Georgia to the Liberty Bowl?

RedandBlack4Life!

http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blog/2010/11/28/bulldogs-to-the-liberty-bowl/?cxntfid=blogs_uga_sports_blog

Bulldogs to the Liberty Bowl?

by Tim Tucker

ATHENS — Georgia became bowl-eligible for the 14th consecutive season Saturday night, and in the wee hours of Sunday morning, it looked and sounded like the Bulldogs probably are headed to the Liberty Bowl.

“We’ve got a lot of folks in Memphis that would love to see the Dogs,” Steve Ehrhart, the Liberty Bowl’s executive director, said in an interview on his way out of Sanford Stadium.

Minutes earlier, Ehrhart was seen chatting with Georgia coach Mark Richt.

“We know we can’t do anything formally [because], as Mark said, we’re sort of under an embargo,” Ehrhart said. “But I think the fact that here I am talking to him at, what time is it, 12:30 in the morning [tells you] we’re pretty darn serious.”

Georgia’s 42-34 victory over Georgia Tech on Saturday night evened the Bulldogs’ record at 6-6, the threshold required for bowl eligibility.

The Liberty Bowl, which matches an SEC team vs. the Conference USA champion, will be played at 3:30 p.m. EST on Dec. 31.

The Conference USA representative in the Liberty Bowl will be the winner of next Saturday’s league championship game between Central Florida and SMU. Central Florida is coached by former Georgia Tech coach George O’Leary and SMU by former Atlanta Falcons coach June Jones.

While SEC bowl scenarios might remain somewhat in flux until after next Saturday’s SEC Championship Game — and until it is certain whether two SEC teams will reach BCS games – it seems likely that Georgia will be available for the Liberty.

Nashville’s Music City Bowl, which picks just ahead of the Liberty, is generally expected to take Tennessee. The Vols became bowl eligible with a victory over Kentucky on Saturday.

Georgia last played in the Liberty Bowl in 1987. The Bulldogs also played in the game in 1967.

“We’ve been talking about Georgia for basically all season,” Ehrhart said. “We’ve got a lot of tradition and pride with the Liberty Bowl. We’re the seventh oldest bowl game, and we haven’t had Georgia in 23 years.”

Ehrhart said he even mentioned to Richt last spring, when the Georgia coach was in Memphis to speak to a Fellowship of Christian Athletes event, that it’d be nice to have him back in town on Dec. 31.

Yep it's on ESPN and the reason we are in the liberty bowl is our fans will travel. There is no way the music city bowl with the proximity of Tennessee fans they will pass on the vols. It makes business sense for them. If MSU had lost to Ole Miss then it would have been different, but since they did not then we are in the liberty bowl which will be a nice setup game with either ucf or smu.

Glad that UGA won last night. Would have been terrible for yall to not make a bowl. Cant have SEC losing to ACC teams either.

Somebody needed to tell FLorida about that because they just stunk it up. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the UF team looked like they quit on Urban to me.

Got family in memphis and lived their for about 7 years I'm excited about this bowl. given the season we have had. Lots of things to do plus tunica is about a 30 min south of memphis.

yep i have a few friends up in memphis as well and it's a great city for a bowl game.. there is a lot to do. i have been to memphis a lot.

Per UGASports.com, UGA to the Liberty Bowl is almost a done deal.

There have been rumors circulating that some higher priority SEC bowls than the Liberty could select UGA, but it seems that everything is being set into place for Georgia to take on the Conference USA champs on New Years Eve.

Per UGASports.com, UGA to the Liberty Bowl is almost a done deal.

There have been rumors circulating that some higher priority SEC bowls than the Liberty could select UGA, but it seems that everything is being set into place for Georgia to take on the Conference USA champs on New Years Eve.

What do you think the spread would be?

I assume the winner will be UCF, and I would think we can handle a CUSA team pretty easily but just curious

What do you think the spread would be?

I assume the winner will be UCF, and I would think we can handle a CUSA team pretty easily but just curious

Well UCF is actually a pretty decent team... I think that would be a good matchup for us this year.

Of course if we lose that game it's just disgraceful... but I think we have more than enough to beat either UCF or SMU easily.

Carry your pistol and lock everything that isn't nailed down though.... Memphis has gotten to be a rough place.

Yeah, I think a recent survey revealed Memphis to be among the top 5 or top 10 least safe cities in the country. :unsure:

Any Dawgs from here who make the trip please just take the warning and be careful while you're there. In all likelihood you'll be left alone to enjoy your visit, but Memphis is a dangerous city so watch yourselves out there.