Much is made of Falcons Home Record since 2008 - let's look closer....

I don't want to come off as negative or a hater - I'm a HUGE Falcons fans - HUGE!!! However, I feel that I can detach my "homerism" and be objective as well - sometimes when I do this - some will interpret this as being negative.....

Well, critics be damned. Much is made of how fantastic of a home team the Atlanta Falcons really are. Let's look at "Out of NFC South" home opponnents from 2008 - YTD 2010, shall we?

2008:

Detroit (crap team)

Kansas City (crap team)

Chicago (crap team)

Denver (decent team)

St. Louis (crap team)

2009:

Miami (decent team)

Chicago (crap team)

Washington (crap team)

Eagles (good team)

Bills (crap team)

2010 YTD:

Arizona (crap team)

San Francisco (crap team)

Cincinnati (average team)

Tampa Bay (decent team)

I realize all NFL teams have a "chance" to beat you each week - having said that:

For whatever reason through the fluke of scheduling – all of Falcons “tough” games out of division have been on the road and all the “bottom-feeders” we have played at home – this has created a little bit of an illusion of how good the Falcons really are at home – look at the above and tell me the really hard/tough games the Falcons have won at home – no Indy, no NE, no NYG, no NYJ, no Minn, no Dallas, no GB, no Balt., no Pitt., no SD – no nothing!!!!!

Most of Falcons tough out of division games over last 2.5 years have been road games. You gotta admit that is an incredibly "soft" home schedule. Falcons are most undoubtably much better at home - but it will be interesting to me to see how we perform against an upper tier NFL team at home.

Hope Falcons win but I'm not super-confident about this one. Baltimore is the best out of the NFC South Division team the Falcons have played since Mike Smith & Matty Ice have been in Atlanta and probably the best team period the Falcons have played in GA Dome since 2008.

Yup.

Like many others on these forums, I have been watching the NFL for

a very long time, and as I pine for our Falcons to win this game, I also

know that HeII is flying in from Baltimore.

It is not our or their players that worry me.

It is Mularkey's predictability and BVG's lack of bump and run coverage.

A victory against the Ravens would be incredibly sweet, but if not, I pray

that we hang in their and keep it respectable.

So we are 2-2 on the road this season. We beat New Orleans and Cleveland. We lost to Philly and Pittsburgh. Show me a crap team in the NFL. These same crap teams have players that are better than the ones on the great teams. Football is a game that you have to play to observe. You can read all you like, but all you will come up with are words. I suppose that if we had a losing record at home, then we would be considered a crap team?

Just when I thought I was starting to understand football, along comes a question that totally upsets the applecart.

Why did we only get five home games in 2008 and 2009? I thought every team was supposed to get eight home games. Man, the NFL is screwing us in ways most of us don't even think about!

Or is it possible that we beat a few non-crap teams as well? Is it possible that the Falcons have pretty much hammered everyone who came to the Dome, regardless of judgments about their craptastic-ness?

Just when I thought I was starting to understand football, along comes a question that totally upsets the applecart.

Why did we only get five home games in 2008 and 2009? I thought every team was supposed to get eight home games. Man, the NFL is screwing us in ways most of us don't even think about!

Or is it possible that we beat a few non-crap teams as well? Is it possible that the Falcons have pretty much hammered everyone who came to the Dome, regardless of judgments about their craptastic-ness?

5 + NFC SOUTH OPPONENTS[3]=8

but yes, the panthers and saints have been very good teams those years though

I don't want to come off as negative or a hater - I'm a HUGE Falcons fans - HUGE!!! However, I feel that I can detach my "homerism" and be objective as well - sometimes when I do this - some will interpret this as being negative.....

Well, critics be damned. Much is made of how fantastic of a home team the Atlanta Falcons really are. Let's look at "Out of NFC South" home opponnents from 2008 - YTD 2010, shall we?

