Sidbury is staying ready, learning on the Hamilton plan

atljbo

Atlanta Falcons

7:52 pm December 1, 2010, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

091227 Atlanta - DEFENSIVE TOUCHDOWN - Atlanta Falcons defenders begin to celebrate as defensive end # 90 Lawrence Sidbury hoists the football in the endzone as he takes it away from the Bills and returns it for a touchdown and a 24-0 lead during 2nd half action while Bills rookie quarterback # 4 Brian Brohm looks on at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta on Sunday, Dec. 27, 2009. Curtis Compton ccompton@ajc.com

091227 Atlanta - DEFENSIVE TOUCHDOWN - Atlanta Falcons defenders begin to celebrate as defensive end # 90 Lawrence Sidbury hoists the football in the endzone as he takes it away from the Bills and returns it for a touchdown and a 24-0 lead during 2nd half action while Bills rookie quarterback # 4 Brian Brohm looks on at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta on Sunday, Dec. 27, 2009. Curtis Compton ccompton@ajc.com

FLOWERY BRANCH – Some of y’all have been asking about defensive end Lawrence Sidbury, the promising young pass rusher, who’s been buried on the bench.

He’s only been active for six games. Sidbury, the fourth round pick from 2009, was a terror in college at Richmond. He started 31 of 52 games and finished his career with 20.5 sacks and a whopping 38 tackles for losses.

Sidbury showed some flashes late last season and during this preseason, but he hasn’t been able to earn any playing time. (Coach Mike Smith always says, “You get want you earn in this league.”)

“I’ve got to come to work everyday and try to get better,” Sidbury said. “I just have to be patient. Nothing has changed. I still think I’m getting better. When they call my number I have to be ready, that’s all.”

Kroy Biermann won the starting left end position, but he has just one sack. Chauncey Davis (no sacks) and Jamaal Anderson (one sack) are ahead of Sidbury in the defensive end rotation.

“You always have to stay ready,” Sidbury said. “Roles can change, especially when you get into the latter part of the season. You never know what is going to happen. You just have to keep working. Keep getting better and things will happen.”

When asked about Sidbury, Smith said he hasn’t been on the 45-man game day roster because of special teams decisions.

Sidbury is clearly still developing under defensive line coach Ray Hamilton.

“Yes, he is,” Smith said. ”He’s coming along very well. I think we’ve got a lot of depth in our defensive line, which is a good problem to have. We’ve been very fortunate that we haven’t had any significant injuries where we’ve had to lose some playing time with any of our defensive linemen, except for one game.”

I knew Weatherspoon would be a good addition but honestly I wanted them to take a huge risk on Pierre Paul or one of the other DE's to get that undeniable pass rusher who has to be accounted for. As for now I think they have a good stable of DE's so there is little drop off. I'm pulling for Sidbury to step up but more importantly, I've been hoping for a 1-2 punch since Kerney and Abraham which obviously didn't pan out but I'm just looking for the next great pass rusher to step up.

i dnt get it, it seems like there just breeding this guy until its time to unleash him, thats wat it sounds like to me at least..... if thats the case then cool, but if there holding him back cause he isnt responding then there might be a problem. i mean even kroy didnt have to do this much, and there only a year apart..

he shown flashes so im going to hope that there just bringing him along slowly to watch and learn.... i think his number will be called during the playoffs tho...

i dnt get it, it seems like there just breeding this guy until its time to unleash him, thats wat it sounds like to me at least..... if thats the case then cool, but if there holding him back cause he isnt responding then there might be a problem. i mean even kroy didnt have to do this much, and there only a year apart..

he shown flashes so im going to hope that there just bringing him along slowly to watch and learn.... i think his number will be called during the playoffs tho...

yea... It seem like they are just developing him for the RDE position... They have a rotation they like right now and he is not really a ST guy.

yea... It seem like they are just developing him for the RDE position... They have a rotation they like right now and he is not really a ST guy.

yea but going from 10-15 snaps last year to none???? i mean we didnt evn add any DE this year to even take his spot, thats why i dnt get it, could chauncey really be out playing sid? so many ?s and no answers is killing me...

yea but going from 10-15 snaps last year to none???? i mean we didnt evn add any DE this year to even take his spot, thats why i dnt get it, could chauncey really be out playing sid? so many ?s and no answers is killing me...

You gotta understand each player roles bro... Chauncey is being asked to play on most run downs... You are not going to ask Sid to do that ... Its 2 different roles... In our system Sid is a RDE pass rusher but the problem is Abe is having a probowl year so the passrusher snaps are not there.

The only problem i kinda have is that... Why not give him some pass rush snaps on the LDE spot... I guess they see him as a strictly RDE... And since he doesnt play ST... That why he has been inactive some games.

But yea... I think Sid is in our future as a RDE... I get why he is not getting snaps right now but i want him to get snaps so he can show what he can do.

I'm not buying it. I mean it sounds like a nice concept but our D-line is really not THAT accomplished that we can have that type of luxury. I mean I guess they know what they're doing but it just seems odd.

I think Sidbury and Lewis are superior in impact

to Davis, Walker. So if the plan is for them to unleash

these two fresh guys in the playoffs that would be brilliant.

I don't think that is what is going on. I think they are in the

dog house for one reason or another. Things are going well and

we are winning so there is no reason to change the rotation.

It's purely a numbers game. Clearly the staff feels that we don't need 5 DEs active on game day, and making Sid inactive allows us to have someone else active who can play on special teams. We could activte Sid and make Chauncey or Jamaal inactive, but our run defense would suffer somewhat because of it.

It would be insteeresting to see which Games Sid has been actrive for. I suppose it could make sense to activate him against a team with a pass heavy offense and weak running game...