Google TV

RHEC

I just seen a commercial with Kevin Bacon on it and I thought it looks interesting, I wonder if you can just buy it and that's it or do you have to buy a monthly plan?

I know that some apps would have a subscription like Netflix.

Edited by Skar

if i were you, id wait still. ABC,Fox,Hulu,NBC and a few others have blocked googletv browers from watching videos from their site. ( they do have a workaround though). also the market store has not been made available yet, so you will be stuck with the apps that come with it until developers make apps and they become available.

Google doesnt charge anything for the apps that come with it, but the company that makes the apps might charge for the services like netflix. some apps that are created after the market is made might have an initial charge, but thats just me speculating.

I am planning on getting one and getting rid of cable once they get better TVs. I like the sony internet tv with google tv, but only 60hz refresh rate, which is pretty weak for tvs these days.

if i were you, id wait still. ABC,Fox,Hulu,NBC and a few others have blocked googletv browers from watching videos from their site. ( they do have a workaround though). also the market store has not been made available yet, so you will be stuck with the apps that come with it until developers make apps and they become available.

Google doesnt charge anything for the apps that come with it, but the company that makes the apps might charge for the services like netflix. some apps that are created after the market is made might have an initial charge, but thats just me speculating.

I am planning on getting one and getting rid of cable once they get better TVs. I like the sony internet tv with google tv, but only 60hz refresh rate, which is pretty weak for tvs these days.

I don't think you can get rid of your cable and just keep google TV, you still need your cable box, from what im understanding is that you will still control your tv like you usually do but if you want to look up something, you can use google tv.

Where did you hear certain tv channels are blocking google internet?

I don't think you can get rid of your cable and just keep google TV, you still need your cable box, from what im understanding is that you will still control your tv like you usually do but if you want to look up something, you can use google tv.

Where did you hear certain tv channels are blocking google internet?

that is one feature, but tech geeks like myself would use it as an Home theater PC, and get all my content from the internet. other than a handful of channels( science, discovery, history, HGTV, etc), you can get all your shows on the internet these days. Most of them are on hulu.com. the googletv has a flash internet browser, so its basically like you brower on your computer.

I would use apps like Hulu plus(7.99 a month and Netflix(8 bucks a month) to replace my cable. plus the flash browser for other streaming and sites.

also let me clear it up, they are not blocking their channels, they are blocking people from accessing their video content on their site from the google browser. i heard about it on Engadget and Gizmodo( both are tech blogs).

another thing i love about it is the mutli-use of it. some people can use it to replace their cable, while others use it to complement their cable service.

that is one feature, but tech geeks like myself would use it as an Home theater PC, and get all my content from the internet. other than a handful of channels( science, discovery, history, HGTV, etc), you can get all your shows on the internet these days. Most of them are on hulu.com. the googletv has a flash internet browser, so its basically like you brower on your computer.

I would use apps like Hulu plus(7.99 a month and Netflix(8 bucks a month) to replace my cable. plus the flash browser for other streaming and sites.

also let me clear it up, they are not blocking their channels, they are blocking people from accessing their video content on their site from the google browser. i heard about it on Engadget and Gizmodo( both are tech blogs).

another thing i love about it is the mutli-use of it. some people can use it to replace their cable, while others use it to complement their cable service.

You'd probably be better off putting a computer on your TV. Put a Mac Mini on there.

I still won't switch to an exclusive HTPC because of live sports.

You'd probably be better off putting a computer on your TV. Put a Mac Mini on there.

I still won't switch to an exclusive HTPC because of live sports.

it would probably be cheaper, and i just saw a ZinoHD for hella cheap.( $350 for a PC with a bluray player 500hd harddrive and radeon HD graphics card 3gb ram.

i wish they would allow people to download the googletv OS on an HTPC.

edit: for sports i mostly only have to worry about basketball, but nba has streaming 40 games a week for 189 a season.

football is usually on fox or CBS.

Edited by GEORGlAfan

I just found out about Boxee, it may be better than Google TV.

might want to read more reviews on it. from what i have read its been a huge disappointment.

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2010/12/boxeebox/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/16/boxee-box-by-d-link-review/

http://gizmodo.com/5697736/boxee-review-good-at-one-thing-bad-at-everything-else