Who were some of the Greatest and most Influential

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kanye+West+Runaway2.jpg

Kanye west>>>

you may not like his ego, but his music>>>

i think in 10-20 years his music will be the direction that hip hop takes. he infuses old hip hop rhymes with new beats mixed with pop, jazz, r&B etc. also he made Black Nerds Cool.

Maybe he'll grow on me one day, but at this moment I just cannot like this guy.

99mccartylg.jpg

Oseola McCarty: Biography

1908-1999

Oseola McCarty -- the humble washerwoman who became the University of Southern Mississippi's most famous benefactor -- passed away Sept. 26, 1999, after a bout with cancer. Oseola McCarty was born, reared and started her education in Mississippi. When she was in the sixth grade, McCarty left school to care for her ailing aunt and never returned to school. For more than 75 years, she earned her living as a laundress. She did laundry for three generations of some Hattiesburg, Miss., families.

Arthritis in her hands forced her to retire in 1994. Since then, McCarty, who never married or learned to drive, and who rarely left her home except for weekly trips to the grocery store, has appeared on every major TV network and been written about in most national publications because of her donation of $150,000 to the University of Southern Mississippi.

In 1995, McCarty was honored for her philanthropic work by the White House and received a Presidential Citizens Medal from President Clinton. She also holds a Community Heroes Award from the National Urban League, the Premier Black Woman of Courage Award from the National Federation of Black Women Business Owners, and the Achiever Award from the Aetna Foundation. Among her other awards are honorary degrees from the University of Southern Mississippi and Harvard University.

A collection of McCarty's views on life, work, faith, saving, and relationships can be found in her book, Simple Wisdom for Rich Living, published by Longstreet Press in 1996.

Oseola McCarty is not that influential but all she did was prove that anybody, regardless of upbringing and social status, can make a difference in our society. I had the honor of seeing her at a graduation ceremony at Southern Miss in Hattiesburg.

My link

why? because of the taylor swift thing? dude paid for that in full. im sure she was upset at the moment, but it boosted her career.

Not to stir a hornet's nest with you but I do not consider Kanye West that influential. in fact, he kinda reminds me of a young Jesse Jackson in a way ... always looking for a spotlight to draw attention to himself. Sorry. .

Not to stir a hornet's nest with you but I do not consider Kanye West that influential. in fact, he kinda reminds me of a young Jesse Jackson in a way ... always looking for a spotlight to draw attention to himself. Sorry. .

how is he anything like jesse jackson? 2nd do you even listen to hip hop? if not then DUH he isnt influential to you, but his list of produced and songs he made is very very long. you should go to his wiki. you will be surprised.

By all means stir the nest. Kanye is an idiot with and ego so big he can't see straight.

:wacko:

Musical Genius, but horrible celebrity. he was drunk and spoke his mind. dont act like its rare that it happens.

Musical Genius, but horrible celebrity. he was drunk and spoke his mind. dont act like its rare that it happens.

Fair enough.

I'm sure the same could be said for a few musical legends I love: Jimmy Page, John Bonham, Iggy Pop, Jim Morrison, Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Keith Moon, Ozzy Ozbourne, Keith Ricahrds, Chuck Berry etc etc etc....

I don't think kanye is influential I mean when i think of someone influential am thinking of someone who had some kinda of affect on people regardless of what other people were doing. Like I know some people who don't know who kanye is and their lifes will probably never be affected by anything he does or has done. If they didn't know about him and he affected their life somehow than I would consider him influential.

There are some rappers out there that, like it or not, were very influential.

Too Short

Run DMC

Electromagnetic MC's

Tribe Called Quest

But they actually had messages. Corporate BS "I'm the greatest/richest rap sucks" and that's exactly what Kanye is about.

Equivocate it to other genres of music.

Pop: It's like saying Justin Bieber is influential and not mentioning Michael Jackson.

Country: It's like saying Dixie Chicks are influential and not mentioning Hank Williams, Sr.

Metal: It's like saying GWAR is influential and not mentioning Metallica.

Rock: It's like saying Creed is influential and not mentioning Led Zeppelin.

If Kanye is influential, then there are about 50 other artists who did it bigger, better, and purer (?) than he did and in this 20th century. Taking old beats and making it into a track isn't anything new either. Will Smith. Puff Daddy. Warren G. They all did it too.

Kanye is about himself and making money.

Give me a raw Too Short beat like The Ghetto every time over that noise then.

please show me one song where he talks about im the greatest richest rapper? dont worry ill wait.

edit: i think people think i mean he is the most influential person in hip hop. i only mean i think he will be one of the more influential, because of his ability to appeal to the masses while having meaning to his songs.

music right now is going down the toilet. all about stanky legs and turning on swag. if i were to go around and ask what people think of groups like a tribe called quest or RunDMC or Clipse etc( people with meaning in their lyrics) most would have bewildered looks.

Edited by GEORGlAfan

I don't think kanye is influential I mean when i think of someone influential am thinking of someone who had some kinda of affect on people regardless of what other people were doing. Like I know some people who don't know who kanye is and their lifes will probably never be affected by anything he does or has done. If they didn't know about him and he affected their life somehow than I would consider him influential.

i said in hip hop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanye_West_production_discography

look at the list of music he has helped produced. all of that has his musical touch on it.