The Falcons Pass Defense....

NAVY FALCON

Most teams cannot run against the Falcons defense and is usually playing catch-up. As a result, most teams accumulate substantial passing yards when they are forced to abandon the run. So, is the pass defense really a concern going into the playoffs when they just held a high-powered Packer's offense to 17 points?

I am not concerned either because I have watched every performance by the defense throughout the first 11 games. In my opinion, there is always room for improvement but they have played quite well thus far. All of the so-called experts on ESPN and the NFL Network seem to believe that the Falcons defense is preventing them from becoming the best team in the NFC and a superbowl contender.

A lot of it can be chalked up to bend but don't break. Mora, another bend but don't break disciple, used to call em empty yards.

They are tough when the field shrinks in the red zone. They could use more QB pressure from the front seven and maybe one more decent corner.

I still hate a bend but don't break defense though. It can be scary. If they get in a game where the offense can't rack up TOP and have to stay on the field they could get lit up by passing teams like NO, NYG, PHI etc.

Great observation. I don't think we have to be overly concerned with the pass defense as you can really see their progression each game. Have they completely gotten there of course not but they are better. Of course anytime you go a against a great passing attack there will be yards that you give up. Its harder to shut someone out than to keep them in check. But to someone else's point in the post I would love to see more QB pressure down this stretch of games.

I am a little concerned but I think we need to get more pressure on QBs that would help our pass D a lot

In general I agree completely.

But it does depend on the opposing O-line and the opposing QB.

Rogers did burn Atl several times when they tried to pressure him.

On the other hand the pressure was sucessful a few times.

I thing Smith/Van Gorder determine what the pressure will be depending on the opponent.

I believe they felt the soft cover with pressure at specific times (instead of all out pressure every play)was the way to beat GB.

Its funny because this was actually the same question about NO's pass defense last year. They gave up tons of yards and forced turnovers. Overall there is no question that our ability to cover receivers is the main problem spot on our own defense. At the same time it is pretty obvious that a lot of the yardage given up through a normal game is mostly because of the fact that our offense puts plenty of pressure on our secondary when we go up and take the lead all the time.

Regardless this defense is improving. Secondary included. That is what matters the most.

I think the concern is that in a shoot out, or when we are trailing, can we go man and shutdown a pass first offense like Philly, Indy or New Orleans?

Right now, we are split on those two games. Philly victimized us early in the season. new Orleans played us tough, and it came down to quirky plays a grit. Our pass defense did not keep either from moving do en the field when we needed them too. That is where the concern is.

My feeling is that, this is the one thing that could get us in trouble come playoff time. It is IMO why so many games that haven't felt close have been on the scoreboard. We eat up clock and dominate games but allow too many points to be scored quickly.

8 or 10 minute drives that score are great, but when you let the other team run a 4 play 80 yard drive for 7 right after, games stay close.

So, while the numbers are deceptive, I think they are indicative of a concern, we have not established that we can go man and lock down the passing game. Until we do, I think we are going to get gouged in the passing game too.

All that matters is the points. I don't know why defenses are ranked by yards anyway. Yards don't win games. Points do. We don't give up many TDs in the red zone which is the highlight of a bend but don't break defense. Our secondary is getting better each Sunday. Remember: our safeties only have a combined 3 years of experience. Dunta didn't have a full offseason to gel with these guys neither. Grimes is the only one showing why he is our best player in the secondary (even though Moore is the more impactful) because of his experience in the system

Most teams cannot run against the Falcons defense and is usually playing catch-up. As a result, most teams accumulate substantial passing yards when they are forced to abandon the run. So, is the pass defense really a concern going into the playoffs when they just held a high-powered Packer's offense to 17 points?

hmmm.. it doesn't matter if we stop someone run game or not, just cause u stop them doesn't mean we suppose to give up yards through the air, look at the chargers, look at the steelers, they give you nothing, they shut you down on the ground and through the air...

All that matters is the points. I don't know why defenses are ranked by yards anyway. Yards don't win games. Points do. We don't give up many TDs in the red zone which is the highlight of a bend but don't break defense. Our secondary is getting better each Sunday. Remember: our safeties only have a combined 3 years of experience. Dunta didn't have a full offseason to gel with these guys neither. Grimes is the only one showing why he is our best player in the secondary (even though Moore is the more impactful) because of his experience in the system

well points translates into yards in a way, think about it: if you give up no yards then the chances of getting points is very very low, but if you give up a bunch of yards(bend but dnt break) then the chances of giving up points increases A LOT.... the same goes for our offense, if we couldnt move the ball how would we ever score? but we average 300+ yards a game and 25.5 points/gm translate to our yards per game...

