I know its early... What about Jared Gaither?

Baltimore is placing the talented young Tackle (who will not be retained at the end of this year) on injured reserve. Baltimore even stated prior to this season that they would not offer any additional years on his contract.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/30116/jared-gaither-likely-done-in-baltimore

Edited by Atlfanstckndenver

Left tackles of this caliber RARELY actually hit the market. I believe its because the Ravens do not feel they should essentially pay for two top tier tackles. I actually believe there is a chance that TD might look into this this off season. Its been proven that Dimitrov has players that he has liked since his days in New England. Actually i think that Dunta Robinson is one of those players that he was probably waiting on to become a free agent. Basically i really hope they plan on addressing this position. Baker CAN be a good right tackle. I just dont think that he is good enough in space to be facing the best pass rusher the opposing team has to offer.

I think there are huge questions as to his health (WTF is wrong with his back?) and his work ethic. Ravens had clearly had enough of Gaither before this year anyways.

However, dude was awesome at LT, and could fill in our biggest need. I love Gaither the player. He's huge, strong, and graded out as one of the best LT's in football last year. I'd like to see us check him out, Baker clearly isn't the guy.

wish we had drafted Michael Oher. He was one of the best LTs and we passed him to ge Peria Jerry..who doesn't help this team as much as Oher would have.

Great point, if it was true. Baltimore jumped us and the Fins to grab Oher (I think we were likely to grab him if not). We would have had to have traded up.

Great point, if it was true. Baltimore jumped us and the Fins to grab Oher (I think we were likely to grab him if not). We would have had to have traded up.

I wish we would have gotten Oher as well, but I dont think we would have, because we still had faith in Baker back then...not anymore

Edited by KSFALCON

I wish we would have gotten Oher as well, but I dont think we would have, because we still had faith in Baker back then...not anymore

I dunno, only if we were sold on Baker at LT. Plus Oher was a huge value at that spot. Baltimore (IMHO) traded up for a reason, and I don't think Miami was going to take a LT after taking Jake Long 1st overall and having Carey on the other side. Unless there was fear of another team attempting to trade up, Baltimore thought we might take a run at Oher.

Gaither is a really good talent but he has been injury prone. I would get him but only if he came for reasonable money, not like what we payed Robinson. Maybe more like Turner's money but heavily dependent on the amount of games he starts.

Also, I don't think Oher was our target. Doubt we would've gone for another LT in the 1st round for a consecutive year. I remember an interview where I think Smith told Jerry that if he's available, he'll definitely be the pick. And wasn't there a lot of celebration in the room when our pick came around, with Peria Jerry available? Pretty sure Jerry was the number 1 choice for us.

And last but not least, we should draft Nate Solder.

pass on the guy. has the talent, but gets injured to much.

I think it's just been the one injury since last year. He played in all 16 games in 08, and was a beast. Baker has NEVER played more than 14 games, and has not been as beastly. If he passes a physical, I think he could be a great pickup, but will likely be signing a one year deal to show he can play without getting injured.

That would require him outplaying Tyson Clabo first, and I don't think he can.

Tyson has been getting very good reviews and ratings this year.

I've heard others say that the physical requirements for LT and RT are quite different (I do not know)

and that Baker would NOT be a good RT. Yet I see many poster who want to move him there. Why, if he is not a good fit? Put him as backup LT or trade him if he can't do the job. BUT be sure you do have someone better on hand.

I also think that the LT has a very hard job protecting the blind side of a right handed QB.

The opposing Defenses will always have their best pass rush from that side,

I also think there are very few elite LT around anywhere.