Where are all the comeback routes?

falcons4life

I'll tell ya....they're dead and gone for the most part. Look at our last 4 games, almost every pass route has gone from hooks and comebacks to slants, posts, and even screens. Our receivers no longer move downfield, stop and return for the ball. Instead they are all continuing downfield or at worst, laterally across the field.

This has had a HUGE impact on our offense IMO. The dreaded WR screen has been run less and less and even the QB waggle has been relegated to right side only so Matt doesn't have to throw across his body.

MM's offense has gone from bland, boring, and predictable to become a yard eating, time consuming machine.

Whether it was Coach Smith taking a stand when he talked openly about changing things on offense or MM waking from a coma, the change is quite noticeable and very welcome.

Ryan has been almost flawless and Roddy is setting career numbers. Third down, which earlier this season was just a warning signal for Koenan to be ready, now puts defenses on their heels and fear in their eyes.

This turnaround is pretty amazing and while I was MM's biggest critic I felt I had to put fourth the same effort to give credit as when I was slamming him. It's almost like a totally different person is installing our offense and calling the plays each week...it's that drastic a change IMO.

Hats off to MM and the entire offense. You're finally utilizing all the talent Arthur has paid for.

I'm not a hundred percent but I think Matt Ryan has been calling the games these past 4 games. I could be completely wrong though

While he audibles many times at the line, he can be seen looking to the sideline and listening to what play is being called. I think he has alot of freedom but isnt calling all his own plays.....at least not yet.

I'll tell ya....they're dead and gone for the most part. Look at our last 4 games, almost every pass route has gone from hooks and comebacks to slants, posts, and even screens. Our receivers no longer move downfield, stop and return for the ball. Instead they are all continuing downfield or at worst, laterally across the field.

This has had a HUGE impact on our offense IMO. The dreaded WR screen has been run less and less and even the QB waggle has been relegated to right side only so Matt doesn't have to throw across his body.

MM's offense has gone from bland, boring, and predictable to become a yard eating, time consuming machine.

Whether it was Coach Smith taking a stand when he talked openly about changing things on offense or MM waking from a coma, the change is quite noticeable and very welcome.

Ryan has been almost flawless and Roddy is setting career numbers. Third down, which earlier this season was just a warning signal for Koenan to be ready, now puts defenses on their heels and fear in their eyes.

This turnaround is pretty amazing and while I was MM's biggest critic I felt I had to put fourth the same effort to give credit as when I was slamming him. It's almost like a totally different person is installing our offense and calling the plays each week...it's that drastic a change IMO.

Hats off to MM and the entire offense. You're finally utilizing all the talent Arthur has paid for.

Our offense changed big time starting in the NO/SF games because we were starting to go more downfield and our offense has been producing AND more importantly - Turner is starting to eat up yards and really tearing into teams in the 4th...the formula is good and the balance has been huge to our success!

+1 I was in the same boat as you on how I used to feel about MM playcalling. I no longer can predict what's coming and it's great to find out that the WRs can get routes designed to run towards the oppositions end zone. Less and less of the WR screen and I will be ecstatic about this offense the rest of the season. Much better from MM.

A few weeks ago, I pointed out that I felt the outcome of the Eagles game may have matured our coaching staff and our players. Since that game, it seems the playcalling and scheming has changed since that time from game to game, in-game changes, and adjusting to the team we're playing.