Sunday Night Baseball

Falconsfan567

THEY PUT BOBBY VALENTINE ON IT! UGH! :angry:

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5871415

I'd rather listen to Jon Miller constantly get players names wrong and Joe Morgan living in the 1970s than to listen to the constantly useless chatter of Bobby V!

the only ppl who are gonna hate that more than us are mets fans. I bet it drives them insane to have to listen to guys like valentine and steve reynolds say " if I were in charge of the, I'd do this..." lol...like you morons, the reasons the mets are so bad is because you WERE in charge. The NERVE of them offering their opinion!

the only ppl who are gonna hate that more than us are mets fans. I bet it drives them insane to have to listen to guys like valentine and steve reynolds say " if I were in charge of the, I'd do this..." lol...like you morons, the reasons the mets are so bad is because you WERE in charge. The NERVE of them offering their opinion!

It's Steve Phillips but yeah I understand your point. Valentine wasn't that bad a manager and Phillips wasn't that bad a GM. But then after they had a little success in the late 90s and made it to that WS in 2000 they decided to bring in a ton of huge over the hill players like Mo Vaughan and Roberto Alomar and they took a huge toll on the Mets payroll and really crumbled them.

Then just when they were starting to get clear of all that Omar Minaya did the same thing and now they are in their current hole.

Well you have to give Phillips some credit for them being really good in 1999 and 2000.

As far as I can tell, in six seasons as Mets GM, he made six bona-fide good moves.

1. Trading for Mike Piazza.

2. Trading for Armando Benitez.

3. Drafting David Wright.

4. Signing Jose Reyes as an international free agent.

5. Trading for Al Leiter (although even that cost the Mets A.J. Burnett).

6. Signing Robin Ventura.

Also in those six season, he made the following idiotic decisions:

1. Trading Mel Rojas for Bobby Bonilla (both sucked by then, but Bonilla cost more and was more disruptive).

2. Not trading Jay Payton for Gary Sheffield (he's later trade Payton away for virtually nothing).

3. Trading for Mike Hampton, and then not re-signing him, choosing to sign Kevin Appier instead, who was close to done.

4. Then trading Kevin Appier for the completely worthless Mo Vaughn.

5. Oh, they wouldn't have "needed" Mo Vaughn if Stevie had re-signed John Olerud.

6. Trading Rick Reed for Matt Lawton. He'd later trade Lawton for Roberto Alomar, who one-upped Lawton by being not only useless, but also expensive.

7. Not listening to Bobby Valentine (because they hated each other) and passing up on signing Ichiro Suzuki.

8. Not signing Alex Rodriguez when Rodriguez clearly prefered the Mets over the Yankees.

9. Trading Carl Everett for John Hudek.

10. Trading Melvin Mora for Mike Bordick (who re-signed with the Orioles the following off-season).

11. Trading Robin Ventura for David Justice (good...), then trading Justice a week later for Mark Guthrie and Tyler Yates. (BAD!)

With these moves, and a few smaller moves, Phillips turned a team that had been contending for the playoffs into a laughingstock in just three seasons. Phillips was terrible; he inherited a team from Joe McIlvaine that was underperforming but talented, managed to make a couple of good trades (Piazza, Benitez) and signings (Ventura), and then ripped the whole roster apart, back and forth, for no apparent reason.

As far as I can tell, in six seasons as Mets GM, he made six bona-fide good moves.

1. Trading for Mike Piazza.

2. Trading for Armando Benitez.

3. Drafting David Wright.

4. Signing Jose Reyes as an international free agent.

5. Trading for Al Leiter (although even that cost the Mets A.J. Burnett).

6. Signing Robin Ventura.

Also in those six season, he made the following idiotic decisions:

1. Trading Mel Rojas for Bobby Bonilla (both sucked by then, but Bonilla cost more and was more disruptive).

2. Not trading Jay Payton for Gary Sheffield (he's later trade Payton away for virtually nothing).

3. Trading for Mike Hampton, and then not re-signing him, choosing to sign Kevin Appier instead, who was close to done.

4. Then trading Kevin Appier for the completely worthless Mo Vaughn.

5. Oh, they wouldn't have "needed" Mo Vaughn if Stevie had re-signed John Olerud.

6. Trading Rick Reed for Matt Lawton. He'd later trade Lawton for Roberto Alomar, who one-upped Lawton by being not only useless, but also expensive.

7. Not listening to Bobby Valentine (because they hated each other) and passing up on signing Ichiro Suzuki.

8. Not signing Alex Rodriguez when Rodriguez clearly prefered the Mets over the Yankees.

9. Trading Carl Everett for John Hudek.

10. Trading Melvin Mora for Mike Bordick (who re-signed with the Orioles the following off-season).

11. Trading Robin Ventura for David Justice (good...), then trading Justice a week later for Mark Guthrie and Tyler Yates. (BAD!)

With these moves, and a few smaller moves, Phillips turned a team that had been contending for the playoffs into a laughingstock in just three seasons. Phillips was terrible; he inherited a team from Joe McIlvaine that was underperforming but talented, managed to make a couple of good trades (Piazza, Benitez) and signings (Ventura), and then ripped the whole roster apart, back and forth, for no apparent reason.

I said that he took an elite team in the late 90s and in no time flat managed to turn it into a laughing stock.

P.S. I give him a pass on the Mike Hampton deal. The Rockies signed Hampton to the richest contract in baseball history at the time. Can't fault him none for not one upping that.

One question though. I was a bit too young to remember a lot of those moves. Was he their GM when they made the Jeff Kent trade with the Indians?

P.S. I give him a pass on the Mike Hampton deal. The Rockies signed Hampton to the richest contract in baseball history at the time. Can't fault him none for not one upping that.

The problem was that Hampton publically said during the season that he would take what Phillips ended up giving to Appier anyway.

One question though. I was a bit too young to remember a lot of those moves. Was he their GM when they made the Jeff Kent trade with the Indians?

No, that was the trade that more-or-less got Joe McIlvaine fired.

Okay thanks. I know looking back on it that was a pretty dumb trade.

It's funny, I was honeymooning in San Francisco when the Indians sent Kent to the Giants for Matt Williams. I'd never heard such vitriol on sports talk radio denouncing that trade. Williams was beloved in San Fran apparently. Even the mayor of San Francisco was denouncing the trade in the papers.

Turned out pretty good for the Giants, but my point is that Kent was actually considered a bit of an underachiever with the Mets and Indians. The problem with the trade from the Mets point of view wasn't necessarily Kent, but that Baerga by then was really too fat to play a position.

It's funny, I was honeymooning in San Francisco when the Indians sent Kent to the Giants for Matt Williams. I'd never heard such vitriol on sports talk radio denouncing that trade. Williams was beloved in San Fran apparently. Even the mayor of San Francisco was denouncing the trade in the papers.

Turned out pretty good for the Giants, but my point is that Kent was actually considered a bit of an underachiever with the Mets and Indians. The problem with the trade from the Mets point of view wasn't necessarily Kent, but that Baerga by then was really too fat to play a position.

Yeah. Matt Williams was a heck of a hitter. I noticed that Baerga's career came crashing down pretty fast.