Mock and Load: ATowN's mock

A-TowN.-

If you guys are thinking I am making too many mocks, then I am sorry. I hate to break the news to you, but come January 19th 2011, I won’t be posting here for 9 weeks. I will be shipped off at Basic Training for the Army. I am just trying to get as much Draft scenarios across as much as possible. I will appear later, but will be busy with AIT after Bootcamp. Hopefully I won’t miss the draft since I will miss the Combine and Senior Bowl unfortunately.

Here’s the plan I have come up with, one of many IMO

--

FA: Robert Mathis – Doesn’t seem to be in the plans of the Colts future. The Colts have to pay a lot of people before he can get paid. Will be a good investment since it is a weak DE class after the first couple rounds and we need pressure now. We will actually have another DE to pair with Abraham. Both are smart savy vets who can teach our young developing DEs even more. TD always makes one beneficial signing, and I think he will either go DE or LB. Will boost our pass defense and increase our sack numbers across the board.

2011 Draft

1. Aaron Williams, CB Texas – A young true shut down type corner. Has a lot of potential. Good size and speed. Good fundamental athlete. Nice fluid hips and solid backpedal/footwork. Good man coverage skills and good closing speed. Can recover quickly and reads routes well. Very good ball skills and awareness. Head is on a swivel. Sticks to WRs, leaves little separation. Good tackler and knows how to turn the ball over. Solid on special teams. Smart, high character and a team player (TD type guy). Will help our 26th ranked pass defense.

2. Titus Young, WR Boise State – He’s a playmaker as a WR and a good return man. Gains separation well, and has excellent quickness. Fast player and can run by CBs. Above average route runner. Good hands and is a YAC type player. Solid cuts on some routes. Needs to learn how to be more physical and get better off of jams if he wants to be a number two. Tough player and smart. Has good awareness and is a hard worker. The things he needs to work on can be taught easily.

3. D.J. Williams, TE Arkansas – Aaron Hernandez type of player. Good YAC and receiving TE. Great blocker. Can play as a FB tweener, but is a good receiving threat. Could be used in a lot of ways. Good hands, hard-nosed, and athletic. An all-around football player. Knows how to get to soft Zone spots. Is quicker than fast, but can run past LBs. Will learn a lot from Tony. If we don’t grab him or Kendricks, Egnew should be a top priority next year.

4. Lee Ziemba, OT Auburn – A tackle who is athletic enough to be developed into a LT. Solid pass blocking ability. Nice feet and slide. Mobile and pulls well. Drives through defenders. Great run blocker. Holds his defender at the POA and sticks to him. Has a mean streak. Smart and high football IQ. Could be a solid RT and groomed to be a replacement of either tackle spot. Needs to be quicker off the line and be less sloppy, but can be coached up with our excellent Oline coach. Fits the mold of our Oline. Versatile. Will slip because he is a little raw.

5. Baron Batch, HB Texas Tech – Underrated RB. One of the quickest RB in the draft. Hits the holes very quickly and uses his straight-line speed to run to daylight. Great balance and foot movement. Surprisingly nimble and hardnosed. Mixed with great speed, and the toughness to lower his pads. Another all-around football player. Can do it all from the backfield. Solid hands and good pass catching RB. Versatile. Great vision and awareness. May need to bulk up a little. Smart and determined. Loves the game. Keeps his feet moving after contact. Nice moves and power which goes well with his elusive speed. A game changer, and a perfect 3rd down back. Could be more than a 3rd down back though.

6. Denarius Moore, WR Tennessee – Raw WR prospect. Could be a gem, former track star. Solid hands and awareness. Deep threat WR. Good YAC player, nice moves and quickness. Big play ability. Hard worker. Clutch player and very productive. Very athletic. Uses speed to separate, needs to learn how to run better routes, but nothing Roddy couldn’t teach him. Huge upside and potential. Willing blocker. Creates positive yardage with the ball in his hands, and in big chunks, averaging around 20 YPC this year.

7. Adrian Moten, LB Maryland – Another underrated player. Could play all three LB spots. ST warrior but also a solid LB. Great versus the run, great anticipation and instincts. Great athlete. Quick and flies around the ball. Football smart and hits his gaps well. Sheds block above average. A team leader. Great in coverage and gets his hands on the ball. 4 interceptions this year. Could press Nicholas for a starting job but both are nearly the same type of player. Both could split time.

7. Derrick Epperson, P Baylor – Both our kicking games have been good. But Bryant has been better than Koenen IMO. We could take either Epperson or Henery here. Henery is a great FG kicker, but Epperson has a heck of a leg for punts and kickoffs. More than 25 punts inside the 10, and averages around 42 yards a punt. Has an accurate leg too.

7. Joe Lefeged, S Rutgers – An athletic safety. Good coverage skills, very instinctive, and can lay the wood. He is one of the best KR in the country this year. Can be a great ST player for us. Reminds me of McCourty’s versatility. Blocks kicks, punts, returns kicks. Great defensive back. Flies around the ball and gets his hands on it. Only needs to work on the actual interception part. He is flying under the radar but he will stick due to how high his potential is.

