I've noticed a trend in some of our latest games. It seems like we look like an elite team for the first thirty minutes and really dominate games, but after half-time we slow down, especially on defense. Don't get me wrong, we've won all of these games, but I feel like we need to improve in the second half if we want to win it all.

Anyone agree?

I've noticed a trend in some of our latest games. It seems like we look like an elite team for the first thirty minutes and really dominate games, but after half-time we slow down, especially on defense. Don't get me wrong, we've won all of these games, but I feel like we need to improve in the second half if we want to win it all.

Anyone agree?

Totally agree. This issue is a big concern of mine also but I think we will correct the problem going forward.

I hope you guys are checking what's going on the league this year with all the teams right? NOT, one team is invincible.....you can get beat by any team on any given sunday........no matter how sound you are in all departments .......this year all teams are hustling and striving to make a push even though they are lagging behind the whole game.

The important thing I love about this team is they DO NOT give up! you can tell from their facial expressions.....which was not there in previous years.

We have the BEST team chemistry in NFL! & that will get us to superbowl!

Get use to more close games & heart wrenching loss if any till week 16.

RISE UP!!!

Anyone agree?

Well, in the Ravens game, Matt ran the no-huddle the whole first half and Mularkey called the second half until the winning drive.

Ryan should call his own plays!

I agree, we cannot keep letting teams get back in it. We are slowly earning a reputation as one of the better teams in the nfl, but there are those who see our dramatic finishes and want to see us show we can shut the door before they hop on the A train... Cant say i blame them but I am enjoying our winning team and knowing we will continue to add pieces, get healthy, and gel as a unit...wub.gif

I'm thinking it's because teams are making adjustments at halftime... and having some success.

Like people have said at least we've been able to make adjustments to the adjustments and come out of top but I agree we need to step on the gas in the 2nd half and crush teams hopes and dreams.

Although to keep things in context the last 3 teams we've played do have a knack for late game come backs.

THey are just adjusting to what were doing at the half, we did it in the Eagles game were alot better in the second half, but the D must also re adjust to there adjustments, this is why big leads and domination in the 1st half usually sways the other way a bit in the third this is not just the falcons, happens in many games like this

we only slow down in the 3rd quarter. we come out of halftime, and the playcalling gets extremely conservative on both offense and defense. Mularkey starts up his famous "run,run,pass,punt" offense, and BVG fires up the ol' prevent defense. then we realize we could lose and play our butts off to hang on.

While I can appreciate their aggressiveness in wanting the ball when they win the toss and going up early,I would prefer they defer and take a drive from them after they've made their adjustments.Stopping them in the first and scoring to start the third takes a lot out of their sails.

Actually we only slow down on the offensive side of the ball. We are the best 4th quarter defensive team in the league.

I wouldn't say that necessarily. The 3rd qtr defense is not stout and seems to expect the same caliber of play from the opposing team when we first exit the tunnels. The players recongnize this and one even commented they get complacent. Need a little better job of adjusting or expecting to adjust after half. This is in my opinion why we have to step it up in the 4th to win the game.

I wouldn't say that necessarily. The 3rd qtr defense is not stout and seems to expect the same caliber of play from the opposing team when we first exit the tunnels. The players recongnize this and one even commented they get complacent. Need a little better job of adjusting or expecting to adjust after half. This is in my opinion why we have to step it up in the 4th to win the game.

I agree. Defense is the side letting teams back in. Its because our pass defense sucks! When the score is still close teams still try to run, but we stop it. We are ok in pass defense when the teams arent playing catch up. When we jump out to decent leads though, teams are going to the air a lot, and catching up.

THey are just adjusting to what were doing at the half, we did it in the Eagles game were alot better in the second half, but the D must also re adjust to there adjustments, this is why big leads and domination in the 1st half usually sways the other way a bit in the third this is not just the falcons, happens in many games like this

I wonder if coaches ever go into a half thinking, "Hey, this team is great at making half-time adjustments, so lets switch it up. I have another plan that I think will work"

I agree. Defense is the side letting teams back in. Its because our pass defense sucks! When the score is still close teams still try to run, but we stop it. We are ok in pass defense when the teams arent playing catch up. When we jump out to decent leads though, teams are going to the air a lot, and catching up.

I agree. In the Bengals, Bucs and Ravens games the other team looked completely out of the game until we went up by 13+. As soon as we are up by more than two scores, teams start airing the ball out all over the place and our not-that-great pass defense lets them sneak back into games. I think part of the problem is BVG's schemes -- I still wish he would let our corners play a little more aggressively and not fall back into the same predictable zone schemes once we have a big lead.

I agree. In the Bengals, Bucs and Ravens games the other team looked completely out of the game until we went up by 13+. As soon as we are up by more than two scores, teams start airing the ball out all over the place and our not-that-great pass defense lets them sneak back into games. I think part of the problem is BVG's schemes -- I still wish he would let our corners play a little more aggressively and not fall back into the same predictable zone schemes once we have a big lead.

totally agree! I can't believe people say offense lags in 2 nd half....bull crap!

Lack of Pass Defense because we DO NOT creatively blitz or may be just effin timing of BVG scheme is off! OR Decoud & Dunta just effin up their routes & giving up BIG EXPLOSIVE plays. It's combination of weak secondary skill set + BVG scheme in my opinion.

I mean we all have been closely watching Philly Defense .....& ohhh boy they can blitz & create turnovers!

Anyone agree?

Actually my friend, it has been the exact opposite. We have been out scoring our opponents in the second quarter. Out of the two games that we lost, only the Philly game went downhill. Philly has shown that their game plan is to get an early lead. I think that it's great to dominate early, because we have the best offense in the NFL for controlling the clock. Case and point: The fact that we were in the game against New Orleans shows that we play our better football in the second half. Now you may be referring to the Bengals game.

People seem to forget that the other team is paid to play as well. Coaches dial up "change up's" all the time coming out of halftime. It's a matter of us being able to adjust as well as weather the storm.

Edit: Defenses tend to get tired much quicker in the 2nd half hence more scores.

Edited by Goal Line D