Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Return of the Gaucho

They are talking about the Falcons on the new ESPN Show

Steve Young said we are up there with anyone in the NFC, but would require home field advantage.

Trent Dilfer claimed that the Eagles could beat us either home or away.

Tony Dungy mentioned the lack of a running game recently.

ESPN devoted 45 seconds to this question, but 5 minutes to Bret Favre. I hate ESPN, I wish something else was on tv right now.

Frankly, I dont care if we get media attention or not. A lot of people on this board seem to obsessed with getting that media spotlight cuz we dont get it as much as any other top teams. Matter of fact, I like flying under the radar, so we can surprise everyone and take the lombardi.

I saw it.

Dilfer did say he was impressed with the way we played on Nat'l TV against the Ravens. Also added that he thinks we are a good football team. He then brought up the fact that we might have to play the Eagles in the playoffs, which I thought was not a very good point, and that Vick playing well might affect us on the road or at home.

Steve Young said he thinks we put a stake in the ground and set ourselves as one of the best teams along with Green Bay, NY and Philly. Also said some very good things about Matt. To qoute him directly: "I think what Matt Ryan did... talking about young qauterback, was a huge step forward. For the past couple of year the Falcons have alwasy been hanging around and then faded off, but with that win Thursday [Ravens], the put themselves right there with the other teams in the NFC (Eagles, Packers, Giants)." That's probably not 100% but it's about 95%. lol

Herm Edwards said that he liked how in the Ravnes game Matt ran the no huddle and was successful. Said that the coaches basically said, "Matt here's the ball, win us the game." Herm ended by saying that if we can do that on the road we are legit. Herm still thinks we are a good team though don't get it wrong.

Steve also added that a lot of people are just thinking "Hey, it's Atlanta!" and waiting for us to foul up. But he also said that looking at the team and not judging them on their past, they look good and as good as any NFC team.

Keyshaun also possed the question of whether or not we can win in the playoffs without home-field advantage. Legit question to ask I suppose.

I think that's everything. lol They didn't say too much about us which is fine with me.

"Keyshaun also possed the question of whether or not we can win in the playoffs without home-field advantage. Legit question to ask I suppose."

Don't suppose, that IS a very legit question. It's the only thing that I'm concerned about with this team but do think it will come with time. Not sure yet if that time is this season or not, but with this coaching staff and QB I believe wholeheartedly that we are on our way... ;)

why do people think we suck on the road? We are average on the road. Not bad. Just because we are great at home does not mean we suck on the road.

There are a lot of stereotypes surrounding our team that will just have to be debugged with our performance on the field. I agree with you though, we are an average to above average road team. It's tough to win on the road in this league.

Um, didn't Turner hit over 100 at Tampa? Our running game has been fine. We just ran up against a defense that stops the run really well.

Can I get the next Lotto & Power Ball numbers before your link to the future fades away?

Only thing to worry about? The pass D is still suspect IMO. Any legitimate passing team will have a field day (Giants, Eagles, Packers Saints)

Good, let them. As long as we shut down the run and keep balanced on offense, we will win. Palmer threw for 400 and we won. 'Stats are for losers' - the most popular phrase of the year, lol.

Are D can be suspect at times but why do people forget that on the D-line we rotate a rookie(Peters), 2 second year players(Walker and Peria), a 3rd year player(Kroy).

At linebacker we start a 3rd year player(Curtis), and when healthy a rookie(Spoon).

In the secondary We are starting a 3rd year guy(Decoud, and a 2nd year guy(Willy Mo)

So I can understand that our D is suspect at times but if you are going to say that also take onto consideration that we are still very young.

But we know they can stop the run and we still have a while before the playoffs start, this young D will be ready to make a lot of noise down the stretch.

There are a lot of stereotypes surrounding our team that will just have to be debugged with our performance on the field. I agree with you though, we are an average to above average road team. It's tough to win on the road in this league.

Exactly!! There are only two games involving the Falcons that the national media actually watched: Philly and Baltimore.

Everything else is just a lot of regurgitation and general juxtaposition based off a few stats that were given to them in production meetings and what other analysts have said.

You just gotta understand; they don't actually watch us play, so they don't know much -- if anything at all -- about us (save, Pat Y.).

So whether praise or critique, take with a couple gallons of salt. -_-

"Keyshaun also possed the question of whether or not we can win in the playoffs without home-field advantage. Legit question to ask I suppose."

Don't suppose, that IS a very legit question. It's the only thing that I'm concerned about with this team but do think it will come with time. Not sure yet if that time is this season or not, but with this coaching staff and QB I believe wholeheartedly that we are on our way... ;)

My legit comment would be for the Falcons not "winning" on the road would be that the Giants CANNOT win their games at home. They lost to the Titans and Dallas at home which are two teams they should have beaten. The combine records of the two teams that beat Atlanta at their place is 12-6 the two teams combine records that beat the Giants at home is 8-11. The Giants played the Super Bowl runner up in Indy and lost, the Falcon played the Super Bowl winner in New Orleans and won. So in that regard the Falcons also have the best on the road victory too. Spin it anyway you want but it is stupid to ask that question about Atlanta without saying that exact same thing about the other teams in the NFC.

Our running game hasn't exactly been a strong suit as of late. The Eagles are a very good team but I feel like we can beat anyone at home right now.

why do people think we suck on the road? We are average on the road. Not bad. Just because we are great at home does not mean we suck on the road.

Yeah, we are 4-2 over our last 6 road games. Not dominating like at home, but very impressive.

we are mediocre on the road. the pitt and nyj games were horrible. we played a great twice and both times they tried to hand the game to us on a silver platter. the jets dropped AT LEAST 5 picks in that game. pitt gave us every opportunity to win and we just couldnt get it done. cleveland was a mediocre showing. the philly game was horrible. the new orleans game was good to me because those division games are always tough, i thought they played fine in that game, of course there were some things that could have been better but it is what it is. there is no evidence to support that we are good or even average on the road.

Have to assume you mean't the game last yr @ NY, against a playoff team whose Def allowed an NFL low of 236 pts. Refresh my memory, Who won that game? The game at Pitt this yr, Yeah, we lost, but those guys have an winning record and aren't exactly slouches on defense either. Bottom line - as of late (4-2 in last 6 road games), I rate Atlanta's road record as above avg.

It's funny though, most of this is based on the fact that we lost to Arizona a couple years ago and that Matt and this team play well at home. I think we're playing with a different kind of confidence now that can bring us through some adversity in ANY stadium. That last offensive drive against Baltimore was classic!!! Time will tell though.

Are D can be suspect at times but why do people forget that on the D-line we rotate a rookie(Peters), 2 second year players(Walker and Peria), a 3rd year player(Kroy).

At linebacker we start a 3rd year player(Curtis), and when healthy a rookie(Spoon).

In the secondary We are starting a 3rd year guy(Decoud, and a 2nd year guy(Willy Mo)

So I can understand that our D is suspect at times but if you are going to say that also take onto consideration that we are still very young.

But we know they can stop the run and we still have a while before the playoffs start, this young D will be ready to make a lot of noise down the stretch.

Great post ...... we do have to realize how young our defense is, and we must be patient with them ....in a couple years this could very well be a top 5 unit.....