Terrence Moore - Hater turning lover?

Well apparently he is coming around. So will all other media pundits. Guys, just give them time to soak into new Falcons. They have not seen anything like this from this team for decades. So they are just a bit incredulous.

Anyway, here is the article link followed by the text. Enjoy.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/11/29/matty-ice-fueling-red-hot-falcons-super-bowl-dreams/

ATLANTA -- Which is the best team in an NFL dominated by mediocrity disguised as parity? Nobody knows, but you should know that if the Atlanta Falcons don't reach Cowboys Stadium in February for the Super Bowl, they'll come within one of their tail feathers.

The truth is, this collection of Falcons would be impressive even in a stronger league.

Enlightened management. Splendid coaching. A bruising running game that is spurred by an efficient offensive line. Clutch wide receivers and a Hall of Fame tight end. An opportunistic defense, along with a field-goal kicker who never misses when it counts.

And Matt Ryan.

Definitely, Matt Ryan.

It's about Ryan, all right, since it's always about the quarterback in the NFL, and this guy with the calm of an assassin is helping the Falcons evolve into the 21st-century version of the Dirty Birds. The original ones flew 12 years ago, and they won the NFC championship game with Chris Chandler, who was a solid quarterback, but who was no Matt Ryan.

"I think that right now, him, Trent Green and Rich Gannon are right there at the top of any quarterback I've ever played with," said Tony Gonzalez, that future Hall of Fame tight end, of Ryan. "He has to keep doing what he's been doing by improving week in and week out. He just needs experience. The more he gets, the more comfortable he'll be on the field, and the better we'll do as an offense.

"But I really think that before it's all said and done, Matt could be one of the better ones.

"He will be the best."

Thomas George: Falcons Seemingly Unstoppable at Home

That is, the best that Gonzalez ever played with. He didn't mean the best quarterback ever -- I think. At the moment, Ryan isn't even the best in the league, which is why we need a little perspective here.

At the top of Ryan's peers, you have Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger, because they've fluctuated between pretty good and pretty great, and they've also won Super Bowls.

Philip Rivers hasn't, and neither has Michael Vick, but they've been to multiple Pro Bowls.

Then you have Aaron Rodgers, who has survived Brett Favre's shadow enough to keep the Green Bay Packers vibrant. You also have Ryan's contemporary, Joe Flacco, who finished last year as just the fourth starting quarterback since the 1970 merger to reach the playoffs in his first two NFL seasons.

So, if you had a huge game that you had to win today, you'd start by taking Manning, Brady or Roethlisberger.

Or would you?

Ryan keeps succeeding in these last-minute (literally) dramas for the Falcons without blinking -- the latest came against the Packers on Sunday at the Georgia Dome, where he is now 19-1. That's because, with 49 seconds left in a 17-17 tie, Ryan completed four straight passes (along the way to going 24 of 28 for 198 yards and a touchdown overall) to set up Matt Bryant's game-wining field goal of 47 yards.

Last month, the Falcons trailed the San Francisco 49ers with 82 seconds left, but Ryan pushed his team downfield for a game-winning field goal of 43 yards from Bryant.

Several weeks later, there was the Baltimore Ravens game that was considered the pivotal game for the Falcons before Sunday's. Inside the last minute, Ryan ignored another deficit for a game-winning touchdown pass of 33 yards to Roddy White.

This Matty Ice thing didn't just happen this year for the Falcons. Consider his rookie year: His first NFL pass was a 62-yard touchdown to Michael Jenkins. It was the longest touchdown pass of more than 50 yards by somebody making his NFL debut since 1969, when somebody named Roger Staubach did it.

In addition, Ryan's first season featured the most perfect throw you'll ever see, when he connected with Jenkins with one second left against the Chicago Bears. The play went for 26 yards, and the Falcons then hit a game-winning field goal as time expired.

Speaking of Staubach, this is the stuff of that Dallas Cowboys legend whose calm in a huddle ranked with that of Joe Montana.

As for Ryan's huddle ...

