can someone explain what type of defense we play?

NateDogg1215

Cover 2 zone is suppose to limit the big play, every zone has holes in it. Cover 2 for example has holes down the sidelines after the DB and before the safety can get over (10-15 yd). Also has a hole 15 or so yards down the middle over the MLB and before the safety. And almost all zones leave 2-4 yard crossing routes open. Its a great defense if you can get pressure with your front 4. Its essential you get pressure with 4 and we have been doing a decent job at that

Some people do not like Cover 2. Personally I like the Cover 2 scheme because I know if it is used correctly it can be extremely successful and frustrating for an offense.

Basically our defense forces you to do something our offense is good at. Sustaining long drives. A lot of teams are not built this way if you truly think about it.

It isn't a scheme that is sexy or looks pretty by any means. Like I said when it works, it works extremely well. Look at the points we have given up. It is fairly obvious the scheme has been successful thus far.

Edited by Dale4Saul2Red0

Some people do not like Cover 2. Personally I like the Cover 2 scheme because I know if it is used correctly it can be extremely successful and frustrating for an offense.

Basically our defense forces you to do something our offense is good at. Sustaining long drives. A lot of teams are not built this way if you truly think about it.

It is really frustrating on teams like GB and NO that dont have a run game and rely on the big plays to get TD's. You limit those big plays, get pressure on the QB and they get frustrated and make mistakes.

Edited by sdogg

We playing the kind of D that wins. They just held a VERY good GB Offense to 17 points.

This game, they played a lot of zone (with various blitzes). We have played man quite a bit too. It's all about who you are playing and what they do well.

Our D is doing their job and keeping the other team from scoring more points than we score, end of story.

The kind that shuts down the running game and makes a QB throw it and scramble all day long.

It is what is traditionally known as a bend but don't break style of pass defense. Straight zones with 3 and 4 man rushes in the center of the field and in long yardage situations. Lots of pressure and man coverage in short yardage situations.

The concept is to make a team run a lot of plays. The hope is occasionally they will turn the ball over before they score.

All that said, if a team can't line up and run for a yard on you, it really doesn't matter how bad the pass defense is.

It isn't a scheme that is sexy or looks pretty by any means. Like I said when it works, it works extremely well. Look at the points we have given up. It is fairly obvious the scheme has been successful thus far.

I like it too for a couple of reasons. For one it focuses on the ultimate defensive metric: Scoring Defense. The idea is let the other team gain all the worthless yards that it wants too, but limit big plays and most importantly limit them scoring points. Second of all, with young/inexperienced or limited talent players it allows a defense to mask its deficiencies, but still allows playmakers to excel.

It'll be interesting to see as these young defensive playmakers mature how much more we run man schemes. If you look at our defense they are young. Check this Decoud, lofton, Grimes and Biermann are third year players. Vance Walker and Chris Owens are second year guys. Peters, Jerry (because of injury), Moore (because of injury), Witherspoon are all rookies. Thats a lot of youth coming into their prime in the next year.

If these players named continue to improve our schemes could become more diverse