School Makes Boy Take American Flag Off Bike

School Makes Boy Take American Flag Off Bike

Elissa Harrington FOX40 News

November 12, 2010

DENAIR -

13-year-old Cody Alicea rides with an American flag on the back of his bike. He says he does this to be patriotic and to honor veterans, like his own grandfather, Robert. He's had the flag on his bike for two months but Monday, was told to take it down.

A school official at Denair Middle School told Cody some students had been complaining about the flag and it was no longer allowed on school property.

"In this country we're supposed to be free," said Cody. "And I should be able to wave my flag wherever I want to. And they're telling me I can't."

Cody's grandfather says the school was concerned about racial tensions or uprisings because of the flag. He feels if there was really a problem it should have been brought up two months ago, not during Veterans week.

"No action should be taken. We don't want any repercussion," said Roger. "We just want Cody to be proud of what he's doing."

Click here

I wonder if anyone has complained about the one being flown on the flagpole by the school itself.

This is one of those stories where either:

1. The entire administration needs to be fired because they're too stupid to live, let alone run a school.

...or...

2. There is more to the story than what's being reported.

Yup.

I guess so, if I was that boy I would of brought 2 American flags today.

if it was my child, id have he completely covered in american flags. its crazy these days. i think i would have been thrown out a few times, because i used to wear an american flag tee to school. ( it was one of my fav that i got when visiting DC for the first time)

This story sounds like complete BS.

"Cody's grandfather says the school was concerned about racial tensions or uprisings because of the flag."

Racial tensions!?

"Cody says he wants to serve in the military some day, and is raising money for a trip to Washington, D.C. in the Spring."

Aww..isnt he such a patriot.

WTF? This story is bullsh--.

This story sounds like complete BS.

"Cody's grandfather says the school was concerned about racial tensions or uprisings because of the flag."

Racial tensions!?

"Cody says he wants to serve in the military some day, and is raising money for a trip to Washington, D.C. in the Spring."

Aww..isnt he such a patriot.

WTF? This story is bullsh--.

Maybe it isn't...

From the website:

After being contacted by FOX40 Friday morning, Denair's Superintendent says Cody will be allowed to keep the flag on his bike. He told FOX40 he and the school are patriotic, but their main priority is keeping students safe; the school will focus on the students who are causing uprisings. Riding a bike is still not allowed on school campus, but when Cody rides his bike to school he can now fly the flag.