Steve Wyche just said Falcons put in new pass protection

JRid

You don't understand pass protection schemes? What - you think all teams run the same pass protections?

BWAAAAHAAAHAAAHAAAHAAA!

Sorry - that was rude.

Seriously, go study up a little on protections then come back and delete your post.

I'm not going to delete my post.

There's a difference between changing how you scheme your blocking and personnel changes

Putting a OL in for a tight end that had difficulty blocking is a PERSONNEL change not a scheme change.

Edited by mike11571

I'm not going to delete my post.

There's a difference between changing how you scheme your blocking and personnel changes

Putting a OL in for a tight end that had difficulty blocking is a PERSONNEL change not a scheme change.

Putting an extra OT in the TE slot who never went out for a pass is a scheme change. Keeping Gonzo in blocking most of the first half is a scheme change.

Putting an extra OT in the TE slot who never went out for a pass is a scheme change. Keeping Gonzo in blocking most of the first half is a scheme change.

The scheme is the same. The player is different.

For example, in the Philly game Gonzo was struggling in blocking. They played the clip from NFL Sound Effects where Tony was upset and said something like "let me play my game".

His game is CATCHING PASSES, not blocking.

This week we see Palmer and Svitek in at tight end.

The pass protections didn't change. The responsibility didn't change. The player changed. A better blocker was put in.

The pass protections are different each week depending on how the opposing defense lines up. It's changes each game.

Matt Ryan was not going to throw Gonzo under the bus so he said they made "pass protection" changes.

Edited by mike11571

I think this is BS.

What happened was that the Bengals aren't a good pass rushing team.

Think about it. How can you put in new pass protections??

This is basic football. It should be in your game plan every week. You are either responsible for a "man" or an "area".

What was it...before they said don't block....but this week they said to block..LOL

THe pass protection is that they used the TE to block this week much more as opposed to running routes, how many catches did gonzo get? Go watch the game, his hand was in the dirt the majority of the day

THe pass protection is that they used the TE to block this week much more as opposed to running routes, how many catches did gonzo get? Go watch the game, his hand was in the dirt the majority of the day

This offense has always used a tight end to block.

If they threw less to the tight end this week, that's GAME PLANNING.

As others have told me, Svitek was in as a tight end and I saw Palmer in as a tight end, he made a key block on Turners' TD run.

Nobody is over reacting. He was hit by 2 defenders - but yeah - it was White who fell on him. No - his foot did not get caught in the turf - He bent Ryans foot a the toe as he slammed down on it with his 270+ pounds.

Note the left foot here -

matt-ryan-atlanta-falcons-1216jpg-77e164cf1df097d6_large.jpg

Here are shots of the hit from behind:

Capture3.jpg

The defender was pulling down with his weight to pull Ryan down - while on top of his foot driving it in - then it turned as he fell the rest of the way.

Even with those pics I have to say that injury to Matt was incidental. The Panties diving at Turners ankles last year... now that's a straight ***** move on their part, and after that play I could have burned the Sun with my fury.

Might also be the fact that the Bengals have a terrible pass rush and are 31st in the league with only 6 sacks in 7 games. The good news is that Tampa bay and Carolina whom we have 4 games remaining against also have terrible pass rushes with 5 and 9 sacks in 6 games respectively. However the best teams in the NFC, Giants, Packers... have incredible pass rushes and will present a problem. Green Bay, Baltimore, Seattle and even St-Louis are all capable of applying alot of pressure on opposing QB's so hopefully this new pass protection is effective. Especially if we meet the Giants in the NFC championship game :S

Excellent post.

The only thing I would add is that many of the posters on this board think we will go 5-0 in our last five division games and be the first NFCS team to sweep the division. Most of em think STL and SEA are guaranteed wins on the road. Many of em believe BAL and GB are wins because they're home games. I still say 76% of the posters on this board still have some risin to do. Rise.

Even with those pics I have to say that injury to Matt was incidental. The Panties diving at Turners ankles last year... now that's a straight ***** move on their part, and after that play I could have burned the Sun with my fury.

I didn't say it was intentional. I said they would be gunning for him after what happened here last year. I also said he didn't catch his toe on the turf - because if he had - he wouldn't have stayed out 1 quarter - much less 2 1/2 games.

Believe it - knocking out a Division Rival QB - is a big K U D O to a defender.

I think this is BS.

What happened was that the Bengals aren't a good pass rushing team.

Think about it. How can you put in new pass protections??

This is basic football. It should be in your game plan every week. You are either responsible for a "man" or an "area".

What was it...before they said don't block....but this week they said to block..LOL

dumbest post ever.

