NFL releases video of whats legal, and illegal as far as hits

The Ray Lewis play, and D-rob play looks like the same f'ing play/hit.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d81b80962/Player-safety

The Lewis hit was definitely lower and he didn't come up through the head of the receiver. The final "legal" hit that they showed though seemed really similar to the D-Rob hit IMO.

Can someone tell me how Jackson is attempting to catch a pass? It looked like Jackson caught the pass to me. He had control of the ball and was on his second step after catch the ball. What does the NFL want D. Rob to do? Just step to the side and let another player who didn't get the chance to take pursuit of the receiver or ball after the ball was thrown.

I couldnt agree more, this is terrible there were the exact same hits except jackson actually possesses the ball, that tight end doesnt and gets hit but jackson is the defenseless receiver? The nfl is blind

Can someone tell me how Jackson is attempting to catch a pass? It looked like Jackson caught the pass to me. He had control of the ball and was on his second step after catch the ball. What does the NFL want D. Rob to do? Just step to the side and let another player who didn't get the chance to take pursuit of the receiver or ball after the ball was thrown.

They wanted him to hit Jackson a little bit lower so that there was no contact with his head after the initial contact.

Thanks for the link. AND, I agree...The D.Rob and Ray Lewis hits are very similar. The Lewis hit is just slightly lower than D. Rob's hit at the point of impact and completion.

Here's a question that I haven't seen asked and/or answered: Could the OFFENSIVE player be causing some of the so called "illegal hits" by lower HIS head in attempt to protect himself and, thus, creating the "helmet-to-helmet" collisions???

Even with a defensive player's best intentions to avoid a helmet-to-helmet collision, there is just NO WAY he can control the actions and/or movements of an offensive player in the heat of the action!! :rolleyes:

Edited by BirdzEyeView

Thanks for the link. AND, I agree...The D.Rob and Ray Lewis hits are very similar. The Lewis hit is just slightly lower than D. Rob's hit at the point of impact and completion.

Here's a question that I haven't seen asked and/or answered: Could the OFFENSIVE player be causing some of the so called "illegal hits" by lower HIS head in attempt to protect himself and, thus, creating the "helmet-to-helmet" collisions???

Even with a defensive player's best intentions to avoid a helmet-to-helmet collision, there is just NO WAY he can control the actions and/or movements of an offensive player in the heat of the action!! :rolleyes:

thats a good point. when an offensive player sees a defender coming in for the hit, his initial reaction will be to lower his head and make his body as small of a target as possible. the defender could be aiming for the chest but with the offensive player lower his head could lead to helmet to helmet.

NFL is getting a little soft, eh? <_<

I understand that they are trying to protect players from getting hurt but most of the guys don't do it on purpose and I think it's ridiculous that they are fining players.

I just wanna get this out for the sake of Dunta... HIS HIT WAS CLEAN AND HE SHOULD GET HIS MONEY BACK!

People are missing the point here - the rules are around HITS TO THE HEAD. You can lay a man out - but it has to be to the chest - they don't want body to helmet launching as these result in potential future head injuries and concussions...

Pay attention and people would know this, I think this is the right stance - avoid the hits to the head. If you want to ruin this sport, let these guys continue to get hit in the head and look like punch drunk fools when they are 40 and can't remember what they did with their lives.

People are missing the point here - the rules are around HITS TO THE HEAD. You can lay a man out - but it has to be to the chest - they don't want body to helmet launching as these result in potential future head injuries and concussions...

Pay attention and people would know this, I think this is the right stance - avoid the hits to the head. If you want to ruin this sport, let these guys continue to get hit in the head and look like punch drunk fools when they are 40 and can't remember what they did with their lives.

The thing is - the only guy who made an illegal hit last week was Brandon Merriweather. Dunta Hit Jackson in the chest/shoulder.

Harrison tried to mae a textbook hit on Massaqoi, and the only reason Massaqoi got knocked out was because he lowered his head into Harrison's shoulder pad.

If the league is really concerned about those hits, they should tell the QBs and WRs to play better. Harrison and Robinson were just doing their job.

as said previously dunta's hit and ray lewis's hit are identical. this is ******** to try to enforce. the NFL expects the refs to implement these "blank"-hair rule differences?

what bothers me the most is the 15 yard penalties for personal fouls. these personal fouls and fines should be based on seeing evidence of malicious intent. to expect someone to contort their bodies at these speeds just to make to avoid the unavoidable is a freaking joke.

for the life of me why aren't penalties reviewable and challengable?

The Lewis hit and Robinson hit are very similar BUT Lewis hit is lower and doesn't contact the helmet. If Robinson would have lowered his aiming point he would have still broken up the play and probably not knocked both of them out of the game. True story...

What I cannot understand is why the league or people like you don't get it. The ball was thrown high, Jackson had to reach up some to catch it. DRob is a DB that is supposed to go after the ball, his initial reaction was to go after the ball. As Jackson lowers the ball DRob lowers his hit. DRob's initial hit was to the shoulderpad which is not the fricken helmet. It was a bang, bang play meaning he had less than a fraction of a second to adjust going after the ball and make a hit to stop Jackson from catching the ball, making the first down, and getting YAC. Anyone who says he hit him too high has not played DB and been in a position where they are supposed to pick off passes and make the big play DRob did.

Both you and NFL need to get a clue because this type of hit is going to continue to occur as long as passes are thrown high and DBs are doing their job - just like DRob was doing.