Tom Hardy cast in a "lead role" in Dark Knight sequel

Testasparo

The meaning behind "lead role" seems to be that he's playing the main villain in the next installment of Nolan's Batman movie, which has yet to receive a title.

Hardy starred alongside Leonardo DiCaprio in Christopher Nolan's summer blockbuster Inception.

Based on Hardy's look alone, I'd assume a villain like Black Mask, or The Riddler.

depp wouldnt be so bad, but when i see riddler, i think of crispin glover, especially from charlies angels 2, when he played the thin man.

Man, I would love to see Crispin Glover as any Batman villian. He really gets into those creepy roles.

As for Hardy, I could see him portraying the Riddler or Mr. Freeze.

Long shot here, but given the storyline and plot from The Dark Knight, I wouldn't be surprised if he played Anarky. You've got Batman now a criminal and Anarky wasn't exactly friendly with the criminal side. You've got the gadget connection between the two and you've also got the League of Shadows and Anarky's martial arts background. It would also continue the theme with the Joker as an "agent of chaos". Again, long shot, but it wouldn't shock me.

They can't possibly include The Joker in the next few. No one could replace Ledger at this point in time. One of the greatest movie villain performances ever. :(

I don't think anyone's talking about having the Joker in the next one. I'd like to see a continuation of the "chaos" theme, though.

Also keep in mind the nature of villains in the recent movies. All of them have been believable. The Joker was eccentric, but that always seemed like an act he put on. Two-Face was a normal guy who had a horrific accident. Even the Scarecrow was a normal guy who used the mask to further his goals (scaring the bejesus out of people he drugged). It doesn't make sense to me that they would add someone like Mr. Freeze to the movies, someone whose background just isn't very realistic. The Riddler could fit in if done right, and I've been saying for a long time that Johnny Depp would make that role.

Man, I would love to see Crispin Glover as any Batman villian. He really gets into those creepy roles.

As for Hardy, I could see him portraying the Riddler or Mr. Freeze.

he really does.

I was thinking the same thing.

Of course, I also didn't think Heath Ledger would make a good Joker, so what do I know? :mellow:

very true.