nAndy Reid shows of coaching talent with the acquisitio of Michael Vick

While it is pointless to discuss what 'could have, would have, or should have been,' it is nevertheless still important to examine past mistakes in order to prevent future mistakes. The two mistakes our coaching staff made were:

1. Installing the wrong plays while Michael Vick was quarterback.
  2. Drafting Michael Jenkins and Roddy White with the assumption that Michael Vick was quarterback.

The first point, 'installing the wrong plays' derives from a common misconception about Michael Vick - that he is a running quarterback. Rather, Vick is a quarterback that just happens to be able to run. Because of this misconception, the Falcons often utilized bootlegs, QB draws, etc... that basically limited our quarterback's options. If Vick were to run a QB draw, the defense would only have to stop the run. If Vick rolled out to the left, the defense would only have to cover one half of the field. Vick's 'flash' and ability to make defenders miss were definitely eye-catching, but it mesmerized our coaches into thinking that we should have Vick run more.

Looking at the Eagles game this weekend, Reid utilized Vick as if he was any ordinary passing QB. There were no QB draw plays and only the occasional bootleg. Reid gave Vick a pocket to work with and understood Vick was deadliest when he had both the option to pass to any part on the field AND the back up option of scrambling if needed. In fact, Reid saw how important it was to give Vick the chance to pass that he even brought in extra guys to pass protect. If the Falcons followed this philosophy and shored up our pass protection we could have been much more successful than we were under Jim Mora.

The second point is that we drafted Jenkins and White while Vick was quarterback. Another aspect of Vick's game that is often misunderstood is: although Vick can pass, he is not a Peyton Manning. Vick does not utilize timing as much as normal pocket passers. Rather, he uses his feet and arm to make plays. What I mean by this is, Ryan throws the ball to White right when White comes out of his break. Ryan and White are successful because of their timing.

Vick on the other hand, while uses the timing route, often relies on using his feet to bide time, using his arm to get the ball to where it needs to go, and having his receivers get open. Therefore a WR we should have drafted while Vick was here was a DeSean Jackson type, that is someone who has exceptional speed and agility and does not necessarily rely on timing and route running to get open. Many of the passes from Vick to Jackson involve Jackson just beating his man. You can think of Vick's style as more like 'street ball' where your goal is to try to get open while the QB bides time. (Now if Vick can also develop pin point timing like Peyton Manning while still having the ability to scramble, he will be hands down the best quarterback in the league.)

As a result, both White and Jenkins may have saw their growth stunted due to having the wrong type of quarterback behind center. With Matt Ryan and Chris Redman at QB, White and Jenkins both had break out years. Part of this can be attributed to Joe Horn, another part could be attributed to the fact that they have finally matured, but the most likely culprit of this turn round could be because they are timing WRs. White and Jenkins succeed when the QB can give them the ball at the top of their break. They are not WRs that use their physical ability to get open. The same logic can be applied to Jackson and Kevin Kolb. Kolb is a timing QB while Jackson is a WR that likes to out run the defense. That's why they have not been successful together.

Our poor combination of QB and WR may have prevented us from reaching the Superbowl. Therefore moving forward with Ryan at the helm, we need to make sure to draft WRs that are willing to run routes.

Edited by Mr. Right

Yes you are right it was all the Coaching staff's fault:

At one point in the interview, Mora asks Vick about his time with the Falcons: "Were you conning me?"

"I think about it a lot, Coach," Vick said. "I was selfish in some aspects. I didn't dedicate myself. I didn't listen. Ya'll was only trying to help me in so many ways. And I was just young. I can't blame myself for that, neither. I can't put 100 percent of the blame on me being young, because I was 25, 26 years old then. So you're old enough to make rational decisions for yourself. You're a grown man.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/columnists/ashley_fox/20101003_Ashley_Fox___Mora_and_Vick_clear_the_air.html#ixzz14htXMT8c

This is simple.

Vick playing for Falcons: Cocky, arrogant, rich, self centered, with a very vicious gambling problem.

Vick playing for Eagles: Fresh out of jail, one chance, trying to redeem himself which leads to better practice and play.

