Interesting Thread on Saints board

Aria7

they are idiots, can we stop caring about what they think? this is like the 10th thread linking to their forums about them talking about how lucky we are.

were 9-2 and atop the NFC. who cares what they think, they act like theyre some historically great franchise bc they won once, they are still the baghead aints.

The phrase 'missed field goal' popped up a lot. They really still cant get over that. Didn't they get lucky breaks as well? I mean, its not like the falcons are the only team that gets lucky breaks (i.e. stevie johnson's OT dropped pass, panthers fg attempt hits the upright, roy williams fumbles away to the saints). It's all part of the game.

How is a missed field goal 'luck'? Do they just add points to the board as soon as you get in range, or is the field goal kicker there and paid for a reason - as well as the snapper, the holder, the blockers in front. . .?

Why was this moved? Its about the falcons.

While most of the Saints fans are kicking themselves in the head over the kick, this guy is taking a different perspective to it.

Let's pretend Hartley makes that field goal and we are both 8-3 in the toughest division in football. At 8-3, having beaten GB last week, I still say the Falcs are one of the better teams in the league. And we would still have to go win in their house where they are 19-1 with Ryan. The Vikes were a great team last year. And I hate Favre. I watched that game 11 times and I still don't know how they lost that game. The fact that we beat a great team is a statement about how good the Saints are. If we go up to Atlanta and beat the Falcons in their dome, it's says we beat one of the elite teams in the league this year in their backyard. This is a statement about us. Running down our key top-notch opponents, only belittles the greatness of this Saints team.

I saw in the thread were a guy said:

**If Garret (Hartley) doesn't miss the chip shot field goal

**If Nate Clements doesn't fumble the ball

**If the refs don't rig the game for against Baltimore

**If Rodgers doesn't fumble, then the Falcons are 6-5

Well, my answer to that is....

**If the punt doesn't hit DeCoud in the foot and Saints recover, they aren't even in the game to be in position to send to overtime and miss the chip shot field goal.

**If Taylor Mays doesn't block and then recover the block punt in the endzone, then the 49ers aren't even in position

**if the Falcons don't allow Flacco to scramble for 13 yards on a 3rd and 9 in the 3rd quarter, they punt instead of going down the field and getting their first touchdown. They changes the dynamic of the game right there.

**If Dahl doesn't get that unnecessary roughness call and made it 3rd and 5 at GB 19 instead of 3rd and 20 at GB 34, maybe we get 5 yards or more and go in for the score.

My point is, stuff during the game happens, to both teams at different points in the game. You can't point to any one thing and say THAT is why the outcome happened because you can always find something earlier that happened that would have changed that outcome.

I'm just tired of fans of other teams looking at one thing and saying this is where the Falcons got lucky.

I haven't heard one person say yet that the Steelers were lucky when on a 3rd and 7 in overtime, Ryan hits Snelling for 9 yard but it's negated by a holding penalty, ultimately forcing us to punt and Mendenhall running for the game winner.

I guess when we win, it's lucky and when other teams win, its not.