Falcons running back Ovie Mughelli laughed, shaking his head.

"Ohhhh," Mughelli finally said. "Probably poise would be the word that would describe it best. The pressure never gets to him. For him, it's about being able to stay calm. It's about staying focused. It's about playing like it's any other down. He ends up throwing in crunch time like he's in somebody's backyard playing pickup football."

That's interesting, but what does Ryan say in the huddle? What does he do, and how is he able to inspire? Mughelli added, "He starts by saying, 'Y'all calm down. You've got to breathe.' His objective is to get us to the level that he's at. Some of us -- especially myself -- I'm a fullback, so I'm hyped, and I'm excited. I want to hit somebody."

In contrast, Ryan always looks as if he is preparing for a stroll in flip-flops along a quiet PIRATED VIDEO IS ILLEGAL.

So much for appearances. According to the guy who began the weekend with the best passer rating against the blitz (98.7) of anybody not named Drew Brees, he keeps an inferno in his belly.

"I must hide my emotions very well, because I get fired up before the game, and I get anxious every week," Ryan said. "It doesn't change. With that said, when you get out there, and you start playing the game, and you've put in a great week of preparation, it allows you to just go out there and play and trust in your abilities."

Which brings me to a reason I said that management is "enlightened" and that coaching is "splendid."

Atlanta's dynamic duo of general manager Thomas Dimitroff and head coach Mike Smith inherited one of the biggest messes in NFL history when they came to the Falcons after the 2007 season. Not only was the franchise fresh from Michael Vick's dogfighting horrors, but its previous coach, Bobby Petrino, bolted in the middle of the night before the end of his first season to call Hogs at Arkansas.

Given the above, along with the Falcons' third pick overall in the 2008 NFL Draft, Dimitroff and Smith had to select a quarterback to replace Vick, and it had to be the right one.

"In doing our due diligence, we put him through a lot of things. We put him under pressure," said Smith of Ryan, who was a four-year starter at Boston College. "We had a dinner in Boston, and it was about nine of us from the Falcons, and it was just him. He was fine in that pressure-packed situation, where he's sitting with the owner, the general manager, the head coach, the offensive coordinator, the quarterbacks coach ...

"You could see very quickly he was calm, cool and collected."

Now all Ryan must do to join the elite on an official level is grab a ring sooner rather than later.

That's all.

This gem he wrote back in April 2008 has to be one of my all time favorite examples of his "great insight" while at the AJC...

Moore

Picking Ryan ‘highly debatable’

By Terence Moore | Saturday, April 26, 2008, 07:14 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Flowery Branch — Matt Ryan? Not a brutal pick for the Falcons at No. 3 overall in the NFL draft on Saturday, but it was far from brilliant. Mediocre comes to mind, and so does this thought: If Michael Vick wasn’t officially gone before as the face of the Falcons, he is now.

That is, unless Vick leaves his flag-football team in prison as an offensive tackle, defensive tackle or cornerback, among the slew of positions his former team still needs to solidify to become relevant again.

Whether the Falcons still need to fill Vick’s old position of quarterback after selecting Ryan is debatable.

Highly debatable.

These two things aren’t debatable: First, with Ryan’s selection, Falcons officials dramatically sacked the public whispers about whether No. 7 and his exciting but controversial ways ever will return to the franchise again. Second, if you go by logic when it comes to trying to change the momentum of a reeling franchise, the Falcons just blew it, especially with the extraordinary Glenn Dorsey sitting there on the draft board as the defensive tackle that they really need. That’s because they don’t have any defensive tackles worth mentioning. Not only that, franchises such as the Falcons with offensively and defensively impaired lines should start by building those lines.

Instead, the Falcons drafted a quarterback, and remember: They don’t have enough decent folks to block for the guy anyway, even if he does play any time soon. It also isn’t comforting to know that the Falcons tried to help Ryan’s plight by trading for another first-round pick at No. 21 to reach for Sam Baker, an offensive lineman with short arms and owner of a damaged hamstring last season at USC.

