WHY?

Falconsfan567

I just don't understand why the Falcons get absolutely no love. Why is it only the Jets, Ravens and Steelers when people talk about the best team in the NFL?

The Falcons are 2nd in the NFL in scoring defense. The Falcons are 10th in the NFL in defensive ypg. The Falcons have recorded 11 sacks already which isn't great but good. The Falcons lead the NFL in interceptions with 10. And 9 of those interceptions are by 9 different players. The Falcons are +7 in turnover differental.

Oh wait I know the answer! It's because everyone thinks Matt Ryan sucks! :angry:

Compare Ryan's numbers to those of Sanchez, Flacco and Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger has no stats yet for this year so that eliminates him.

Matt Ryan - 109 of 177 (61.2%), 1165 yds (6.6), 7 TD, 3 INT - 86.9 QB Rating.

Mark Sanchez - 81 of 147 (55.1%), 902 yds (6.1), 8 TD, 0 INT - 91.7 QB Rating.

Joe Flacco - 97 of 170 (57.1%), 1116 yds (6.6), 5 TD, 6 INT - 72.1 QB Rating.

I just don't understand it. I honestly dont't. :(

I just don't understand why the Falcons get absolutely no love. Why is it only the Jets, Ravens and Steelers when people talk about the best team in the NFL?

The Falcons are 2nd in the NFL in scoring defense. The Falcons are 10th in the NFL in defensive ypg. The Falcons have recorded 11 sacks already which isn't great but good. The Falcons lead the NFL in interceptions with 10. And 9 of those interceptions are by 9 different players. The Falcons are +7 in turnover differental.

Oh wait I know the answer! It's because everyone thinks Matt Ryan sucks! :angry:

Compare Ryan's numbers to those of Sanchez, Flacco and Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger has no stats yet for this year so that eliminates him.

As annoying as it is, it probably has to do with a network bias...southern teams rarely get the coverage that teams from the upper east/northeast receive...with the exception of the Saints coverage in the wake of the SB last year (which by the way is beginning to taper off now that the team is struggling) you will always hear more about the Jets (New York), the Steelers (always gets lots of coverage), and the Ravens (northeast megalopolis) than you will about the Falcons...but don't worry...the way you guys are playing, the networks will eventually have to stand up and take notice...just give it time, it will happen....

We might not get respect till we beat Baltimore. Its all good tho. These sports journalists arent going to dictate how far we go. Lets just watch the band wagoners jump on and enjoy the ride

Edited by bigjmw84

Steelers, Jets, and Ravens are 3 very good football teams and the Steelers and Ravens have been good for awhile. The Jets are in New York and will always get attention.

I've been very surprised this week as to how much love the Falcons are getting. People are really starting to take notice, and when we beat the Eagles this week more of them might actually start watching our whole game. I really don't think most of them watch that much of our games, but they will soon and then we will be getting more love than we have had in a long time.

Am i the only one who doesnt care ? .....helll, it has always been this way ...why do we need a farking talking head to validate our existence ? ...most of them don't even know our players actual names ..... :mellow:

sounds like you care since you started this thread,but its all good because of all the reasons mentioned...we have been bad for soooo long,its gonna take more than a 4-1 record from a young team for the mainstream to get hyped about us...once we get consistently good,we will get our due...patience yougn freebird...patience :D

I think the main reason is because a lot of people are writing that we could easily be 1-4 instead of 4-1, because of all the "flukes" that have gone our way. If we were 5-0, or if we had won all of those games in the same manner as the Arizona game, I think people would be putting us up at number 1.

Also, the Jets are "the team" this year, have you not noticed all of the increased publicity on that team this offseason? I mean they did pick-up a lot of big names, but it's kinda' like they were crowned the Champs since the begginning of the season.

Watching the falcons play is like watching a Floyd Mayweather fight. Put up enough points to get a lead and then we play keep away till the clock hits 0 and take the W.