Its funny because this was actually the same question about NO's pass defense last year. They gave up tons of yards and forced turnovers. Overall there is no question that our ability to cover receivers is the main problem spot on our own defense. At the same time it is pretty obvious that a lot of the yardage given up through a normal game is mostly because of the fact that our offense puts plenty of pressure on our secondary when we go up and take the lead all the time.

Regardless this defense is improving. Secondary included. That is what matters the most.

were not like NO last year, they couldnt stop the run or pass

If we weren't ranked 7th in the entire league in SCORING defense (the stat that TRULY matters the most), then I'd be concerned. But, considering we're ranked high in that particular category and 6th in the entire league against the RUN, I'm OK right now with the "bend but don't break" defense we're sporting. Our superb play against the run has pretty much caused teams to abandon it and, thus, become "one dimensional", which could also attribute to the skewed stats we see in our pass defense.

I can care less about giving up a bunch of yards in the passing game...Just as long as those passes don't start to equate to TDs/points! All that matters is that we end up with MORE POINTS at the end of the game than the opposing team...No matter "how" it comes about.

I think we should look at the first three quarters of each game and see how many pass yards our D gives up. Our pass D is stout until the DC decides to stop being aggressive and starts playing the safties and MLB 25-30 yards off the ball. Im not concerned with the secondary im concerned with the DC playing that soft cover 2 if he would stay agressive the whole game i think some of these close games we're having would easily turn into blowouts. With DeCoud-Moore and Grimes-D-Rob......there isn't too many secondaries better in my opinion even though we're very YOUNG

I was listening to Smitty on Sirius/XM on Tuesday. They asked him about the yardage given up in the game against Green Bay... his plan was to keep them out of the End Zone. He realizes the need to create more pressure with the front four. He would like to get more three and outs. Honestly with the current personnel the bend don't break is the best option right now, until they get what they want from the front four.

If we weren't ranked 7th in the entire league in SCORING defense (the stat that TRULY matters the most), then I'd be concerned. But, considering we're ranked high in that particular category and 6th in the entire league against the RUN, I'm OK right now with the "bend but don't break" defense we're sporting. Our superb play against the run has pretty much caused teams to abandon it and, thus, become "one dimensional", which could also attribute to the skewed stats we see in our pass defense.

I can care less about giving up a bunch of yards in the passing game...Just as long as those passes don't start to equate to TDs/points! All that matters is that we end up with MORE POINTS at the end of the game than the opposing team...No matter "how" it comes about.

i hear wat your saying, but it is a cause for concern, yea were winning, winning over shadows a lot of things that can go unnoticed... yea were ranked high in points allowed, and scoring D, but the fact that we do give up a lot of yards through the air in crucial times in a game could come back to bite us in the playoffs, weather its the secondary(LB,CB,S) or the DC, or maybe even the front four.... regardless of what it truly may be, its something to keep an eye on thats all....

i hear wat your saying, but it is a cause for concern, yea were winning, winning over shadows a lot of things that can go unnoticed... yea were ranked high in points allowed, and scoring D, but the fact that we do give up a lot of yards through the air in crucial times in a game could come back to bite us in the playoffs, weather its the secondary(LB,CB,S) or the DC, or maybe even the front four.... regardless of what it truly may be, its something to keep an eye on thats all....

Don't get me wrong...I DEFINITELY would like for us to improve our pass defense and elevate to an all around "lights out" defense. However, the chances of seeing a drastic improvement THIS year is pretty slim. I believe our low rank in pass defense hinges quite a bit on the lack of CONSISTENT pressure we are able to generate week to week from our front 4.

Again, as long as we can continue to keep opposing offenses out of the end zone allowing us to score more points than them, then I'm OK for now...

The Falcons offense consumes lots of clock during the course of a game. The Falcons D is tough to run against.

So teams have to throw more against us. Falcons do an ok job of not giving up the big play. Its very tough to get TDs in the red zone by trying to pass the ball when the opposing defense has already shut down your running game.

What I do not care for though is when the Falcons only rush 3 and drop 8 when its 3rd or 4th and long against a good qb. That I dont and will never care for. You must pressure the qb in the NFL. And if you really want to sufficate an offense...you need physical aggresive corners who can smack the WRs the minute they come off the LOS. You can absoultely cripple an offense that way...but it requires the proper personnel.