Ryan has normal arms, and he lacks health issues, but he does have history issues to overcome. Quarterbacks taken in the first round often evolve into Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, David Carr or Alex Smith instead of somebody good. And, yes, Ryan has a nice resume. He completed 59 percent of his 654 passes last season at Boston College for 4,507 yards and 31 touchdowns. He also won the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award and was the ACC Player of the Year.

It’s just that Leaf was Ryan after leading Washington State to the Rose Bowl for the first time in 67 years while throwing a Pac 10-record 33 touchdowns. Couch was Ryan after leaving Kentucky with NCAA records for completions in a season and career completion percentage (67). Carr was Ryan after winning the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award while making Fresno State significant in football for the first time ever as a Sports Illustrated cover boy. Alex Smith was Ryan after helping Urban Meyer jump to the Mighty Gators after Ryan became the mighty engine for Urban Meyer’s spread offense at Utah.

Let’s just say Leaf, Couch, Carr and Smith aren’t in Starr, Montana, Favre or Manning territory. “Yeah, I’ve understood that along the way, as far as the percentages,” said general manager Thomas Dimitroff, running his first draft for the Falcons, or any NFL team, for that matter. “However, I think with Matt, it’s a combination of the intelligence that he has. The leadership ability that he has. I can’t stress it enough. He not only has the ability to take the offense but the whole team [to success]. To me, that’s huge. “I’ve been around a situation in New England where we had a quarterback with that same ability.”

Speaking of New England and that quarterback, Dimitroff spent six seasons working in the Patriots’ scouting department, and this is the same Patriots franchise that won three of its four Super Bowls with Tom Brady leading the way.

Brady was a sixth-round pick.

With all of those picks for the Falcons (11 overall, including four among the top 48 to start the day), they could have selected Dorsey at No. 3 and taken a chance later in the draft on John David Booty, Chad Henne or Andre’ Woodson becoming their Tom Brady. After all, those quarterbacks aren’t that much more of an NFL gamble than the one they got.

Great insight Terence! :D

This gem he wrote back in April 2008 has to be one of my all time favorite examples of his "great insight" while at the AJC...

Moore

Picking Ryan ‘highly debatable’

By Terence Moore | Saturday, April 26, 2008, 07:14 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Flowery Branch — Matt Ryan? Not a brutal pick for the Falcons at No. 3 overall in the NFL draft on Saturday, but it was far from brilliant. Mediocre comes to mind, and so does this thought: If Michael Vick wasn’t officially gone before as the face of the Falcons, he is now.

That is, unless Vick leaves his flag-football team in prison as an offensive tackle, defensive tackle or cornerback, among the slew of positions his former team still needs to solidify to become relevant again.

Whether the Falcons still need to fill Vick’s old position of quarterback after selecting Ryan is debatable.

Highly debatable.

These two things aren’t debatable: First, with Ryan’s selection, Falcons officials dramatically sacked the public whispers about whether No. 7 and his exciting but controversial ways ever will return to the franchise again. Second, if you go by logic when it comes to trying to change the momentum of a reeling franchise, the Falcons just blew it, especially with the extraordinary Glenn Dorsey sitting there on the draft board as the defensive tackle that they really need. That’s because they don’t have any defensive tackles worth mentioning. Not only that, franchises such as the Falcons with offensively and defensively impaired lines should start by building those lines.

Instead, the Falcons drafted a quarterback, and remember: They don’t have enough decent folks to block for the guy anyway, even if he does play any time soon. It also isn’t comforting to know that the Falcons tried to help Ryan’s plight by trading for another first-round pick at No. 21 to reach for Sam Baker, an offensive lineman with short arms and owner of a damaged hamstring last season at USC.

Ryan has normal arms, and he lacks health issues, but he does have history issues to overcome. Quarterbacks taken in the first round often evolve into Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, David Carr or Alex Smith instead of somebody good. And, yes, Ryan has a nice resume. He completed 59 percent of his 654 passes last season at Boston College for 4,507 yards and 31 touchdowns. He also won the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award and was the ACC Player of the Year.

