Falcons SS Moore impressing in first season as starter

hawkeye

Posted Nov. 27, 2010 @ 6:32 p.m. ET

By Dan Parr

An injury to Erik Coleman gave Falcons SS William Moore his first opportunity to start in Week Two, and he's established himself as one of the team's more promising young defensive players since then.

Moore has impressed the team with his rapid development after he missed all but two games of his rookie season. A second-round pick in 2009, Moore underwent knee surgery during the training camp before last season, and he made just two tackles before landing on injured reserve in late October '09 with a lingering hamstring injury.

In the four starts he made while Coleman was out recovering this season, Moore showed that he had the toughness and instincts to play closer to the line of scrimmage and help in run support and that he could be a playmaker in coverage, too. It was enough to convince the coaching staff that it needed him to be on the field, and Coleman didn't get his starting job back when he became healthy.

Falcons head coach Mike Smith recently said he's seen Moore, who has started the last nine games, improve each week.

"He's done a nice job in working on certain aspects of his game each and every week," Smith said. "He's like a sponge in terms of trying to become a better football player. He's taking the coaching very well, and physically I think he's got a chance to be a really good player. You're getting an opportunity now that he's got a few games underneath his belt to see what he's capable of doing. He's leading our team in interceptions and he's one of the hardest-hitting safeties that I've seen throughout this season."

Moore has 36 tackles, one forced fumble and four interceptions, the most recent of which helped seal Atlanta's win over St. Louis in the fourth quarter of a Week 11 game. Rams QB Sam Bradford attempted a shovel pass on 3rd-and-goal, and Moore stepped right into the passing lane for the pick.

Coleman, a seventh-year veteran, has been serving as the third safety, backing up Moore and FS Thomas DeCoud, and he also contributes on special teams. It's no surprise that he hasn't been happy about getting demoted, but he's accepted the role. The 28-year-old has one more year left on the contract he signed with Atlanta in '08.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/11/27/falcons-ss-moore-impressing-in-first-season-as-sta

I admit when I am wrong, and I was wrong about Moore. He's playing good football. For some reason he is always around the football. That interception in St. Louis was a game saver. I've watched that play again and again, he was not suppose to be in that lane. That play is what separates average from great players.

I have been waiting for the Falcons to get the caliber of Safety like Moore since Scott Case was playing back there.

(side note)Remember when Case played Corner and lead the league in picks? He had like 10 picks in one year

#25 Scott Case...............that dude would take your frigging head off! He could not play in todays game however. His salary would not cover the fines he would get. The Falcons would be paying him and have to pay the NFL at the end of the year! :lol::lol::lol:

I think Moore is just taking his game that he had his junior year and applying it to this year. Didn't he come into camp last year, overweight? Now, he is lean and big and will knock you on your you know what. He has great vision for the ball, awesome instincts. I am surprised he hasn't forced more fumbles with the way he hits.

Great looking safety who I predict can get in that Ed Reed category.

I admit when I am wrong, and I was wrong about Moore. He's playing good football. For some reason he is always around the football. That interception in St. Louis was a game saver. I've watched that play again and again, he was not suppose to be in that lane. That play is what separates average from great players.

This in stark contrast to Decoud who is rarely around the ball. I hope Decoud elevates his game at some point otherwise we should not automatically pencil him in as a starter for years to come. 34 solo tackles 3 pd and 1 interception on the year. In comparison, Coleman had 80/6/3 in 2008 at free safety.

Edited by peoriabird

Love Willy Mo! Or as I like to call him, Stringer Bell. :lol:

See for yourself!

200px-Willie_Moore.jpg

6hz7DVOfaihogh3wK3T7ILPpo1_500.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1251090489430

It's funny because there have only been a handful of plays(and penaltys) that made me remind myself he's basically a rookie. He is the player I wanted us to get in round one of '09 when we got PJ, and he looks every bit as good as I thought he would be. He's only gonna get better, which is scary for other teams. ^_^

This in stark contrast to Decoud who is rarely around the ball. I hope Decoud elevates his game at some point otherwise we should not automatically pencil him in as a starter for years to come. 34 solo tackles 3 pd and 1 interception on the year. In comparison, Coleman had 80/6/3 in 2008 at free safety.

Decoud has regressed this year, but let's not give up on him yet. He made a couple of bad decisions earlier in a couple of games. Since, he has played descent. Sometimes descent isn't enough.

Edited by Dr. Billings

Decoud has regressed this year, but let's not give up on him yet. He made a couple of bad decisions earlier in a couple of games. Since, he has played descent. Sometimes descent isn't enough.

Dont think Decoud has regressed...I dont judge a guy by 4 games... A bad season is a regression... He had a rough start of the season tho... He has been good since then tho.

Back to to the topic... It feels good to see William Moore doing his thing... I remember when some jumped on me because i was saying we need to hold on (some call him a bust already before the season..lol) ... I didnt know he was going to come in and play this good but i knew his tools from college translated to what TD wanted him to be for this team... The guy just needed to get healthy... If you see how hard he hits... You would see why he gets dinged up...

But yea.. What i like about our Safeties is Decoud and Moore is versatile... We blitz either one and drop either one centerfield... We can also ask either one to play man coverage... '

As long as both continue to improve... We will have a great future Safety combo.