2008:

Detroit (crap team)

Kansas City (crap team)

Chicago (crap team)

Denver (decent team)

St. Louis (crap team)

2009:

Miami (decent team)

Chicago (crap team)

Washington (crap team)

Eagles (good team)

Bills (crap team)

2010 YTD:

Arizona (crap team)

Tampa Bay (decent team)

I realize all NFL teams have a "chance" to beat you each week - having said that:

For whatever reason through the fluke of scheduling – all of Falcons "tough" games out of division have been on the road and all the "bottom-feeders" we have played at home – this has created a little bit of an illusion of how good the Falcons really are at home – look at the above and tell me the really hard/tough games the Falcons have won at home – no Indy, no NE, no NYG, no NYJ, no Minn, no Dallas, no GB, no Balt., no Pitt., no SD – no nothing!!!!!

Most of Falcons tough out of division games over last 2.5 years have been road games. You gotta admit that is an incredibly "soft" home schedule. Falcons are most undoubtably much better at home - but it will be interesting to me to see how we perform against an upper tier NFL team at home.

Hope Falcons win but I'm not super-confident about this one. Baltimore is the best out of the NFC South Division team the Falcons have played since Mike Smith & Matty Ice have been in Atlanta and probably the best team period the Falcons have played in GA Dome since 2008.

Somebody gave you a negative- I took it away, don't agree with the thread particularly, but it didn't deserve a negative.

Not to take this conversation in another direction, but beating the teams you're supposed to beat is part of being a good team. Check out the 02-06 schedules. Falcons lost to some horrible teams.

You don't get to be 17-1 by accident. It means you play hard and stay focused- something the falcons used to have trouble doing. Just read that only 2 other QBs since 1950 have had that good a home record.

And people think of the ravens as this juggernaut of a team, and they just aren't- they had the same record as the falcons last year, but 9-7 got them into the playoffs. This year, they lost to Cinn, went to OT with Buf and came within 30 seconds of losing to the steelers fourth string QB. They're a good team that finds ways to win. Just like the falcons.

This topic looks as though it belongs on another teams MB, not the Falcons.

If you want to look closer at something look closer at this, the Falcons are an even better 17-1 on games at home which Ryan starts. Find any QB, for any team with a better home record since 2008 and note 2 things. First of all you can't find one that is better. Secondly, QB's whose records aren't as good over that period will have lost to more teams at home crap, decent or otherwise such that they can't exceed the mark set by Falcons behind Ryan.

Want to see the glass half empty, knock yourselves out. This franchise has set the bar on underachivement, but the Falcons home record since 08 especially behind Ryan is anything but underachievement and is something truly special, not only for the Falcons but for the NFL overall. Anyone that can't see that, cannot see the forest for the trees and need to get their eyes checked.

What criteria are you using to judge the teams we beat? Chicago missed playoffs by a half game in 2008. How were they a crap team? You call the Bucs a decent team, but they are 5-3, with their only losses to the Steelers, Saints, and Falcons. It looks to me like you are not giving our opponents nearly enough credit.

It looks to me like you are just as bad as the media. If the team isn't named the Colts, Patriots, Steelers, or Saints, than the team must be crap.

One last thing. Removing the NFC South home games makes this entire thread a farce. The Panthers were 11-5 in 2008, the Saints were Superbowl champs last season, and we have one of the toughest Divisions in the NFL. You are ignoring almost half of our home games per season by taking those 3 tough games out, and in effect trying to claim Ryan is 17-1 because we haven't had tough home games.

How about we ignore all of our NFC South away games, and then we'll call every team crap that we beat on the road, and then we'll call every team decent that we lost to. Wow, we must not be able to beat decent teams on the road... <sarcasm>

What criteria are you using to judge the teams we beat? Chicago missed playoffs by a half game in 2008. How were they a crap team? You call the Bucs a decent team, but they are 5-3, with their only losses to the Steelers, Saints, and Falcons. It looks to me like you are not giving our opponents nearly enough credit.

It looks to me like you are just as bad as the media. If the team isn't named the Colts, Patriots, Steelers, or Saints, than the team must be crap.

One last thing. Removing the NFC South home games makes this entire thread a farce. The Panthers were 11-5 in 2008, the Saints were Superbowl champs last season, and we have one of the toughest Divisions in the NFL. You are ignoring almost half of our home games per season by taking those 3 tough games out, and in effect trying to claim Ryan is 17-1 because we haven't had tough home games.

