Deon Sanders says Dunta made a "clean hit"

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look pretty clean to me too, NFL network played it over and over and in super slow mo over, ESPN did it too and Fox sports and even though the analyst had mixed feelings on it, but with my own eyes didn't see much i could call dirty, looked dirty going at regular game speed but slowed down it looks pretty clean or at the very least not enough to draw a severe penalty..

Wouldn't had changed the outcome of the game it looks like though..

Falcons looked like they had peaked too early and the bigger bird cousin picked them apart, a desperate and pretty talented Bengals team will test you guys to see where your at mid-season wise, This is a very good match up.

Edited by SaintsWrath

The new rule for the NFL on defenseless receivers is that you cannot hit his head, which means the defensive player has to come in lower. On the Robinson hit, he went in and struck the shoulder/chest first, but the force of their collision caused their helmets to hit. Per the 2010 rule, that is striking the head of the defenseless receiver. I don't agree with it at all, there was no intent for that to be a dirty play. In 2009, that's a 100% legal hit. But the new rule makes this a penalty.

NFL rule changes for 2010

• A defenseless player cannot be hit in the head or neck by an opponent who launches himself and uses his helmet, shoulder or forearm to make contact.

The rule no longer says "initial contact" in the head. That's too ambiguous IMO, collisions that take place with major force, like the Robinson/Jackson one cause a whiplash effect on the neck, where the head continues to move forward even though the body has stopped. That's what caused the hit to Jackson's head, but with the way the new rule reads, the call was technically correct.

I'm interested to see if Robinson gets fined for this hit because if he does, the NFL can go 2 ways about this as I see it.

1. Make running a route to the middle of the field an illegal route and a 10 yard penalty on the offense.

2. Make the game 2 hand touch.

This is just more pandering to NFL offenses in order to get the score board to light up because of the notion that Americans have short attention spans and want to see points, points, points!!!!

Just my opinion, but the NFL needs to be very careful when it comes to changing the game in the name of safety. I'm a big NASCAR fan for 30 years and have seen my favorite "sport" get castrated, spit shined and polished all in the name of "safety". What we have now is a homogenized product that no one is happy with-not even the racers themselves. Part of the lure of both racing and football is that the participants have "skin in the game" i.e. there is danger involved. By all means, if you can make things safer without changing the integrity of the game, have at it. But when a DB is not allowed to separate the WR in the act of catching the ball anymore, at what point does in not become the game of football anymore? I quit playing baseball at a young age because I was tired of getting beaned by the ball, but even at 15 I knew the inherent risks of that game.

Edited by NCFalconfan

The defenseless player rule does state "A receiver in the act of catching the ball is defenseless"....so I don't know what you do with that...seems like there's been a lot of missed calls this year

The literal definition is vague. I had a post in another thread where I went into more detail and specifically covered that. The way they explained it originally was that it's protecting WR's when they are reaching out for a pass because they are completely exposed. If the ball is pulled in, it's not supposed to apply. Jackson wasn't reaching out for a pass, he had it cradled.

agreed, i was livid when i saw the flag. it was such a big stop in a huge moment in the game.

there was no contact to deseans helmet and idk how he can be perveiced as defenseless when dunta hit him right in his frontside. that was deseans deicision to take the hit.

If you think there was no contact to Jackson's helmet, you need to go back & watch it again in slow motion. The initial hit was not there, but the whiplash effect did cause contact to Jackson's head.

If you think there was no contact to Jackson's helmet, you need to go back & watch it again in slow motion. The initial hit was not there, but the whiplash effect did cause contact to Jackson's head.

not sure how you can blame one player for another player's...which is what the rule, as you interpret it, is stating you are doing...the rule is blaming a defender for an offensive players head contacting THEM

so, by that definition, an offensive player should lead their helmet into defenders...that way a defensive penalty will ensue

my point is, the rule shouldnt punish a defender because an offensive ballcarrier has a floppy neck

not sure how you can blame one player for another player's...which is what the rule, as you interpret it, is stating you are doing...the rule is blaming a defender for an offensive players head contacting THEM

so, by that definition, an offensive player should lead their helmet into defenders...that way a defensive penalty will ensue

my point is, the rule shouldnt punish a defender because an offensive ballcarrier has a floppy neck

1000% agree. The rule is too ambiguous as currently written. It leaves way too much up to interpretation by the official on a high speed play with only 1 look at it. It's a rule to protect the offensive player, and it puts the defense at a very significant disadvantage if it is enforced by the way it's written, as it was in this case. Robinson did exactly as he had been taught his entire life. He separated the receiver from the ball with a hit to the receivers shoulder/chest area. Physics took over at that point and caused the collision between heads that caused the concussion. It absolutely should NOT be a penalty.

Player safety should be a priority, but the defense should not be nerfed so much that they are only allowed to play flag football out there. Mod or Jay Adams, or someone said, and I agree, that the focus really needs to be on the technology. Helmets shouldn't weigh 20 pounds, they should be more of a shock absorber than bulk armor.

It was a clean hit, and I think it should have been ruled a fumble.

And aside from the brutality of it, how is this any different than that hit Roddy took a few weeks ago where the safety came over and drilled him?

Edited by shc

It was a clean hit, and I think it should have been ruled a fumble.

And aside from the brutality of it, how is this any different than that hit Roddy took a few weeks ago where the safety came over and drilled him?

That is exactly what I thought of when I saw the flag come out. Then I said to myself "Roddy got up so the ref didn't think it was malicious." Jackson is all of 160 lbs and has been bent out of shape in his NFL career. They should have thrown a flag on Kolb for hanging him out to dry...

Player safety should be a priority, but the defense should not be nerfed so much that they are only allowed to play flag football out there. Mod or Jay Adams, or someone said, and I agree, that the focus really needs to be on the technology. Helmets shouldn't weigh 20 pounds, they should be more of a shock absorber than bulk armor.

I have always believed that the helmets and shoulder pads make the game far more dangerous...those helmets are like cannon balls.

It would be very interesting to compare the concussion rates of Rugby union player incididence vs American football.

Only reason they called it a dirty hit was because of how hard Dunta hit him. What was Dunta suppose to do? Let Desean catch it and run past him? Great play by Dunta, it was Kolb's fault for leading Desean like that up the middle.

This^^^

D-Rob took the biggest threat(at that point) out of the game. I'm not saying that he meant to injure him or make his brain turn to mush, but he was letting D-Jax know that he was there. I'm willing to bet that more than one reciever will think twice before they go across the middle toward's Robinson. It was a clean hit, just sorta unfortunate circumstances...

Great hard clean hit. The reply distinctly shows Jackson with the ball when he was hit in the chest by Robinson's shoulder. No doubt it was a vicious hit, but THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO PLAY THE GAME OF FOOTBALL IF YOUR PLAYING IT RIGHT! Fines and penalties cannot alter the speed of the game, and if it does than we as fans are not getting a pure product and that stinks.