T.o.P offenses are effective but boring as **** I'm sure most can agree on that. The ravens and steelers ran a ball control style at one point as well but the difference between them and us is that there defenses were raw and exciting to watch. Ray Lewis and crew were knocking dudes the **** out and taking picks back for 6 and the same with the Steelers.

We have been causing turnovers and playing great team defense but excluding Beirmans crazy pick I haven't seen knockout blows on defense.

That's just my opinion though. We may be top 10 in offense and defense but really does it look like that from watching the games?

Edited by Atl/0

I think the main reason is because a lot of people are writing that we could easily be 1-4 instead of 4-1, because of all the "flukes" that have gone our way. If we were 5-0, or if we had won all of those games in the same manner as the Arizona game, I think people would be putting us up at number 1.

Also, the Jets are "the team" this year, have you not noticed all of the increased publicity on that team this offseason? I mean they did pick-up a lot of big names, but it's kinda' like they were crowned the Champs since the begginning of the season.

Name recognition, style of play, highlight plays, how you win games. All those factor into how teams are looked at.

Watching the falcons play is like watching a Floyd Mayweather fight. Put up enough points to get a lead and then we play keep away till the clock hits 0 and take the W.

T.o.P offenses are effective but boring as **** I'm sure most can agree on that. The ravens and steelers ran a ball control style at one point as well but the difference between them and us is that there defenses were raw and exciting to watch. Ray Lewis and crew were knocking dudes the **** out and taking picks back for 6 and the same with the Steelers.

We have been causing turnovers and playing great team defense but excluding Beirmans crazy pick I haven't seen knockout blows on defense.

That's just my opinion though. We may be top 10 in offense and defense but really does it look like that from watching the games?

I have found every game to be exciting. I guess that's just me though.

Am i the only one who doesnt care ? .....helll, it has always been this way ...why do we need a farking talking head to validate our existence ? ...most of them don't even know our players actual names ..... :mellow:

Because I would like to be able to turn on the tv or radio and just for once have an NFL topic come up where the Falcons are the focal point. How many different ways can you say Mark Sanchez or Rex Ryan's name? How many different ways can you say Tom Brady and hair in the same sentence? How many different ways can you say Brett "attention wh.ore" Favre? Sorry it would be nice for once to hear something different!

From seeing the Cardinals and Saints games we looked pretty **** exciting on offense and defense. Sorry didn't get the pleasure of seeing the Niners or Browns games and won't get to see the Eagles game. I give up on the hope of getting to watch the Falcons play. I've seen the Saints so many times the last 2 years I know that mother ******* who dat chant in my ******* sleep! :angry:

I have found every game to be exciting. I guess that's just me though.

Nothing wrong with that. The Falcons-Saints game was by far the best game this year. Just saying our style of play is kinda meh thats why people don't talk about us much. Shoot the Chiefs only lost one game so far as well and they get more airtime than we do. Part of that is because of there big play capability. We bust plays like that more often then we'll get more screen time.

Because I would like to be able to turn on the tv or radio and just for once have an NFL topic come up where the Falcons are the focal point. How many different ways can you say Mark Sanchez or Rex Ryan's name? How many different ways can you say Tom Brady and hair in the same sentence? How many different ways can you say Brett "attention wh.ore" Favre? Sorry it would be nice for once to hear something different!

From seeing the Cardinals and Saints games we looked pretty **** exciting on offense and defense. Sorry didn't get the pleasure of seeing the Niners or Browns games and won't get to see the Eagles game. I give up on the hope of getting to watch the Falcons play. I've seen the Saints so many times the last 2 years I know that mother ******* who dat chant in my ******* sleep! :angry:

Yea I agree about both those games. Dude that sucks man :( . You better hit up a bar sunday bc i think its gonna be a good game :P

I know how you feel man, I have to work Saturday and Sunday but you can bet I'll be as close to a radio whenever possible during the game, as to the post, I think theyre always going to talk about the popular teams, even now the Cowboys have only won one game and headlines on every sports show is "whats wrong with the Cowboys?", and since everybody is on the Saints bandwagon theyre in it alot too, The Pats, and all the other North teams are always gonna be in it because that's where all the shows are based, in the North.