How about we ignore all of our NFC South away games, and then we'll call every team crap that we beat on the road, and then we'll call every team decent that we lost to. Wow, we must not be able to beat decent teams on the road... <sarcasm>

good post. however one correction, carolina was 12-4 in 08, not 11-5. makes that win against them look even better.

You underrate our 2008 season

Carolina went 12-4

Bears went 9-7

Bucs went 9-7

Broncos went 8-8

Saints went 8-8

5/8 games against teams .500 or above (and 4-1 against those teams)

2009 is a different story, but Ryan didn't have a chance to show much since we only played 2 games at home against teams with winning records and we lost both of those games with Redman as the starter. It should be noted that he was 6-0 in home games against mostly lesser teams (although Miami and Chicago went 7-9 and the Panthers went 8-8).

This year, we played the Bucs at home who are better than .500 and won. 3-0 against lesser teams.

So overall, Falcons at home with Matt Ryan as starter:

Against teams .500 or better (good teams): 6-1

Against teams below .500 (bad teams): 11-0

The Falcons have way to few accomplishments as a franchise. I'm not yet willing to 2nd guess an accomplishment like 17-1 at home. I understand being realistic however, I'm very happy to leave this kind of scrutiny of our accomplishment to commentators + fans of teams that can't boast being 17-1 at home.

Funny things is if we get to 18-1 by beating the Ravens then everyone will be impressed.

I think home and away records are pretty much non sensical stats but I don't see how anyone can say the 9-7 Bears from 2008 were a crap team. I remember thinking as I was entering the GA Dome in 2008 this is going to be a pretty tough game. I'm not going to dissect the rest of this because it seems to be an off the top of the head post.

You underrate our 2008 season

Carolina went 12-4

Bears went 9-7

Bucs went 9-7

Broncos went 8-8

Saints went 8-8

5/8 games against teams .500 or above (and 4-1 against those teams)

2009 is a different story, but Ryan didn't have a chance to show much since we only played 2 games at home against teams with winning records and we lost both of those games with Redman as the starter. It should be noted that he was 6-0 in home games against mostly lesser teams (although Miami and Chicago went 7-9 and the Panthers went 8-8).

This year, we played the Bucs at home who are better than .500 and won. 3-0 against lesser teams.

So overall, Falcons at home with Matt Ryan as starter:

Against teams .500 or better (good teams): 6-1

Against teams below .500 (bad teams): 11-0

Thank you for pointing this out. KC and Detroit may have been bad in 2008, but those other teams were not. Just because they're bad NOW should have no affect on what happened two years ago. ;)

Also, the Lions may have been awful in '08, but in '07 they had started 6-2 and wound up 7-9; they were supposed to be an up-and-coming team in '08 and I'm pretty sure they were favored to win that first game of the season against us in the GA Dome...

I think home and away records are pretty much non sensical stats but I don't see how anyone can say the 9-7 Bears from 2008 were a crap team. I remember thinking as I was entering the GA Dome in 2008 this is going to be a pretty tough game. I'm not going to dissect the rest of this because it seems to be an off the top of the head post.

Translation:

the rest of your analysis of Falcons home schedule is "spot-on" but I don't want to bring it up because it would bring some validity to your argument - I'm goint to cherry pick this one game.

2008:

Detroit (crap team)

Kansas City (crap team)

Chicago (crap team)

Denver (decent team)

St. Louis (crap team)

2009:

Miami (decent team)

Chicago (crap team)

Washington (crap team)

Eagles (good team)

Bills (crap team)

2010 YTD:

Arizona (crap team)

Tampa Bay (decent team)

For whatever reason through the fluke of scheduling – all of Falcons “tough” games out of division have been on the road and all the “bottom-feeders” we have played at home – this has created a little bit of an illusion of how good the Falcons really are at home – look at the above and tell me the really hard/tough games the Falcons have won at home – no Indy, no NE, no NYG, no NYJ, no Minn, no Dallas, no GB, no Balt., no Pitt., no SD – no nothing!!!!!

Going into 2008, the Falcons were considered on of your "crap teams" that no one expected to win more than a couple of games. How'd that work out that year? Pretty well if I remember correctly.