What is your top 10 Atlanta/Georgia Sports Memories

Quarterback

Here's mine:

1. Marquis Grissom's catch of the final out in the 1995 World Series.
  2. Georgia Bulldogs victory over Notre Dame for the 1980 NCAA Championship.
  3. Morton Anderson's winning kick in the 1998 NFC Championship game.
  4. Falcon's 20-14 victory over the Vikings in 1973 on MNF (Vikings were 9-0 entering the game).
  5. Sid Bream's slide in 1992 putting the Braves in the World Series.
  6. Deion Sanders punt return for a TD in his first NFL game in 1988 (even after he fumbled the catch).
  7. Hank Aaron's 715 HR.
  8. Vick's run against the Vikings.
  9. Vick's run against the Panthers.
  10. Matt Ryan's throw to Jenkins against the bears on 2008.

Honorable mention: Georgia Tech's "lethal weapon 3" making the final four; GT's NCAA basketball championship game; Georgia Bulldogs final 4 appearance with Terry Fair (the year after Dominique Wilkins left); 1991 Atlanta Braves.

#1. Deion Sanders arrival to Atlanta.

#2. Dominique Hawks vs Celtics in the OMNI.

#3. Superbowl in Georgia Dome.

#4. Olympics Opening at Turner Field.

#5. Braves Winning World Series.

#6. Vick breaking his leg.

#7. Overtime win against Steelers in GA DOME.

#8. Retire #21 for Dominique Wilkins..

#9. Fulton County Stadium.

#10. Ring of Honor for Deion Sanders

Good list - I'll just add a few.

The 1982 Braves starting the season with 13 straight wins including a couple that ended in dramatic fashion.

The 1990 GT Football team's unbelievable win over UVA and going on to the national championship.

Otis Nixon's unbelievable catch to preserve a 13 game winning streak in 1992.

He was correct, I was only 10 at the time so my memory was foggy:

Controversy struck on the morning of Game 6 when Atlanta newspapers printed stories that right fielder David Justice had ripped the city's fans for not matching their motivation of past seasons. Justice, who had been struggling in the postseason, was vilified before the game, but when his sixth inning home run broke a 0–0 tie, he became a hero. Tom Glavine pitched eight innings of one-hit ball (just the fifth one-hitter in Series history) to help earn him the Series MVP. The lone hit was a bloop-single by catcher Tony Peña in the sixth. Closer Mark Wohlers pitched the ninth inning, preserving the 1–0 shutout and Atlanta's coveted title when Carlos Baerga's fly ball landed in center fielder Marquis Grissom's glove. Carlos Baerga was responsible for making the last out in three of the four Cleveland losses; Games 1, 2 and 6.

If every umpire gave Glavine and Maddux the strike zone Tommy G got that night, the Braves would have won 5 World Series instead of 1.

Good list - I'll just add a few.

The 1982 Braves starting the season with 13 straight wins including a couple that ended in dramatic fashion.

The 1990 GT Football team's unbelievable win over UVA and going on to the national championship.

Otis Nixon's unbelievable catch to preserve a 13 game winning streak in 1992.

The GT 1990 NC could have been much more special had it not been split with the 2 loss Colorado team. Yes, 2 loses because, they were awarded incorrectly a 5th down that would have never happened with today's instant replay.

At least the coach's poll had it right!

1.) Being able to walk onto the field during the 4th of July game against the Phillies this year to celebrate/honor the lives of the men and women who serve next to, before, and after me. Dream come true for a life long Braves fan that day.

2.) Bobby Cox and my 25 years of existance. He's been there since day 1. I hate the thought of him not being there.

3.) A signed baseball by Bobby Cox that my wife got signed for me, after sending them a letter telling them about my current deployment.

4.) World Series Win in 95. I can still remember the call of the final out..

5.) Sid Bream's slide to send us to the World Series. Arguably the slowest guy ON THE PLANET, and he sent us. Another absolute amazing commentated play.

6.) The arrival of Matt Ryan and everything that has happened since.

