Smith wants Atlanta offense to get going faster

hawkeye

I didn't read the quote/post.

Based off of the topic my first thought was, "No duh."

It's fairly standard Falcons ball to not do much until the third or fourth quarter.

I'm not trying to be a dink but it is Falcons ball. It's the "bend don't break" mentality that the coaches even say they have. You cannot have that mentality in the NFL. When you do that you barely squeak by poor/marginal teams and then when you play someone like Philly you look like garbage.

We do not have a team that can successfully play from 14+ points behind and win. We may pull one out, but to try to routinely do that is impossible for the team we have right now.

With that said. With the team we have right now we should be whoopin' up on people. However, we still need better Offensive play calling/execution and we still need to improve our pass defense.

Well it seems to me we were better off using a TE to block (sorry Gonzo) rather than as a receiver. It's clear we did much better throwing to our WR's with the TE staying in to block and by doing this it also stretched the field which now opens the running game.

To me it's a domino effect the defense now takes Gonzo out of the play and will even use bracket coverage on a blitz. Now we have one less lineman to block the blitz and Ryan is either sacked or hurried.

Imo teams that use a TE heavily in their offense have a stellar O-Line, example the Colts. On passing plays it seems with our average O-Line during a pass play we should keep Gonzo in to block and Turner as well **** keep Ovie in if wee need to and throw to White,Jenkins or Douglas. Let Tony roll off the block as a safety valve if necessary.

Look at the style we ran in 2008. We had blocking TE's. I would love for us to do that alot more tbh.

Smith said we need to put our guys in the best situation to be successful. Sounds like he is talking about playcalling. Ryan has to play better, he has not played that well since NO game. Hopefully he gets hot and we get the offense rolling. We need to take some deep shots early, but we have to hit them. Also why did it take to the 4th quarter to run a double move on Samuals.

Edited by bighurt

Great! This is why I love Smitty! He's not turning a blind eye to anything! He sees the problems and attacks them unlike our previous (Jim Mora Jr.) pep rally coach!

But I just want to point out an error in that article. It was 2008 that we outscored opponents 114-52 in the 1st quarter. Not last year. They've got it backwards.

Then he better hire a new OC---ours has no imagination

Then you are either deaf or an idiot.

Greg Knapp got blasted on this message board on a daily basis.

You probably didn't even know who the OC was when Vick was here.

QFT. As one of the ones doing the blasting back then, I have an eerie sense of deja vu with all the Ryan haters on board now.

Well it seems to me we were better off using a TE to block (sorry Gonzo) rather than as a receiver. It's clear we did much better throwing to our WR's with the TE staying in to block and by doing this it also stretched the field which now opens the running game.

To me it's a domino effect the defense now takes Gonzo out of the play and will even use bracket coverage on a blitz. Now we have one less lineman to block the blitz and Ryan is either sacked or hurried.

Imo teams that use a TE heavily in their offense have a stellar O-Line, example the Colts. On passing plays it seems with our average O-Line during a pass play we should keep Gonzo in to block and Turner as well **** keep Ovie in if wee need to and throw to White,Jenkins or Douglas. Let Tony roll off the block as a safety valve if necessary.

I hate to say it, but I'm coming around to this point of view. A pass-catching TE can be a young QB's best friend, but Ryan doesn't NEED that safety valve. He'll find the open man. What he NEEDS is time. And he doesn't have it.

Ideally, I'd love a great o-line, Tony G and all the weapons we have. As it is, I fear putting the TE in coverage so much is affecting our protection negatively and exposing our o-line for what it is -- mediocre.

My two cents: The problem on offense is twofold. Obviously Mularkey to a point. One reason blame is on him, is because i'm sure that he has input to players drafted/signed on offense. Secondly, we have talent, but do we have explosiveness? I don't see it. HD is a decent slot guy, but we are built to be a plodding offense that moves the chains. That's fine against teams that don't have a ton of speed. But who is our threat to score every time they touch the ball? Who do we have that is a legit long threat or a guy with some "wiggle" that can take a slant and go 50 yards after the catch? Look i know everyone will say the defensive focus was necessary and we only had so many picks to play with. But I say this we made a deliberate gamble that the offense was fine--and were wrong. Had we been more balanced in our picks, i doubt that we would be in this offensive dilemma. I still do not understand why you draft a QB so high and don't focus on building around him. Bottom line is yeah everyone wants a dominant defense, but in this day and age and the way the rules are, youre better to open up your offense and put up a ton of points.

I never really thought about it that way, but that certainly seems like it could be the case. Roddy is benefiting from the bracket coverage to Gonzalez, but he's also good enough to beat a bracket of his own on occasions. It was commented that Mularkey never used a tight end prominently in his offenses of yesteryear, so maybe he hasn't adjusted the right way to using Gonzalez as a receiving threat.

In my opinion Harry Douglas should be a huge threat in our offense, but we seem to hardly take advantage of it. He should be our Wes Welker, but he isn't thus far.