Vick wasn't trying with us. Roddy was being lazy. Jenkins was young and Alge was okay. You can say we didn't have a good team with Vick but that 04 season we had a very good team. The defense was relentless and the offense was #1 in the league............In rushing.

While it is pointless to discuss what 'could have, would have, or should have been,' it is nevertheless still important to examine past mistakes in order to prevent future mistakes. The two mistakes our coaching staff made were:

1. Installing the wrong plays while Michael Vick was quarterback.
  2. Drafting Michael Jenkins and Roddy White with the assumption that Michael Vick was quarterback.

The first point, 'installing the wrong plays' derives from a common misconception about Michael Vick - that he is a running quarterback. Rather, Vick is a quarterback that just happens to be able to run. Because of this misconception, the Falcons often utilized bootlegs, QB draws, etc... that basically limited our quarterback's options. If Vick were to run a QB draw, the defense would only have to stop the run. If Vick rolled out to the left, the defense would only have to cover one half of the field. Vick's 'flash' and ability to make defenders miss were definitely eye-catching, but it mesmerized our coaches into thinking that we should have Vick run more.

Looking at the Eagles game this weekend, Reid utilized Vick as if he was any ordinary passing QB. There were no QB draw plays and only the occasional bootleg. Reid gave Vick a pocket to work with and understood Vick was deadliest when he had both the option to pass to any part on the field AND the back up option of scrambling if needed. In fact, Reid saw how important it was to give Vick the chance to pass that he even brought in extra guys to pass protect. If the Falcons followed this philosophy and shored up our pass protection we could have been much more successful than we were under Jim Mora.

The second point is that we drafted Jenkins and White while Vick was quarterback. Another aspect of Vick's game that is often misunderstood is: although Vick can pass, he is not a Peyton Manning. Vick does not utilize timing as much as normal pocket passers. Rather, he uses his feet and arm to make plays. What I mean by this is, Ryan throws the ball to White right when White comes out of his break. Ryan and White are successful because of their timing.

Vick on the other hand, while uses the timing route, often relies on using his feet to bide time, using his arm to get the ball to where it needs to go, and having his receivers get open. Therefore a WR we should have drafted while Vick was here was a DeSean Jackson type, that is someone who has exceptional speed and agility and does not necessarily rely on timing and route running to get open. Many of the passes from Vick to Jackson involve Jackson just beating his man. You can think of Vick's style as more like 'street ball' where your goal is to try to get open while the QB bides time. (Now if Vick can also develop pin point timing like Peyton Manning while still having the ability to scramble, he will be hands down the best quarterback in the league.)

As a result, both White and Jenkins may have saw their growth stunted due to having the wrong type of quarterback behind center. With Matt Ryan and Chris Redman at QB, White and Jenkins both had break out years. Part of this can be attributed to Joe Horn, another part could be attributed to the fact that they have finally matured, but the most likely culprit of this turn round could be because they are timing WRs. White and Jenkins succeed when the QB can give them the ball at the top of their break. They are not WRs that use their physical ability to get open. The same logic can be applied to Jackson and Kevin Kolb. Kolb is a timing QB while Jackson is a WR that likes to out run the defense. That's why they have not been successful together.

Our poor combination of QB and WR may have prevented us from reaching the Superbowl. Therefore moving forward with Ryan at the helm, we need to make sure to draft WRs that are willing to run routes.

master_of_the_obvious.jpg

Well, now that this is in the right forum...

I finally watched the Mora/Vick interview yesterday. The most telling thing was when Mora said something along the lines of how Vick had other incidents that had popped up and talked about why didn't he just come clean from the beginning and Mike said, "I thought, I'm Mike Vick...this will all work out."

He thought he was untouchable like so many of these guys do and it was going to take something major for it to finally get through to him that he was f***ing up. It's unfortunate that so many of these athletes are coddled by the people that are around them from an early age. They're not doing them any favors with regards to preparing them for life.

That said, I always said that with regards to on the field...the problem was the coaching staff (specifically Greg Knapp, but I digress). It's not a surprise that with a legit coach calling plays and designing the scheme he's performing much better. I mean, you wanna tell me Schaub is a better QB now?

• 2 weeks later...