Robinson fined $50k

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't avoid it. That's why the rule is stupid and too ambiguous to be effective. Defenses need to be able to hit receivers to make them think more about the hit that could be coming while they are trying to make a catch.

I've NEVER said I agreed with the rule, just that it IS the rule.

Yeah, I know you never said that. I'm just venting about the issue. I'd like Mr. Anderson to show the football world how you prevent that situation, and when I say "that situation", I mean a bang bang collision

Yes, it was definitely an illegal hit by 2010 rules.

But as I said, I didn't agree with the rule the way it was written either. It is the rule, and the NFL should enforce it and enforce it consistently in all games, but when a player goes into the chest and then makes secondary contact with the head, that should be written out of the rule.

And maybe they will change it but if it is illegal by rule it is going to get a fine. If both players leave the field with concussions it will probably be a big fine.

I get what they are trying to do but I am not sure how to accomplish it. A lot of focus is on retired players and how much abuse they have taken in the game. The reality is the best way to force a fumble is to put your helmet on the ball. Unfortunately, things move so fast on a football field a legal hit becomes illegal in less than a blink of an eye.

Well if that hit was illegal the next time he needs to hit more then one player in a game the fines gets cheaper after the first hit.

"Steelers linebacker James Harrison states his objective matter-of-factly: He's out to hurt any opposing player who roams into his vicinity.

If he sees players down on the turf -- as he did Sunday when he sidelined Cleveland Browns wide receivers Joshua Cribbs and Mohamed Massaquoi with concussion-causing hits just minutes apart -- he knows he has done his job."

He only pays 75k for two hit guess if he had 3 it would be 87,500 k since it gets cuts in half for each hit after the first one. :wacko: :wacko:

No. It was an illegal hit initially because the referee saw it that way. The NFL later confirmed it and added a fine.

they later confirmed it as a illegal hit because it was "devastating" I wasnt talking about the on field miscall, because it was the wrong call. Period.

See a flag on Revis? Same play?

or a flag on Landry hitting Rodgers with the crown of his helmet?

Or how Harrison didn't get flagged on either of his on field illegal hits.

I know it might be hard to keep up, would you like for me to draw you a map?

per Mort on ESPN

With that, I'm done with the NFL and ESPN. Enjoy your flag football. BTW, Meriweather was fined $50k for his helmet to facemask hit on a defenseless Heap. BULLSH1T.

I understand the fine which I agree with Rodney Harrison, Fining a player like Dunta who just got a 57 million deal is like a slap on the wrist. If you want to fine them, don't cost them money, suspend them for a game. But at the same time it was a bang bang hit and if you look at it, it was a legal hit. It just sounded like a car wreck. Dunta didn't try to do that hit, he just reacted.

Also I can understand all these rules for college and younger, because their not making money off of it. The NFL players get paid millions, they know the risk. What they need to do is make the equipment better, They have changed things but overall its the same.

Because Personally the way its going, i'm not going to watch guys getting paid millions of dollars with BS rules, you might as well wrap their azz in bubble wrap. ;) Its why Nascar went in the crapper too.

The game is getting too offensive run, taking too many things away from the defense. ;)

Edited by nativefalcon

they later confirmed it as a illegal hit because it was "devastating" I wasnt talking about the on field miscall, because it was the wrong call. Period.

See a flag on Revis? Same play?

or a flag on Landry hitting Rodgers with the crown of his helmet?

Or how Harrison didn't get flagged on either of his on field illegal hits.

I know it might be hard to keep up, would you like for me to draw you a map?

Everything I have read says that the fine was handed down because it was illegal not because it was "devastating".

I didnt get to watch the game because it wasnt aired here but I did see a clip of the tackle. I believe he shouldnt be finned the money because it was obvious not intent. But fact is he was finned. In reality who cares since 50,000 is NOTHING to him. The guy's rich, he doesnt care about 50k I'm sure.

I know its more about principle over the amount of money but it happened and its in the rules not to make hits like that. It happened and the NFL ruled it was a violation.

This is a legal hit, to the letter of the law, and the flag was not needed. The guy was trying to catch the ball on 3rd down, should he have let him catch it and secure it before ripping his flag off? Give me a break.

This is the rule:

12-2-8-h Defenseless Receiver

[unnecessary roughness] includes ... f a receiver has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself, a defensive player is prohibited from launching (springing forward and upward) into him in a way that causes the defensive player’s helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm to forcibly strike the receiver’s head or neck area—even if the initial contact of the defender’s helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm is lower than the receiver’s neck.

When Robinson's shoulder went up into the face/neck area of Jackson, it became an illegal hit per 2010 NFL rules.

This is the rule:

When Robinson's shoulder went up into the face/neck area of Jackson, it became an illegal hit per 2010 NFL rules.

They are so hysterical they are giving out negs over quoting the NFL rule? I took care of one of them.

I don't like the way the rule is written but I am conflicted. The worst results of the play were not a 15 yd penalty and a fine that barely makes a scratch in his paycheck... the worst results were that he knocked himself out of the game and the way the NFL is these days with concussion protocol we probably won't see him again until after the Bye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYL5ltBZZlg

I've watched it a few times...sure looks like he's leading with the shoulder. He tilts his head to the side (not leading with the helmet) so are they saying if the helmet hits a guy in his chest it's a fine? Not sure that's what the rule was set out to accomplish.

Like I said, complete overreaction to the fact that both guys got hurt. We hate to see injuries but how many years have we watched this game? It's a rough game and always has been. Completely BS fine.

Ok if Dunta can’t hit Desean like that then Desean should have to stop and let Dunta tackle him. Or are the defenders suppose to wait till the play is over and tag the receiver as down. :huh:

Oh this is how it is suppose to work. Let the player with the ball stop running and dodging so the defender can coordinate just where he can and can’t hit the other player. I got it now we just have to implement this during the game. :unsure: