Are we getting the most out of our Defense?

This isn't a "fire this guy" or "sign/draft that guy" type question. I ask this because, although the defense has played well enough to help us to an 8-2 record, it seems to me that it's been underacheiving a bit.

QB sacks/pressures, is one area in particular I think we can and must improve as we make a push for the playoffs. We all know how a good pass rush affects offense's pass yards, 3rd down pct, etc.

IMO, we have the talent to not let this be a deficiency. The question is, will we tap into our potential and rise up even more?

I'd say we ARE getting the most out of them -- which is a credit to VanGorder and Smitty.

Biermann is an over-achieving 5th-rounder... Abraham is a 32-year old pass-rusher who is undisciplined in his rush lanes and containment responsibilities... Jamaal Anderson is a 1st-round bust... Corey Peters is a rookie... Jerry -- like Harry -- is struggling to come back from a serious knee injury... Mike Pete is past his prime... 'Spoon's quite talented, but a rookie... Lofton is really just a run-and-hit guy; the classic 4-3 Mike... Moore is a second-year player getting his first full-time action after an injury-plagued rookie year... DeCoud has range and ball skills, but poor play-recognition... Grimes is 5'9"...

So yeah, I'd say we're getting the most.

nope the Falcon's are not getting the MOST out of their defense, but then neither is any other team.

The most would be the opponent would never run an offensive play.

They would fumble the kickoff and the falcons would get the ball and score, On the ensuing kickoff the opponent would lose the ball to the falcons and over and over, with the opponent never running another play..

Edited by delaigle

nope the Falcon's are not getting the MOST out of their defense, but then neither is any other team.

The most would be the opponent would never run but 1 offensive play at the beginning of one half.

They would fumble the falcons would get the ball and score, On the ensuing kickoff the opponet would lose the ball to teh falcons and over and over, with the opponent never running another play..

Well, see... what you said above implies that every defense possesses the talent and ability necessary to accomplish that feat, which just isn't the case. Take a second look at the question.

You actually have to be smart to be a smart @ss... :rolleyes:^_^

Well, see... what you said above implies that every defense possesses the talent and ability necessary to accomplish that feat, which just isn't the case. Take a second look at the question.

Actually I was wrong go back and read my correct post the opponent would not evern run 1 p[lay as my original said

and you do not have to be a smarta** to catch my original error.

Edited by delaigle

I'd say we ARE getting the most out of them -- which is a credit to VanGorder and Smitty.

Biermann is an over-achieving 5th-rounder... Abraham is a 32-year old pass-rusher who is undisciplined in his rush lanes and containment responsibilities... Jamaal Anderson is a 1st-round bust... Corey Peters is a rookie... Jerry -- like Harry -- is struggling to come back from a serious knee injury... Mike Pete is past his prime... 'Spoon's quite talented, but a rookie... Lofton is really just a run-and-hit guy; the classic 4-3 Mike... Moore is a second-year player getting his first full-time action after an injury-plagued rookie year... DeCoud has range and ball skills, but poor play-recognition... Grimes is 5'9"...

So yeah, I'd say we're getting the most.

Points well taken.

I do believe we can maximize our strengths on defense, as a whole, with better DT play. If Peters and Jerry can step it up a bit(pass rush-wise), I can see that resonating through the entire defense, and us improving all around.

I would like to see our defense move more away from the "bend but dont break" mentality, especially once we get up big. I despise the "rush 3 or 4 and drop 8 into a soft zone" scheme that we get in the 4th quarter. I truly believe that is why our pass defense is ranked so low, and also why our games final scores are alot closer than the games actually are. This past weekend was a good example. Bradford had all day to pick our soft coverage apart, and promptly moved the ball down the field. I'd like to see us force more 3 and outs, stay aggressive when up by 2 td's and really dominate a team.

All that said, I'll take a win any way we can get it. :P

Or maybe an average defense playing the world's worst offense

Edited by delaigle

Points well taken.

I do believe we can maximize our strengths on defense, as a whole, with better DT play. If Peters and Jerry can step it up a bit(pass rush-wise), I can see that resonating through the entire defense, and us improving all around.

I can agree with that... but even with the better push inside from those two, we also have to get that constant pressure opposite Abraham from the end. Biermann/JA98 have got to start winning those battles more consistently and forcing the QB to move, even if they don't get to him.

I would like to see our defense move more away from the "bend but dont break" mentality, especially once we get up big. I despise the "rush 3 or 4 and drop 8 into a soft zone" scheme that we get in the 4th quarter. I truly believe that is why our pass defense is ranked so low, and also why our games final scores are alot closer than the games actually are. This past weekend was a good example. Bradford had all day to pick our soft coverage apart, and promptly moved the ball down the field. I'd like to see us force more 3 and outs, stay aggressive when up by 2 td's and really dominate a team.

You really gotta trust your corners and safeties to blitz and leave guys out on an island... I'm not sure if our guys have earned that trust to do it more than we do currently.

I believe that we do play an aggressive and attacking style of defense. The best thing any defense can do is put pressure on the quarterback with your front four and allow everyone else to cover.

It's when you have to bring that extra guy or two up the middle or around the edge, that you leave yourself most susceptible to explosive plays. Those are the instances where you hope that your rush can reach the quarterback before he finds the hole in the coverage.

I believe even more than playing it safe, BVG believes that we can create consistent pressure with our four d-linemen.

I think our pass defense leaves more to be wished for on the field. I think that has a bit to do with playing off coverage so much. And like someone said before going to soft zones with the lead and opponents passing to stay in the game. We need to stay aggressive and learn to put teams away on offense and defense. Stop giving teams late game chances

I don't think we are. I think we do when we are behind in games. But any time we are ahead, our defense changes and we don't get as much out of them as we could. I know we would probably give up more big plays occasionally if we stayed aggressive, but I think overall we'd be better off not letting these teams get back into every game. If we give up a big play, our offense can answer. The times we don't, we will shorten their TOP, making it easier for our offense to extend our lead. Letting them pick up yards to get in scoring position and building their confidence is playing with fire.

That being said, we have the #7 scoring defense in the league. So it's hard to knock them too much :-)

Totally agree if you look back at the games such as the bengals we started playin that soft cover 2 and gave up a lot of passing yards

Every team does this though not just us its because they no the oponents have to pass so they give up the 5-10 yard dump-off underneath and commit numbers to the 15 yard plus rout with help over the top.

Have to say for the talent level we have I think we are getting the most out of what we have,I even think we are over achieving defensively there honest play tough and theres no give up in that Falcons D,BVG and MS have done a good job as you can see the improvement year to year with this defence we just need a couple more pieces and we'll be set for a longtime.

Edited by kiwifalcon

Beerman is a let down. Grimes can't tackle. Pete's too old. JA98 would be great if he was chosen in the 3rd round instead of being a top 10 pick. D-Rob is playing better than most people think. Corey Peters is very underrated by the media and fans, but opposing coaches recognize him. Decoud is not the probowler many were expecting.

Basically, everyone is doing a solid job. I think the pass rush needs to step it up and I believe that will solve a lot of problems. I hate to say it, but I don't think Kroy is the answer. =/

Beerman is a let down. Grimes can't tackle. Pete's too old. JA98 would be great if he was chosen in the 3rd round instead of being a top 10 pick. D-Rob is playing better than most people think. Corey Peters is very underrated by the media and fans, but opposing coaches recognize him. Decoud is not the probowler many were expecting.

Basically, everyone is doing a solid job. I think the pass rush needs to step it up and I believe that will solve a lot of problems. I hate to say it, but I don't think Kroy is the answer. =/

Grimes' tackling has been great the last half of the season.