Awesome Game: Only one glaring weakness on team

MSalmon

in offseason. That one glaring "weakness" might be Harry Douglass. Don't know if it is the knee but we lack that great YAC guy that can line up in the slot. The upgrade might be a speedy back that can also line up in the slot with great hands, or a WR. But that is about the only major area that we don't seem to have. I'm really pleased with the Snelling and Turner combo. Jenkins is a nice possession guy. Well Roddy is just bad azz.

Having the guy be a return guy would be a plus.

in offseason. That one glaring "weakness" might be Harry Douglass. Don't know if it is the knee but we lack that great YAC guy that can line up in the slot. The upgrade might be a speedy back that can also line up in the slot with great hands, or a WR. But that is about the only major area that we don't seem to have. I'm really pleased with the Snelling and Turner combo. Jenkins is a nice possession guy. Well Roddy is just bad azz.

After watching Green Bay throw the ball at will in crunch time, you think our weakness is a #3 receiver? :wacko: :blink: :unsure: Our weakness is our pass defense: lack of front-4 pressure and weak coverage. We need a new Defensive Coordinator (more aggressive, knows how to close teams out), at least one DE pass rusher, and a better cover corner than Grimes.

After watching Green Bay throw the ball at will in crunch time, you think our weakness is a #3 receiver? :wacko: :blink: :unsure: Our weakness is our pass defense: lack of front-4 pressure and weak coverage. We need a new Defensive Coordinator (more aggressive, knows how to close teams out), at least one DE pass rusher, and a better cover corner than Grimes.

100% AGREE..the fourth down TD by the Pack showed how BVG thinks and its not very pretty. How do you only rush 3 with the ball on the 10? The Pack receivers had all day to wiggle open and their OL just stood there as our 3 guys were gassed!!No trickery on our part. We could have dialed up a delayed stunt or something to throw Aaron Rodgers off. Instead we ran around for what seemed an eternity until he was able to throw for the touchdown. This, my friends, really sucked!!

You people do relize he caught 3 to 4 passes on the game winning drive. FAR FROM our weekness as you put it!!!

Go FALCONS!!!!!!!!

You people do relize he caught 3 to 4 passes on the game winning drive. FAR FROM our weekness as you put it!!!

Go FALCONS!!!!!!!!

He's not explosive. Look i'm not knocking the falcons offense, but tell me that having a guy in the slot that can catch the ball and be a threat to break one open every time wouldn't help out Ryan even more? Particularly since Ryan is dead accurate on short to intermediate routes.

To the poster on the DE situation and the BVG knocking. Do you realize that our defense and BVGs strategy held a very explosive packers team to 17 points?

More aggressive? We blitz WAY too much as it is

Go FALCONS!!!!!!!!

He had 2 short receptions not 3 or 4, but at least he did step up and make the catches!

I think we have to be a little more patient with him. He is recovering from a major knee injury. Hopefully Roddy mentors him into the weapon we'd like him to be.

I also think the expectations around here were a little too high for him. When Roddy was holding out people had him as a potential quality number 1. Let's just wait and see how he develops and if we're having the same conversation next year at this time, maybe there will be cause for concern.

Douglas is doing fine. It usually takes a full 18 months to completely recover from his kind of knee injury. He is doing fine, and will improve.

If we need to upgrade, its in the special teams area.

Rev, it's not a knock on HD it's a question of upgrading a position, and adding a weapon. Drafting an explosive playmaking wr doesn't mean that we cut HD. BTW i agree we need STs help. A playmaking wr who's a dangerous returner would be a great addition.

But i agree, supposing that his knee recovers next year and he is that kind of explosive guy--great.

Harry caught the two biggest passes on the final drive....

just sayin....

HD caught 2 or 3 passes on the final GW drive, most were out routes that were going out of bounds, one in which he got shellacked and still held onto the ball.

Nah, HD isn't the weakness.

More aggressive? We blitz WAY too much as it is

but when we blitz, we still don't get the sacks we should get. that shovel pass play that Rodgers completed to keep that drive alive should never have happened, it looked like we had the chance to sack him and didnt' quite get there AGAIN. blitzing a lot is fine if you're getting to the QB and not wasting the extra people because he eludes or escapes and has time to find an open receiver downfield

In my humble opinion, our glaring weakness is our inconsistency involving QB pressure. Someone mentioned our pass defense as a whole and someone else mentioned our pass coverage. I believe our pass coverage is decent and our DB's and LB's in coverage are doing a decent job.