It’s just that Leaf was Ryan after leading Washington State to the Rose Bowl for the first time in 67 years while throwing a Pac 10-record 33 touchdowns. Couch was Ryan after leaving Kentucky with NCAA records for completions in a season and career completion percentage (67). Carr was Ryan after winning the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award while making Fresno State significant in football for the first time ever as a Sports Illustrated cover boy. Alex Smith was Ryan after helping Urban Meyer jump to the Mighty Gators after Ryan became the mighty engine for Urban Meyer’s spread offense at Utah.

Let’s just say Leaf, Couch, Carr and Smith aren’t in Starr, Montana, Favre or Manning territory. “Yeah, I’ve understood that along the way, as far as the percentages,” said general manager Thomas Dimitroff, running his first draft for the Falcons, or any NFL team, for that matter. “However, I think with Matt, it’s a combination of the intelligence that he has. The leadership ability that he has. I can’t stress it enough. He not only has the ability to take the offense but the whole team [to success]. To me, that’s huge. “I’ve been around a situation in New England where we had a quarterback with that same ability.”

Speaking of New England and that quarterback, Dimitroff spent six seasons working in the Patriots’ scouting department, and this is the same Patriots franchise that won three of its four Super Bowls with Tom Brady leading the way.

Brady was a sixth-round pick.

With all of those picks for the Falcons (11 overall, including four among the top 48 to start the day), they could have selected Dorsey at No. 3 and taken a chance later in the draft on John David Booty, Chad Henne or Andre’ Woodson becoming their Tom Brady. After all, those quarterbacks aren’t that much more of an NFL gamble than the one they got.

Great insight Terence! :D

in retrospect, there were a bunch of people wrong about that.... myself being one of them. But Moore is a TOOL regardless.

Terrence has to be pissed, he b!thched and moaned about being stuck in Atlanta with their bad teams, now he's gone and he's sucking up.

Hes not gone, on Sports sunday at 1130 on sundays on channel 2, they always have Terrance on, hes still living in Atlanta. Just flys to do the Jim Rome show, Its funny I have hated some of the crap that terrance has said like above, but a lot of times, he was dead on, but people just don't want to hear the truth. ;)

Edited by nativefalcon

Hes not gone, on Sports sunday at 1130 on sundays on channel 2, they always have Terrance on, hes still living in Atlanta. Just flys to do the Jim Rome show, Its funny I have hated some of the crap that terrance has said, but a lot of times, he was dead on, but people just don't want to hear the truth. ;)

SOrry. He dragged out the race card too many times to have any credibility with me.

NO WAY! Moore CAN NOT jump on this bandwagon! He can choke to death on the garbage he wrote about every single sports team in Atlanta for years. No way, not on this band wagon.

Who remembers his last article for the AJC. I forget what it was titled, but it might as well have been called: "Why not sports team in Atlanta is good enough, and why they will never be good enough."

"...when you get out there, and you start playing the game, and you've put in a great week of preparation..."

I love to read that... this quote above is what's gonna help make him one of the best in the game. Blank and management will always keep top, well-coached talent around him.

He just has to keep up his end of the bargain, and it looks like he certainly will.

Not me. Ryan Leaf didn't throw nearly as many college interceptions as Ryan did. I thought Ryan was a completely wasted draft pick. I also didn't want Dorsey. I wanted a trade up for Jake Long.

I was pretty much wrong.

RYan Leaf also didn't attempt nearly as many college PASSES as Matt RYan. Their pass attempts per interception were almost dead on identical.

However, Leaf also completed, in his BEST season, 55% of his passes.

That is what I never got about that particular line of attack on Matt Ryan when Drafted. NONE woudl even THINK about considering how many passes were thrown when looking at the interceptions. They would just say "Oh! 19 interceptions! He must be INT prone!" I mean, 654 passes. Almost no PRO quarterbacks throw that many in a 16 game season, and that was in only 13 games.