--

2012 first two picks

1. Vinny Curry, DE Marshall - 12.5 sacks so far this year. Can take over for Abraham right away. That is if Abe leaves. If not, we should prob grab Egnew the TE from Missouri or an OT.

2. Juron Criner, WR Arizona – 99 yards receiving per game this year, the prototypical number two WR. Big, fast, and savy. Perfect complement for Roddy.

--

Conclusion: We have a potentially top 10 secondary. Special team nightmare. Field stretching passing game that has tons of mismatches and speed. Solid D-Line. Looking like a Patriot type team with Super Bowl Champs written on it.

I really like this mock.

Your picks fit all our needs.

The idea of grabbing Mathis is intriguing to me. Mathis doesn't play the run very well but in a rotation he could very extremely effective.

Thanks, yeah I like Mathis but with a good rotation we could really see a huge improvement with our pass rush. Especially on 2nd and 3rd down. We could also look at Kiwanuka.

Good mock AT. Good luck with the Army too. I served mine 20+ years ago.

Thanks man. That's awesome you served, I am really excited to do it too but I am really nervous.

good luck with the Army. We sure will miss you around here.

Thanks man. Hopefully around early April I will get my laptop sent up here. I hate the fact I am missing my favorite part of the football year during the offseason. I will miss it here for sure, don't make me sad man lol

Nice mock A-Town. Spot-on with meeting team needs. CB is rising on the high priority fill especially if DE is addressed in FA.

A name in your mock that isn't mention in many is Lee Ziemba. He is a LT in college that probably be RT in pros. Good pass protector as well as run blocker. Plays with a man streak. Tough, plays hurt.

Good luck in the Army. I'm at my 19 1/2 year point in the Air Force.....so as my career is closing, yours is starting. I haven't regretted a thing, have soooooo many memories that I otherwise would not have had the opportunity.

Hope you get to enjoy a Falcon's Super Bowl with your Army buddies....

Stay safe.

really like the idea of getting mathis, and I also really like the first round pick. Solid draft, i would be happy with this offseason.

Thanks man. I think we need to grab some sort of DE early, if not through FA then our first pick.

Nice mock A-Town. Spot-on with meeting team needs. CB is rising on the high priority fill especially if DE is addressed in FA.

A name in your mock that isn't mention in many is Lee Ziemba. He is a LT in college that probably be RT in pros. Good pass protector as well as run blocker. Plays with a man streak. Tough, plays hurt.

Good luck in the Army. I'm at my 19 1/2 year point in the Air Force.....so as my career is closing, yours is starting. I haven't regretted a thing, have soooooo many memories that I otherwise would not have had the opportunity.

Hope you get to enjoy a Falcon's Super Bowl with your Army buddies....

Stay safe.

Thanks. I like Lee, I think he can be coached up real well and be a great OT.

That's awesome that you are close to retirement, can't wait til I am there. I will be at North Georgia for ROTC my next two years after training, hoping to be an Officer if I can. I was going to join Air Force but there were not any Air Force ROTC schools near me.

I also hope they let us watch the Super Bowl. Considering it will be my 21st birthday on Super Bowl Sunday(Feb 6th), that would be my only wish since I won't be able to drink lol.

Nice job A-Town, love your picks and I mentioned before how much I would love to get Mathis...Colts will probably let him slide, but I am not sure but I think his contract is not up until 2012, but I would love to get him then

Thanks man. You may be right about his contract in 2012. Two sites I have seen have his expiring in 2011 and another in 2012 so I am not sure. If not Kiwanuka should be available or maybe some other DEs if Aldon Smith isn't there. Heck I might even like Kerrigan as our pick. But we need a pass rusher.

I agree 100%...I havent been around long, but all of your writings I have seen, I can't remember a time I disagree...you are one of the main guys I respected first and I am gonna miss your opinions man

Thanks man. I remember back when I had 200 something posts and all I did was go on here to see if anyone could think of scenarios. I had my first mock in 2008 as us taking 1. Glenn Dorsey 2. Curtis Lofton 2b. Brian Brohm. Thank God I was wrong lol. But you are a good and upcoming poster, keep the mocks coming man you know your stuff. I will be back before y'all know it. Just when I get back you guys need to fill me in on the Senior Bowl performers, the strugglers, and the combine warriors.

Thanks man. I remember back when I had 200 something posts and all I did was go on here to see if anyone could think of scenarios. I had my first mock in 2008 as us taking 1. Glenn Dorsey 2. Curtis Lofton 2b. Brian Brohm. Thank God I was wrong lol. But you are a good and upcoming poster, keep the mocks coming man you know your stuff. I will be back before y'all know it. Just when I get back you guys need to fill me in on the Senior Bowl performers, the strugglers, and the combine warriors.

You already know I will let you know what's up AT. You just stay focused and keep bringing your "A" game in the

military.

