Singletary on not shaking hands after the game "I chose not to for a number of reasons

On Sunday, the 49ers built a 14-0 lead over the Falcons. Eventually, the Falcons erased the deficit and won the game.

After the game, 49ers coach Mike Singletary skipped the traditional handshake with the other coach.

On Wednesday, he admitted that he had dissed Smith. "That was poor sportsmanship on my behalf," Singletary said, according to David White of the San Francisco Chronicle.

But Singletary didn't apologize for the situation, and he hasn't contacted Smith to discuss it.

"I don't know if any of you guys ever get ticked," Singletary said. "I'd be the first to tell my kid that was wrong. I should have went over and shook his hand. I chose not to for a number of reasons."

So he was wrong to do it, but he's not apologizing for it?

"I was disappointed," Singletary said, "and that was a very honest feeling after the game."

We're not sure what to make of this. On one hand, we respect the honesty. On the other hand, we're not sure that being honest but not truly contrite is the right approach. Though it's better than being dishonest and not truly contrite, Singletary seems to be saying that, under the same circumstances, he'd do it again.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/07/singletary-admits-he-didnt-shake-mike-smiths-hand/

----

Wonder what those reasons were?

he's going down in shambles in my eyes. i kinda wish he would give it all up or just take a lesser role with a team and stay out of the camera/behind the scenes.

it would be nice if he was just a lb coach again and that was it. singletary the player was awesome but this coaching thing just isn't for him.

it's getting to the point for me if you say his name i think of the coach first and the player second. if he keeps going that way he will diminish what he did on the field in a lot of peoples eyes and that would be a shame.

Guest mashburn

he's going down in shambles in my eyes. i kinda wish he would give it all up or just take a lesser role with a team and stay out of the camera/behind the scenes.

it would be nice if he was just a lb coach again and that was it. singletary the player was awesome but this coaching thing just isn't for him.

it's getting to the point for me if you say his name i think of the coach first and the player second. if he keeps going that way he will diminish what he did on the field in a lot of peoples eyes and that would be a shame.

+1. that is exactlly what I am feeling. and now I went on to think that the 49ers got rid of the wrong person early last week. they shoould have got rid of singletary (the samuri).

but its not just this game or what how he acts towards other coaches, it is also how he treats his team and his fans. watch a lot of the games last year how singletary got all out rude on his D, but why didn't he yell so much at his O.

then singletary with his fans is a shocker. I haven't heard of him ever swallowing his pride just to get the fans on his side. if he is gong to act like this, and make comments to the press about mike smith; then we all know he doesn't care about his fans or reputation.

I feel sorry for the niners fans. not only a below average team, not only did they loose every game so far, but they got a horrible coach. and coach's can change all of that. so they need a new coach to bring the team to wins.

cause singletary cares more of showing his butt then he does for winning a game.

but its not just this game or what how he acts towards other coaches, it is also how he treats his team and his fans. watch a lot of the games last year how singletary got all out rude on his D, but why didn't he yell so much at his O.

He gets on his O. Dude about made Vernon Davis cry on the sideline a couple of years ago.

Regarding the number of reasons you chose to be a poor sport. What is this a soap opera or people magazine? Oh Mikey, please tell us your reasons!! Are U kidding me? What are you trying to do here Mike, get in touch w/ your feminine side? It took smitty 10 seconds to get over Singletary being on the rag, then he started thinking about beating the browns. Man up coach singletary. As gut wrenching a loss as this one must have been, he really should have thought about the consequences and how people will view his character moving forward. A number of reasons, geeeez. Not one of those reasons will be good enough but I will reamain hopeful that he finds a way to congratulate Smitty.

Funny thing is Singletary and Smith both participated in that round table discussion about Ray Lewis for NFL films recently, it's not like he dissed some guy he's never met or something. They both coached the LBers for Baltimore, they sat at a table and discussed it THIS off-season.

It just makes Singletary look really bad. I'm sure Mike Smith could care less, he got his win and is on to Cleveland. Singletary's team reflects him; undisciplined. Had they been, they would have won that game after Clements knelled the ball at the 20 yard line.

and i remember when the board was drooling for this tool.

I never was lol. I don't typically drool for any coach or player. Especially coaches. I don't feel I know enough about them or the game to make an accurate prediction of how they will do in the NFL.

Players, on the other hand, are easier as they have stats.

THE NINERS ARE NOT A BAD TEAM. 0-4 IS NOT

REFLECTIVE OF THEIR PLAY. THEY COULD EASILY BE 4-0,

BUT SINGLETARY IS IN THEIR WAY. IF MIKE WOULD

LIGHTEN UP ON THESE GUYS, THEY COULD GO PLACES.

THEY'RE 0-4, WHY CAN'T MIKE SEE THAT THE IRON

HAND APPROACH AIN'T CUTTING IT.

I can think of a few possible reasons...

1.This game was to be payback for the worst drubbing in Candlestick history last year.Didn't happen.

2.For the second year in a row,his team had a pick stripped by White.And recovered by Dahl.This time it cost him a game.

3.He sees Atlanta as dirty players because the OL plays to the whistle.Dahl is to Singletary as Khan is to Kirk.

4.Atlanta didn't hire him.Thank God.

5.He sees in Atlanta the team he wants his Niners to become.Smart hard-working lunch pail types of high character who never give up and play to the end.

6.Sour grapes.

Bottom line-He often lets his emotions get the better of him.Not a good thing in a Head Coach.

Wonder what those reasons were?

Mike "blow hard" Smith is not liked or respected around the league. His blow hard antics on the sideline have become a source of contention, the guy simply acts like a dingleberry all the time and other respectable HC's don't like it.

I don't blame Mike Singeltary at all and would have done the same thing

I too used to respect Mike Singletary for his intensity, drive, leadership, and overall play; he was a formidable :angry: MLB.

I too used to believe he would make a good Coach; oh my, how he has proven that wrong.

I do still believe the 49ers have a good chance of winning the NFC West this season; I wouldn't mind them doing so actually... perhaps then we could get a "rematch" in playoffs B) [i bet the entire Falcons organization would "like me some of that" as well at this point! ;) ]

With the "Handshake Dis'" saga, what little respect I had remaining for Mike S. has evaporated totally. He has taken that old level of respect and not only erased it... he has reversed it in full measure! What a whiny little brat... I can only imagine just HOW PROUD his parents must be of their son.