Tampa is ranked 6 against the pass - and that's not all in the secondary. Plus - you know after last year - they will be gunning for Ryan to try to knock him out of the game again. I would almost put money on that.

I noticed the protections.

There is a very good reason the Bucs are so highly ranked in pass defense. Tampa Bay is one of the worst teams in the league in defending the run, averaging around 159 rushing yards allowed per game. Teams TB has played have been strong running teams without much of a passing game. And if you can run, you dont have to pass so much.

Against a solid team like the Steelers, TB was torn to shreds. Atlanta represents the most balanced offensive attack the Bucs have faced so far this season, featuring one of the top rushing attacks in the NFL, plus a defense geared to stop the run and force the other team to pass.

I am looking for Atlanta to put a butt whipping on the Bucs in the Dome in two weeks.

The scheme is the same. The player is different.

For example, in the Philly game Gonzo was struggling in blocking. They played the clip from NFL Sound Effects where Tony was upset and said something like "let me play my game".

His game is CATCHING PASSES, not blocking.

This week we see Palmer and Svitek in at tight end.

The pass protections didn't change. The responsibility didn't change. The player changed. A better blocker was put in.

The pass protections are different each week depending on how the opposing defense lines up. It's changes each game.

Matt Ryan was not going to throw Gonzo under the bus so he said they made "pass protection" changes.

Dude ... they are doing things different. Process that through your brain and move on. Sticking extra OTs on the field is different. Keeping Gonzo in to block more is different. Since we let Hartsock go our #1 TE has been mostly used as a passing weapon. This week we went max protect more than has been the case in almost 2 seasons.

So you can call it whatever you want, but the fact of the matter is in this game OBVIOUS changes were made in how we were pass protecting. Matt commented on it ... end of story.

Edited by Geneaut

Tampa is ranked 6 against the pass - and that's not all in the secondary. Plus - you know after last year - they will be gunning for Ryan to try to knock him out of the game again. I would almost put money on that.

I noticed the protections.

yep but they are like almost at the bottom on run d... hooty hoo... 31st to be exact sir! cool.gif

There is a very good reason the Bucs are so highly ranked in pass defense. Tampa Bay is one of the worst teams in the league in defending the run, averaging around 159 rushing yards allowed per game. Teams TB has played have been strong running teams without much of a passing game. And if you can run, you dont have to pass so much.

Against a solid team like the Steelers, TB was torn to shreds. Atlanta represents the most balanced offensive attack the Bucs have faced so far this season, featuring one of the top rushing attacks in the NFL, plus a defense geared to stop the run and force the other team to pass.

I am looking for Atlanta to put a butt whipping on the Bucs in the Dome in two weeks.

yes indeed. let the beatings begin...

Point is... If we want to hang with the best in the NFC we need to test this pass protection against a viable opponent which I think Green Bay will be a great test and should let us know if we can actually protect our 72,000,000$ man.

Edited by Roudy1234

Nobody is over reacting. He was hit by 2 defenders - but yeah - it was White who fell on him. No - his foot did not get caught in the turf - He bent Ryans foot a the toe as he slammed down on it with his 270+ pounds.

Note the left foot here -

matt-ryan-atlanta-falcons-1216jpg-77e164cf1df097d6_large.jpg

Here are shots of the hit from behind:

Capture3.jpg

The defender was pulling down with his weight to pull Ryan down - while on top of his foot driving it in - then it turned as he fell the rest of the way.

point being that yall are making it sound like they just blew him up or somthing... they just fell on him... his foot was just caought in the wrong place....

I did notice Svitek out there several times. I wondered why he was out there and I didn't realize he was lined up at TE because the times I noticed him were after the play ended.

I know we put Hawley out there at TE some during pre-season, but I'm not sure we have put Hawley out there in the regular season.

Any idea how much Svitek lined up at TE?

Peele's out 4-6 weeks with hernia surgery.Guess they don't have enough confidence in Palmer's blocking yet.

some of yall are over reacting to ryan being out... they didnt knock him at all, he fell and styles white fell on him and his foot got caught in the truf aka ;;turf toe''..... tampa D doesnt scare anyone...

we ran down there throats last year, we'll just do it again... with a healthy team this time...

Sorry, allow me to clarify.

I wasn't saying the Tampa defense was a monster.... I was just saying on his 2nd play in the game... the protection broke down... quickly and he decided to scramble and when he did he was consequently injured.

If I remember correctly the ball was snapped and Ryan stayed in the pocket for about a second before he was scrambling... so I am assuming it was a situation where the protection completely broke down as it did in several other games last season.

I guess it's possible it could have been a designed QB draw but it sure didn't look like it.