You already know I will let you know what's up AT. You just stay focused and keep bringing your "A" game in the

military.

Thanks man. Be weary of the workout warriors too! lol the only thing I am worried about is running, but I believe they will bring me along in that aspect at Basic. Nervous about the whole thing though but I am training for it so the "A" game is going to bust out. I may be able to catch the Senior Bowl but I am not sure when I will start reception.

1. Nice mock A-town, I haven't done one yet this year but that's a well thought out mock. If we got Mathis in FA that would be real nice (expensive, but nice) but if we don't sign a DE in FA (I am very against bringing in Ray Edwards... I think he will go after a big pay-day and not live up to the hype) then I think we need to grab one early on draft day.

2. That's great that you are going to basic. The last time I remember talking to you about any of that was when we agreed that if zombies attacked or something we'd hop on a boat and I'd steer and you would snipe from the top and get any of them that got close. Looks like you're holding up your end of the bargain so I guess I need to go boat shopping.

I'm just digging into the boatload (pun intended) of film I have to watch and I will definitely keep you posted on how the draft goes and everything. If you want to pm me your email address or something I could send you periodic emails about draft-goings on so you aren't too out of the loop. I don't know how that all works as far as computer access and everything. Let me know man.

1. Nice mock A-town, I haven't done one yet this year but that's a well thought out mock. If we got Mathis in FA that would be real nice (expensive, but nice) but if we don't sign a DE in FA (I am very against bringing in Ray Edwards... I think he will go after a big pay-day and not live up to the hype) then I think we need to grab one early on draft day.

2. That's great that you are going to basic. The last time I remember talking to you about any of that was when we agreed that if zombies attacked or something we'd hop on a boat and I'd steer and you would snipe from the top and get any of them that got close. Looks like you're holding up your end of the bargain so I guess I need to go boat shopping.

I'm just digging into the boatload (pun intended) of film I have to watch and I will definitely keep you posted on how the draft goes and everything. If you want to pm me your email address or something I could send you periodic emails about draft-goings on so you aren't too out of the loop. I don't know how that all works as far as computer access and everything. Let me know man.

I agree I am against Edwards, he is just "there" nothing game changing. I agree about drafting a DE as well if no other option is there, but who do you like as a DE?

2. LMAO I literally bursted out laughing haha. Yeah we need to keep that deal up, I will be sure to pick off some zombies haha. I will be well prepared.

I would appreciate some emails since I can get some in from my phone since I will be able to have it every once and a while. I need to make a new email though.I appreciate it.

we are missing you on this site though man. Nice blog you got though.

I'm not against Edwards. lol

But your mock is very good. I really like Both Williams and I feel like Ziemba will be a starter one day. Young is a wildcard for me. I just don't know if TD would be willing to spend a high pick on another small WR. Those type guys can really elevate your Offense or just come in and be simply a threat on STs. You really don't know.

I do think guys like Young, Jernigan and Broyles add another dynamic to their games that HD doesn't have. That is why I still think it is a possibility that we could go after one of those guys.

The one pick I don't like is Baron Batch. I just don't like his game and I really can't tell you why.

I don't know much about the rest, but this is very good draft overall.

Thanks man, good luck

I'm not against Edwards. lol

But your mock is very good. I really like Both Williams and I feel like Ziemba will be a starter one day. Young is a wildcard for me. I just don't know if TD would be willing to spend a high pick on another small WR. Those type guys can really elevate your Offense or just come in and be simply a threat on STs. You really don't know.

I do think guys like Young, Jernigan and Broyles add another dynamic to their games that HD doesn't have. That is why I still think it is a possibility that we could go after one of those guys.

The one pick I don't like is Baron Batch. I just don't like his game and I really can't tell you why.

I don't know much about the rest, but this is very good draft overall.

Thanks buddy. Yeah I am still iffy on Young, but I think he could stretch the field for us. If he can be a bit more physical and get off jams and such, then he could be a Lee Evans type WR. If not we would have Moore, and then a pick like Criner or Torrey Smith which are both number 2 type guys. Torrey may even declare this year. But I agree, he is shaky, but Douglas has been somewhat of a let down, maybe he is still recovering.

Baron is a solid runner, quick and everything but he plays in a goofy offense.

I like the offseason mock... but Robert Mathis is not a FA next year... Ive seen allot of ppl talk about him... He will be a FA in 2012

I think you are right, some places have him being free in 2011 and some in 2012 so I am pretty confused. Mathias Kiwanuka I know is due for this year. Here are some sites.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagentscontractsind.php - has Mathis as 2011

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/fa/dl.html

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=DL&y=2011

Thanks man, good luck

thanks bro

I hope he get's better soon then, dude was good! I wonder if it would be worth the look.

I think we need a dominant pass rusher right away, but TD likes to build through the draft, Kiwa would be our one big guy...But Kiwa can start next year across from Abe and then we draft a developmental DE in this years draft to take over for Abe the following year, someone like Sam Acho maybe or I wouldnt mind taking the risk late on Romeus