7.) Morten Anderson kicking the winning field goal to beat the Vikings to send the Falcons to their first superbowl

8.) Anytime the Bulldogs beat GT

9.) Georgia's win over Florida where the entire team stormed the field after Moreno dove into the endzone

10.) Falcons victory over Buffalo last year. Took my best friend with me who is a Buffalo fan. Had a great time.

1. 1998 Falcons beat Vikings and get to the Super Bowl

2. 1995 Braves win World Series

3. 1992 Sid Bream's slide

4. 1990 GT National title

5. 2004 GT Final Four - made it to Championship game vs UConn

6. 1990 GT Final Four vs UNLV

7. Falcons 2004 season - playoff win at home vs Rams

8. 1988 playoffs - Hawks vs Celtics - Nique vs Bird

9. 1996 Olympics

10. 1999 NLCS vs Mets - Every game had me on edge.

10. Nique vs Bird in the 87 playoff game

9. Vick levitation play against the Panties in 2004

8. Bart to White Shoes Hail Mary in 83 against the Niners

7. Xmas eve pass from Hebert to Mathis in 95 to knock off the Niners and advance to the playoffs

6. First playoff road victory in Lambeau in 2002

5. Jam diving over the goal line to beat the Niners in the 98 playoff game

4. Hawks Game 6 against BOS in 2008

3. Justice homer in the 95 Championship victory

2. Bream Slide in 92

1. Mort kicking us into a Bowl in 98

Honorable mention to Rick Camp's late, late, late night home run on the 4th of July to improbably prolong one of the longest games in MLB history.

Yeah that was a good one. Too bad he was so happy with himself that he went out there and gave up 5 runs in the next inning lol.

1. Falcons 12-4 season and first divisional playoff game against the 'Boys in 79-80.

Well, that would have actually been 80-81.

But....really......out of all of the great things that have happened in Atlanta, your top memory is the most painful loss in Falcons history?

1. "Well, I can't believe it. 92 yards and Lindsay really got in a footrace, I broke my chair, I came right through a chair, a metal STEEL chair with about a five inch cushion"

2. Sid's slide into home vs the Pirates 'Braves win, Braves win, Braves win'

3. Justice's HR in the WS to win game 6

4. Miller to Haynes 61 yd TD in a playoff game vs the Aint's in 1991

5. Harold Green getting a big first down late in a game versus Detroit in 98. Took a little dump pass and converted a 3rd and forever. We were behind at the time.

6. Herschel Walker scoring a 91 yd TD against us on while playing for the Eagles in 1994. He still was insanely fast ... he got to the edge and he was GONE.

7. Ryan to Jenks against Chicago

8. MV7's TD run in overtime vs the Vikes

9. Dennis Scott taking an inbound pass versus Clemson and turning to hit a no look 3 as time expired.

10. Any HR Dale Murphy ever hit.

Okay....

1. Hank hitting 715

2. Bartkowski to Jackson, Jenkins and W. Francis

3. Andrews and Cain

4. Dominique Wilkins

5. "Prime Time"

6. Atlanta Braves 91, 92, 93, World Series...etc.

7. Atlanta Falcons Superbowl

8. Mike Vick

9 Matt Ryan

10. Atlanta Dream to the WNBA Championship Game

These easily stood out without having to think much at all. ;)

Okay....

1. Hank hitting 715

2. Bartkowski to Jackson, Jenkins and W. Francis

3. Andrews and Cain

4. Dominique Wilkins

5. "Prime Time"

6. Atlanta Braves 91, 92, 93, World Series...etc.

7. Atlanta Falcons Superbowl

8. Mike Vick

9 Matt Ryan

10. Atlanta Dream to the WNBA Championship Game

These easily stood out without having to think much at all. ;)

I forgot about the Falcons losing to Dallas after leading my 2 TDs with less than 2 or 3 mins left to go to the NFCCG. Drew Pearson across the middle for about 50 yards.... :angry:

Well, that would have actually been 80-81.

But....really......out of all of the great things that have happened in Atlanta, your top memory is the most painful loss in Falcons history?

It was very painful. But I remember being so elated during the days prior to the third quarter that it made up for it. It was the Birds first Divisional Playoff game I think, and figured they would have a nice run for a few years. Boy, was I wrong. ;)

Edited by Tim Mazetti