It would help out a whole lot better if we could at least faze the QB. Look at Rodgers yesterday, 13 or 14 rush attempts. That is ridiculous for any QB. Why did he run? Was it b/c he is Vick circa 2004, or is it b/c our secondary did a decent job in coverage? Also, every team gives up big plays and I actually believe we did an ok job at containing their receivers, especially Jennings. WE held these guys to 17 points and all they did was run 4 and 5 receiver sets.

So, with all that being said, if we can get pressure on the QB, we should be fine.

but when we blitz, we still don't get the sacks we should get. that shovel pass play that Rodgers completed to keep that drive alive should never have happened, it looked like we had the chance to sack him and didnt' quite get there AGAIN. blitzing a lot is fine if you're getting to the QB and not wasting the extra people because he eludes or escapes and has time to find an open receiver downfield

Last week, Moore got the INT at the goal line against the shovel pass, so honestly, we don't have a "steel curtain" type of Defense yet, but we have enough to keep people from scoring in situation when you'd think that they would score..... ;)

HD's injury always takes really 2 years to get back to 100% so he may step up next year. But yeah, a lot of it looks mental, and his hands havn't been that good but maybe that is because he has been concentraiting so much on getting his feet back. I say give him one more year, although I would still love to see us go reciever in round 1 or 2 (or tight end if Gonzo retires)

He's not explosive. Look i'm not knocking the falcons offense, but tell me that having a guy in the slot that can catch the ball and be a threat to break one open every time wouldn't help out Ryan even more? Particularly since Ryan is dead accurate on short to intermediate routes.

To the poster on the DE situation and the BVG knocking. Do you realize that our defense and BVGs strategy held a very explosive packers team to 17 points?

I also realize that this same defense has allowed some games to be closer than they should have. 9-2 is awesome and i am hyped, i just hope we dont get burnt down the line when it really counts. Right now i am confident when the offense is on the field knowing more times than not they are going to come through. The defense has yet to play good for a FULL 4 QUARTERS.

I also realize that this same defense has allowed some games to be closer than they should have. 9-2 is awesome and i am hyped, i just hope we dont get burnt down the line when it really counts. Right now i am confident when the offense is on the field knowing more times than not they are going to come through. The defense has yet to play good for a FULL 4 QUARTERS.

I'm finding ways to be content with the defense... ;)

Douglas is doing fine. It usually takes a full 18 months to completely recover from his kind of knee injury. He is doing fine, and will improve.

If we need to upgrade, its in the special teams area.

His issue is not his knee's but his hands, he just needs to catch the ball better now.

Well I wouldn't single out HD, but WR depth was easily the biggest team weakness coming into the season, and it still is.

Did you see how many WRs the Packers had out there that could make explosive plays? Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Driver......even some dude I never heard of named Brett Swain.

The Falcons have one player who can make explosive plays, and the rest of the guys, we are just satisfied if they catch the ball.

I'd say the glaring weakness is defensive playcalling when we have a lead. We cannot continue to count on Matt and the offense to bail us out late in games. The Packers are good but we've gotta start getting these stops when we have a lead late instead of letting teams drive down the field and get in a position to tie or take the lead. Yes, we won yesterday...but this issue needs to be fixed IMO or we're in trouble come January.

I'd say the glaring weakness is defensive playcalling when we have a lead. We cannot continue to count on Matt and the offense to bail us out late in games. The Packers are good but we've gotta start getting these stops when we have a lead late instead of letting teams drive down the field and get in a position to tie or take the lead. Yes, we won yesterday...but this issue needs to be fixed IMO or we're in trouble come January.

Yeah, that's one area where I have to fault BVG. He plays it safe when we have the lead, but ratches up the pressure when the game is tied or we're down. He needs to stop with that bend, but don't break stuff, but then again, I don't know if he does this due to the personnel he has to work with. His only bonafide pass rusher is Abe. Biermann really needs to elevate his game more.