Simple Question from Sunday

GreenFire

Matt has proven he can throw the long ball. the only thing now is he needs to complete those passes consistently

Exactly, we know he can throw it he just needs to do it with some more accuracy. Once the D has to respect our deep passing game our offense will truly be unstoppable. Our only real knock right now is that we don't get the big plays. We earn everything we get. On the bright side, Ryan's been very effective on 3rd down so we keep those drives going.

Matt is doing exactly what you wanna do in overthrowing...may sound stupid but its true...one of the times we went deep was 1st and 5...so basically its a free play...why try and pinpoint it and have a chance for the defender to run under it than to put everything you have into it so the only person that has a chance is the wr or the ground...matt is smart and knows what he's doing out there

I would much rather it be complete, but for the most part I think we will all take an overthrow over and underthrow. That sounds weird but I had good intentions. :P

Exactly.

Remember, Drew Brees threw a pick to Grimey on an almost identical play.

Better to overthrow it and see if your guy can go get it than to leave a duck for the DB.

For whatever reason, we arent taking those shots probably as much as we should...our guys have the step 75% of the time...and we use such a control pass offense that the DB's get lulled pretty easily.

He missed one the previous week too on the far sideline on a hitch and go.

We would be killlllin it if we start connecting more.

Dont expect those to come easy though against Woodson and Williams...

I hate to say it, but it almost appears Roddy either stopped running or took a bad angle. I don't have rewind on my TV and they don't show those on highlights for some reason, even locally. I was sure he was gonna run under it.

It was like that pass to HD in OT against New Orleans. I so wish he'd caught that so he'd have his confidence back and we could stop hearing about the missed "chip shot." That was an easy 6.

I hate to say it, but it almost appears Roddy either stopped running or took a bad angle. I don't have rewind on my TV and they don't show those on highlights for some reason, even locally. I was sure he was gonna run under it.

It was like that pass to HD in OT against New Orleans. I so wish he'd caught that so he'd have his confidence back and we could stop hearing about the missed "chip shot." That was an easy 6.

Thats what it seemed like to me. Almost as though he didn't locate the ball until to late but then again I was at a bar and rather drunk so maybe I was seeing things. Just seemed he let up a little early

He is paid very well to complete these throws. I love what Matt and the team are doing. He should complete 8 out of 10 of these throws. His eyes light up when Roddy is 5 yards ahead of defenders. He will calm down and make these throws in the future.

8 out of 10 of those should be completed?!? Are you joking? The further downfield you go, the lower the completion percentage gets. QB's don't complete 80% of any throws to any part of the field. Maybe 80% to RB's on dumpoffs, but even that's a little high. I think league average for passes over 40 yards is probably around 25%. Over 20 yards is probably 40%.

Look at it this way. How many times do you think Peyton Manning attempts a 40+ yard pass? 3 times a game? He's completed 5 in 10 games (same as Ryan). If he attempts 3 per game, that would be 5 completions in 30 attempts (16.67%), or 2 per game, 5 completions in 20 attempts (25%).

This is not Madden folks. The deep passes are great but they have a very low rate of success. If we complete 1 out of 3, I'd be impressed.

Those kind of throws are a timing thing and Roddy got slowed down by the corner just enough to mess up the pass.