Measuring Dunta Robinson's impact

atljbo

Measuring Dunta Robinson's impact

By Pat Yasinskas

When the Atlanta Falcons signed cornerback Dunta Robinson to a six-year contract worth about $57 million during the offseason a lot of eyebrows around the league were raised.

The logic from a lot of people was that Robinson wasn’t worth huge money because he’s not a true shutdown corner. But the Falcons think a little differently than most teams. Let’s just say that Atlanta general manager Thomas Dimitroff and coach Mike Smith don’t really believe there is such a thing as a true shutdown corner and, after hearing their logic, I think they’ve got a valid point.

The reasons they signed Robinson went a lot deeper than just signing a good cornerback. Yes, they wanted a No. 1 cornerback and Robinson, at the very least, fits that profile. That’s allowed guys like Brent Grimes and Christopher Owens to be second or third corners, which is what they are. But reflecting even deeper on what Dimitroff and Smith have said about the signing of Robinson, a big part of their logic was that his presence would make the entire defense better.

The Falcons took a lot of criticism for not really doing anything dramatic to improve their pass rush. But they believed guys like John Abraham and Kroy Biermann were close to getting a lot more sacks last year and better coverage in the secondary would allow them to be more productive. The results have been there as Atlanta suddenly has developed a solid pass rush.

Robinson has yet to produce his first interception, but let’s not go saying the Falcons overpaid for him or that he’s a bust. That’s far from the truth. Thanks to ESPN Stats & Information, we’ve got some very concrete and very positive evidence about how much impact Robinson has had on Atlanta’s defense.

The Falcons lead the league in interceptions with 10. They also lead the league in interceptions on the left side of the field with six. That’s as many as the Falcons had on that side of the field all last season.

In fact, Atlanta’s pass defense on the left side of the field has improved dramatically since last year. In 2009, opponents averaged 7.8 yards per attempt on pass plays to the left side of the field and opposing quarterbacks compiled an 85.8 passer rating. This season, the Falcons are allowing only 6.2 yards per attempt on passes to the left side and opposing quarterbacks have a 58.8 passer rating.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact, Atlanta’s pass defense on the left side of the field has improved dramatically since last year. In 2009, opponents averaged 7.8 yards per attempt on pass plays to the left side of the field and opposing quarterbacks compiled an 85.8 passer rating. This season, the Falcons are allowing only 6.2 yards per attempt on passes to the left side and opposing quarterbacks have a 58.8 passer rating.

I was just about to post this, and I have highlighted my favorite part. Good stuff JBO.

yea... man.. I was glad this was posted... Some fans just dont realize whats going on... Dunta has had an HUGE impact on our team... I want 4+ints from the guy also but realise this... Our Defensive Scheme is running the way it is because of Dunta and the trust the players and Coaches have in him.

Nice evaluation.

Please forward this article to Mr. Crankdatfalcon.

Or, better yet, tatoo it on his __________.

:blink:

LMAO!!!!!

ok so now that espn has made a article about it, now i want to see d-rob go out and live up to his so called "impact" of this team..Sure the left side of the fields completion percentage is low, but really look at the QB's, dixon, anderson, alex smith, and seneca wallace/jake delhommee..With the exception of drew brees, all the QB's and recievers that we played suck. this week and next week will be a good test to see if d-rob is worth all this praise..

LMAO!!!!!

ok so now that espn has made a article about it, now i want to see d-rob go out and live up to his so called "impact" of this team..Sure the left side of the fields completion percentage is low, but really look at the QB's, dixon, anderson, alex smith, and seneca wallace/jake delhommee..With the exception of drew brees, all the QB's and recievers that we played suck. this week and next week will be a good test to see if d-rob is worth all this praise..

There is none so blind as he who will not see.

great thread, but I still think Grimes is proving to be the better back. Dunta nearly has been burned for touchdowns 2-3 times, but drops were on his side.

Grimes has been our true #1 corner, seems like QB's would rather target Dunta.

wow...lets see how many times you will get negged for telling the truth..ill start you off with a +1...

Why doesn't it surprise me all the Grimes nut-huggers come in and hype him up.

It isn't a competition, just accept the fact they're both good, and both doing their job.

In a game of inches, I don't care if D.Rob has 'nearly' been burned for touchdowns. The simple fact is, according to the scoreboards, he hasn't. Winning the games is what matters, you don't get anything for nearly winning them.

exactly..the 2 new players who have actually made impact plays..

Agenda poster confirmed. Dude we have had dozens and dozens of hate agenda posters over the years. They all end up banned or lock in their basement because they went freaking nuts here posting agenda thread after agenda thread. Do you REALLY want to go down that route and end up just another loony agenda poster with a grudge against a Falcons player? It NEVER ends well for those types.

Hard to be the number one corner covering the number two receiver?

?

You dont call Crabtree 49ers #1 WR ?...You dont call Hines Ward the steelers #1 WR ? .... You dont call Mohamed Massaquoi the browns #1 WR ? ...Dude lead the Browns in receiving yards last year...

I'm Happy with how our CB play.... I feel like we have 3 really good CB's playing in good spots for them.

We are not asking him to shadow guys... I think part of the reason is that you kind of give away your coverage... When your #1 CB dont follow the guy... The D is zoning.

Hard to be the number one corner covering the number two receiver?

This is funny right here. You guys whine that he was beat by MoMass, Hines Ward, Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Crabtree, etc. But then you say he's not a #1 corner because he's covering team's #2 WR's. You can't even get your own bashing straight. Its either one or the other. He can't get beat by #1's while he's covering #2's. Pick one and try to back it up with facts. Claiming both proves you have no idea what you are talking about.