Thomas Decoud explains

atljbo

Oct. 17, 2010 6:09 p.m. - S Thomas DeCoud on the 83-yard TD pass to Eagles WR Jeremy Maclin: "I was reading my keys when I heard somebody yell, 'Reverse! Reverse!' And when I turned my head, he took off. I'll take the blame for that." Falcons RapidReports

I'm glad he finally owned up to one of his gaffes. He normally gives some statement that deflects the attention away from him and to some other aspect of the team. Kudos.

Dude needs to rise cause he got handled deep a few times last year and this year. Good QBs are playin him a little bit. Palmer up next with OchoUnoCinqo in tow.

I'd really like to know this because if it was from the LB corps, then that's a problem.

Well, as of right now it WAS a problem. I'm fairly certain that the coaches are aware of the situation and taking proper steps to reduce issues like this. However, this is still a game of strategy.. the right calls aren't always going to be made and sometimes there are going to be big plays. While, there are a few exceptions, most plays that go for a ton of yardage are the result of miscalculations on the defensive side of the ball. There is no way to predict when it's going to happen or stop it happening all together.

Abe has even stated how they prepared to face a completely different offensive scheme than the one they faced Sunday. The best thing for us is to just put this behind us and see how our defense reacts to it. If it coninues to happen, then I'll agree that there is indeed an issue, but it's hard to make that call after one game, especially a game that had a few tricky plays that caught our defense off guard.

Edited by Master Exploder

I'm glad he finally owned up to one of his gaffes. He normally gives some statement that deflects the attention away from him and to some other aspect of the team. Kudos.

Dude needs to rise cause he got handled deep a few times last year and this year. Good QBs are playin him a little bit. Palmer up next with OchoUnoCinqo in tow.

He still kind of did.

DeCoud is having an awful year. Awful. He's shared at least 50% of the responsibility for every big play this defense has given up all year.

I'd really like to know this because if it was from the LB corps, then that's a problem.

On plays like that everyone is yelling reverse. Dosent matter. The number 1 job of a safety is to never allow anyone behind you. EVER!!!

If he DE is doing his job correctly then reverses don't work!

Our DE's didnt do their job and neither did our safeties.

He still kind of did.

DeCoud is having an awful year. Awful. He's shared at least 50% of the responsibility for every big play this defense has given up all year.

Yea, I was gonna say he's "taking responsibility" but also pointing out that someone was yelling out reverse to him. So in essence has taken some of it.

On plays like that everyone is yelling reverse. Dosent matter. The number 1 job of a safety is to never allow anyone behind you. EVER!!!

If he DE is doing his job correctly then reverses don't work!

Our DE's didnt do their job and neither did our safeties.

If he's reading his keys and someone yells reverse, then he's obviously trusting what his guys are seeing. He shouldn't have let the WR get behind him, that goes without saying. If it came from the LB corps, the guys who are supposed to be the first line at reading a trick play, then that's where I have a problem.

As for the DE's doing their job, it was obvious Abe was hurt because they ran them/faked them to his side and he moved like molasses in the winter.

If he's reading his keys and someone yells reverse, then he's obviously trusting what his guys are seeing. He shouldn't have let the WR get behind him, that goes without saying. If it came from the LB corps, the guys who are supposed to be the first line at reading a trick play, then that's where I have a problem. As for the DE's doing their job, it was obvious Abe was hurt because they ran them/faked them to his side and he moved like molasses in the winter.

Former high school FS legend in my own mind checking in here. They teach you from day one as a FS to never, ever, eva eva let anyone get past you. Smitty was basically saying the same thing in today's articles. Never bro. Dude has done it quite a few times. He needs to Rise.

That's cool of Thomas to take the blame for that play.........that was 100% his fault.

I watched the replay and I think Owens should share a lot of the blame as well. DeCoud shouldn't have let Maclin get behind him. But Owens shouldn't have abandoned coverage on Maclin either. Owens lined up across from Maclin and bit on the fake reverse, allowing Maclin to be completely uncovered for an easy big pickup.

I watched the replay and I think Owens should share a lot of the blame as well. DeCoud shouldn't have let Maclin get behind him. But Owens shouldn't have abandoned coverage on Maclin either. Owens lined up across from Maclin and bit on the fake reverse, allowing Maclin to be completely uncovered for an easy big pickup.

Either way, Owens responsibility is short in that defense, not the bomb. They weren't playing deep thirds, basically it was a 2 deep they were in.

Who's responsibility was it to cover him to begin with. Although Decoud did not get over there, wasn't their a coverage breakdown to begin with. I saw noone. Was it Owens man. ?

If it's the TD I'm thinking about(hard to keep track)Owens bit on a fake and left his man open.Decoud couldn't get over in time.I thought it was on Owens.