, playing Philly in the dome would make me nervous. Philly is the one team that I think has best chance to beat the Falcons in the Dome. Right now, we don't have to worry about it and we can enjoy the way the Falcons are playing.

Let's win this week. Beating the Bucs will go a long way to HFA!

The only game left they have that isn't going to be in cold weather is in Dallas. All other games are in Philly and in Minnesota (however, Philly should win this one even if Vick plays a bad game.Do you all think that Vick has matured beyond what he was in Atlanta and will know how to play smarter in Cold weather? Do you believe Vick will change his pattern of losing in December and win in Philly?

I believe Minnesota plays in a dome, so that wouldn't count as a cold weather game.

Yeah. I wouldn't mind if Philly lost a few games here and didn't make the playoffs. I don't think Philly has much of a chance to get home field advantage over the Falcons. We would have to lose 2 more and they win out. However, playing Philly in the dome would make me nervous. Philly is the one team that I think has best chance to beat the Falcons in the Dome. Right now, we don't have to worry about it and we can enjoy the way the Falcons are playing.

Let's win this week. Beating the Bucs will go a long way to HFA!

I have a little apprehension if we were to see them b/c they're a good team but my biggest concern was coaching. I don't know why but I feel like our coaching staff might overthink things when we play them. They've flat out embarassed us the last 2 times we've met and the last time I felt like it came down to coaching more than anything.

I believe Minnesota plays in a dome, so that wouldn't count as a cold weather game.

You are correct. BTW, I don't think it would matter. Vick seems to play pretty well there. I meant to point out New York's game. I think that will be really tough for Philly to win in New York in December.

I have a little apprehension if we were to see them b/c they're a good team but my biggest concern was coaching. I don't know why but I feel like our coaching staff might overthink things when we play them. They've flat out embarassed us the last 2 times we've met and the last time I felt like it came down to coaching more than anything.

I agree with you....but on some level I think that is what every coaching staff does when they are planning how to stop Vick! When he was a Falcon there were only a couple of teams that stopped vick. Of course Vick stopped himself with fumbles and ints when he was here. He has really limited those this year with the exception of last game.

Not only that, but Andy Reid is just flat awesome at offensive play design. The Falcons have some weakness on the defense, and he knows how to find them.

But the main reasons I don't want the Falcons to play the Eagles have nothing to do with the Falcons chances of winning.

If the Falcons were to play the Eagles in the NFC Championship game, which is when it would most likely be, instead of taking the opportunity to highlight the incredible ressurection of a franchise, the media would instead highlight the incredible ressurection of Michael Vick.

I don't much care about the media usually, but that would just aggravate me.

Not only that, but Andy Reid is just flat awesome at offensive play design. The Falcons have some weakness on the defense, and he knows how to find them.

But the main reasons I don't want the Falcons to play the Eagles have nothing to do with the Falcons chances of winning.

If the Falcons were to play the Eagles in the NFC Championship game, which is when it would most likely be, instead of taking the opportunity to highlight the incredible ressurection of a franchise, the media would instead highlight the incredible ressurection of Michael Vick.

I don't much care about the media usually, but that would just aggravate me.

Agreed. This is such a great season it would be frustrating for us to rehash bad memories. The only thing I can say is that b/c of all that came down it brought us, Dimitroff, Smith, Ryan, and Turner. And it resurrected Roddy White from being a bust to being an All Pro. I love where we are and look forward to being on top for many years.

Well, i can't agree or disagree with this post. But if it's true that Vick will struggle in cold weather, then Philly is screwed cause it get's pretty darn cold up there.

Regarding #3 the Eagles actually have a heated field at the Linc.

Here's the thing. While I remember Vick struggling in December I also remember Jim Mora Jr. being a terrible coach and our offense being VERY transparent. During the first half of a season teams would be thrown off by our new gimmick offense and then by the second half they would have figured it out, shut down the running game (Dunn didn't have over 100 yards in his last 10 or so starts with Vick), and then they could key in on the teams gimmicks. This is what I remember more than anything.

The Eagles don't have a gimmick offense and aside from the now 2 INT's Vick has thrown he has been a completely different player then he was in Atlanta. That's maturity and coaching. I don't think the Eagles will collapse like the old Falcons did and I expect Vick to play good. He should have 2 TD's not 1 and a pick tonight.

Also, someone mentioned New York had a good scheme to stop Vick... No. The Eagles WR's dropped two TD's in the endzone, 3 if you count Maclin's which could have been caught but would have been difficult. They dropped one or two in the Chicago game but the Bears DID play Vick well. Tonight, two more TD's dropped... Sort of feels like the old Falcons.

Vick is just now reaching his prime .... five 300 yd passing games and three came this year alone, two during all six years in Atlanta = Proof I do agree with most of the rest though

You got it right when you said it was a team effort. The only player worse than Vick in that game was Brett Favre. It's more what Vick did NOT do in that game, he didn't turn it over. But he barely had 100 yards passing and not even 200 total yards.

It was a team effort as you said that included a blocked kick for a TD.

But I know this is a different Vick and I think he will be okay in cold weather. He plays for philly, he better do alright in cold weather. He played fine tonight and I expect it was cold in Philly in Dec.

What worries me most is that Vick wants to test FA and Carolina is in need of a qb. I really do not want that media crap twice a year.

Don't think it's even a remote possibility that Vick would end up in Carolina-After Rae Carruth, Richardson vowed never to to have something like that happen again. Don't think he'd ever consider a former dog fighter.