Were even you trying to compare him to RYAN LEAF?

The thing is, Moore wasn't wrong to provide a contrarian viewpoint -- or even question the pick. Fact is, most of the fanbase did.

With that said, he was wrong to say that the Falcons "blew it" and suggest what we should have done and not could have done, as if he already knew how Ryan's story with the Falcons would unfold, and as you say, immediately lump him into the same category as Ryan Leaf, David Carr and the slew of other retreads he mentioned when again, Ryan's story is yet to be written.

I must admit, even I wanted us to draft Jake Long (of course he ended up going first overall) and then his teammate Chad Henne in the second.

Edited by Ric Roc

I absolutely wanted Jake Long, but I was more in favor of getting Sedrick Ellis - Of course I'm super glad we drafted Ryan. I posted that article simply because of how Terence seemed to want to attack any move that the "new regime" was making back in 2008. From head coach selection to the fact that they interviewed Dimitroff via teleconference, etc.

Edited by chipster10

Moore based his article more on the Falcons' past than anything else. After the Vick and Petrino debacles, why would he suddenly think the Falcons got it right?

Still Moore might have done his research some before writing that Leaf and any other QB could compare. Leaf was an immature man-child, its a wonder the man was drafted at all. He was one reason teams started putting so much more emphasis on character and past history beyond game stats. Ryan clearly does not have Leaf's arm, but not many QBs do.

I do think it is safe to say, if teams knew how good Ryan would be, he never would have lasted to the third pick of the draft.

Moore also slammed the Falcons for hiring Coach Smith. That would be another article worth dredging up and reprinting.

Well apparently he is coming around. So will all other media pundits. Guys, just give them time to soak into new Falcons. They have not seen anything like this from this team for decades. So they are just a bit incredulous.

Anyway, here is the article link followed by the text. Enjoy.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/11/29/matty-ice-fueling-red-hot-falcons-super-bowl-dreams/

ATLANTA -- Which is the best team in an NFL dominated by mediocrity disguised as parity? Nobody knows, but you should know that if the Atlanta Falcons don't reach Cowboys Stadium in February for the Super Bowl, they'll come within one of their tail feathers.

The truth is, this collection of Falcons would be impressive even in a stronger league.

Enlightened management. Splendid coaching. A bruising running game that is spurred by an efficient offensive line. Clutch wide receivers and a Hall of Fame tight end. An opportunistic defense, along with a field-goal kicker who never misses when it counts.

And Matt Ryan.

Definitely, Matt Ryan.

It's about Ryan, all right, since it's always about the quarterback in the NFL, and this guy with the calm of an assassin is helping the Falcons evolve into the 21st-century version of the Dirty Birds. The original ones flew 12 years ago, and they won the NFC championship game with Chris Chandler, who was a solid quarterback, but who was no Matt Ryan.

"I think that right now, him, Trent Green and Rich Gannon are right there at the top of any quarterback I've ever played with," said Tony Gonzalez, that future Hall of Fame tight end, of Ryan. "He has to keep doing what he's been doing by improving week in and week out. He just needs experience. The more he gets, the more comfortable he'll be on the field, and the better we'll do as an offense.

"But I really think that before it's all said and done, Matt could be one of the better ones.

"He will be the best."

Thomas George: Falcons Seemingly Unstoppable at Home

That is, the best that Gonzalez ever played with. He didn't mean the best quarterback ever -- I think. At the moment, Ryan isn't even the best in the league, which is why we need a little perspective here.

At the top of Ryan's peers, you have Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger, because they've fluctuated between pretty good and pretty great, and they've also won Super Bowls.

Philip Rivers hasn't, and neither has Michael Vick, but they've been to multiple Pro Bowls.

Then you have Aaron Rodgers, who has survived Brett Favre's shadow enough to keep the Green Bay Packers vibrant. You also have Ryan's contemporary, Joe Flacco, who finished last year as just the fourth starting quarterback since the 1970 merger to reach the playoffs in his first two NFL seasons.

So, if you had a huge game that you had to win today, you'd start by taking Manning, Brady or Roethlisberger.

Or would you?

Ryan keeps succeeding in these last-minute (literally) dramas for the Falcons without blinking -- the latest came against the Packers on Sunday at the Georgia Dome, where he is now 19-1. That's because, with 49 seconds left in a 17-17 tie, Ryan completed four straight passes (along the way to going 24 of 28 for 198 yards and a touchdown overall) to set up Matt Bryant's game-wining field goal of 47 yards.

Last month, the Falcons trailed the San Francisco 49ers with 82 seconds left, but Ryan pushed his team downfield for a game-winning field goal of 43 yards from Bryant.

Several weeks later, there was the Baltimore Ravens game that was considered the pivotal game for the Falcons before Sunday's. Inside the last minute, Ryan ignored another deficit for a game-winning touchdown pass of 33 yards to Roddy White.

This Matty Ice thing didn't just happen this year for the Falcons. Consider his rookie year: His first NFL pass was a 62-yard touchdown to Michael Jenkins. It was the longest touchdown pass of more than 50 yards by somebody making his NFL debut since 1969, when somebody named Roger Staubach did it.

In addition, Ryan's first season featured the most perfect throw you'll ever see, when he connected with Jenkins with one second left against the Chicago Bears. The play went for 26 yards, and the Falcons then hit a game-winning field goal as time expired.

Speaking of Staubach, this is the stuff of that Dallas Cowboys legend whose calm in a huddle ranked with that of Joe Montana.

As for Ryan's huddle ...

Falcons running back Ovie Mughelli laughed, shaking his head.

"Ohhhh," Mughelli finally said. "Probably poise would be the word that would describe it best. The pressure never gets to him. For him, it's about being able to stay calm. It's about staying focused. It's about playing like it's any other down. He ends up throwing in crunch time like he's in somebody's backyard playing pickup football."

That's interesting, but what does Ryan say in the huddle? What does he do, and how is he able to inspire? Mughelli added, "He starts by saying, 'Y'all calm down. You've got to breathe.' His objective is to get us to the level that he's at. Some of us -- especially myself -- I'm a fullback, so I'm hyped, and I'm excited. I want to hit somebody."

In contrast, Ryan always looks as if he is preparing for a stroll in flip-flops along a quiet PIRATED VIDEO IS ILLEGAL.

So much for appearances. According to the guy who began the weekend with the best passer rating against the blitz (98.7) of anybody not named Drew Brees, he keeps an inferno in his belly.

"I must hide my emotions very well, because I get fired up before the game, and I get anxious every week," Ryan said. "It doesn't change. With that said, when you get out there, and you start playing the game, and you've put in a great week of preparation, it allows you to just go out there and play and trust in your abilities."

Which brings me to a reason I said that management is "enlightened" and that coaching is "splendid."

Atlanta's dynamic duo of general manager Thomas Dimitroff and head coach Mike Smith inherited one of the biggest messes in NFL history when they came to the Falcons after the 2007 season. Not only was the franchise fresh from Michael Vick's dogfighting horrors, but its previous coach, Bobby Petrino, bolted in the middle of the night before the end of his first season to call Hogs at Arkansas.

Given the above, along with the Falcons' third pick overall in the 2008 NFL Draft, Dimitroff and Smith had to select a quarterback to replace Vick, and it had to be the right one.

"In doing our due diligence, we put him through a lot of things. We put him under pressure," said Smith of Ryan, who was a four-year starter at Boston College. "We had a dinner in Boston, and it was about nine of us from the Falcons, and it was just him. He was fine in that pressure-packed situation, where he's sitting with the owner, the general manager, the head coach, the offensive coordinator, the quarterbacks coach ...

"You could see very quickly he was calm, cool and collected."

Now all Ryan must do to join the elite on an official level is grab a ring sooner rather than later.

That's all.

Good read, but don't let him on the bus. He don't deserve to be near a Falcons fan, and no other team in the ATL. He's done nothing but bash.