Let's be real about us vs. Delhomme.

I cannot recall a game that we have ever dominated Jake Delhomme. In Carolina he had a fantastic running game and an outstanding wide receiver to help his cause and the same thing could be said with his cast in Cleveland. Peyton Hillis is running like a monster, and the speed of Jerome Harrison could strike at any time.

And our special teams coverage has been completely ridiculous. Josh Cribbs will torch us if we give him the slightest crease in our coverage.

If any game can be called a trap game, I think it will be this one.

I'm not completely scared of their defense. It will be the 4th 3-4 defense we have seen this year. I expect familiarity to start setting in, but we do have a high tendency of playing down to opponents we're supposed to demolish. Cleveland has looked okay this year, but the fact of the matter is that we ARE the better team. Will that show is the only question.

It's going to be a tough one. As much as I'd like to see us blast the Browns, I expect us to have to grit this one out.

Trap Game

Trap Game

Trap Game

Trap Game

Trap Game

Trap Game

Trap Game

Trap Game

There. I have used up our quota on this cliche.

Delhomo had the benefit of a real running game in Carolina. This opens up the pass big time. I remember more than one game where we had him throwing his helmet and a fit going back to the sidelines.

You just have to hit him a couple of times, and he gets all gun shy. He is coming off a high ankle sprain. I think he lasts almost to halftime.

Yes, he has had our number quite a few times. I would rather see Wallace than Delhomme at this point.

But hey, things change. He may just suck it up and throw 4 picks. You just never know what Jake Delhomme you are going to get.

The thing with Wallace is that he's a veteran, mobile quarterback. Granted it was the first game of the season, we played horribly against Dennis Dixon who had only had 1 previous start.

Either quarterback would provide a challenge for us, I believe.

He has no Steve Smith to throw to...and Cribbs is far more dangeroud returning the football than he is in the offense, although he has a spark or two.

I just dont want an overzealous DeCoud or Moore to let big ol' Ben Watson fly past them in the seam...the dude still runs like a WR.

And yes, they should have a good running game...our DL better bring their lunch pails...Harrison/Hillis can be a formidable combo, that and Vickers is a good FB.

Things to be exploited:

They have little impact from their WR corp.

They have a ton of inexperience in their defensive backfield.

Make they Tony/Roddy.

Jake Delhomme limited in Browns practice, making progress

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 7, 2010 11:32 AM ET Browns quarterback Jake Delhomme still hasn't played since Week One, and his ankle injury limited him in Wednesday's practice. But Browns coach Eric Mangini says Delhomme is making progress.

Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Mangini said Delhomme will be able to do more in practice today than he did yesterday, and that Delhomme felt good this morning.

But Mangini still says he's playing it by ear this week in determining whether Delhomme can go on Sunday against the Falcons.

It's also worth asking whether the Browns should even want Delhomme to be ready to go Sunday against the Falcons. Seneca Wallace played fairly well last Sunday against the Bengals as Cleveland notched its first win of the season.

Jake Delhomme limited in Browns practice, making progress

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 7, 2010 11:32 AM ET Browns quarterback Jake Delhomme still hasn't played since Week One, and his ankle injury limited him in Wednesday's practice. But Browns coach Eric Mangini says Delhomme is making progress.

Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Mangini said Delhomme will be able to do more in practice today than he did yesterday, and that Delhomme felt good this morning.

But Mangini still says he's playing it by ear this week in determining whether Delhomme can go on Sunday against the Falcons.

It's also worth asking whether the Browns should even want Delhomme to be ready to go Sunday against the Falcons. Seneca Wallace played fairly well last Sunday against the Bengals as Cleveland notched its first win of the season.

That's what I'm saying too. Maybe it's just because Seneca knows the Mike Holmgren way a little better. We have to come prepared for this one. We're going into very hostile territory.

I don't think the Browns have enough firepower to score points. They are coming off of an emotionally draining game in beating the cross town rivals. I think we take away options 1&2 in the receiving game leaving only Watson and the RBs. I hope to see a number of blitzes all day to keep the pressure on and make them play flawless football. Our offense should be fine with Jenkins back. Roddy should have another career day and Tony G is simply unguardable.

27-10. I give Hillis a TD but nothing more. Maybe a freak ST play will help them like the Saints and 49ers.

The thing with Wallace is that he's a veteran, mobile quarterback. Granted it was the first game of the season, we played horribly against Dennis Dixon who had only had 1 previous start.

Either quarterback would provide a challenge for us, I believe.

I agree. I am not saying it won't be a challenge with Wallace in there.

This whole game overall is going to be a challenge. It's going to get nasty in the dog pound on Sunday.

He has no Steve Smith to throw to...and Cribbs is far more dangeroud returning the football than he is in the offense, although he has a spark or two.

I just dont want an overzealous DeCoud or Moore to let big ol' Ben Watson fly past them in the seam...the dude still runs like a WR.

And yes, they should have a good running game...our DL better bring their lunch pails...Harrison/Hillis can be a formidable combo, that and Vickers is a good FB.

Things to be exploited:

Make they Tony/Roddy.

This is the point I would make as well. Where Delhomme has always played us tough, it's because the team and coaches around him were also HIGHLY motivated to beat us as were were divisional foes. This doesn't make a difference from the standpoint of how much film is out there on us, but more from a standpoint of familiarity in coaching/playing against us. (heck...look at how our backups played against the aints last year) So while Delhomme has a decent record against us, what we should be more concerned with is the fact that the last two meetings between these teams have resulted in losses by the "better" team, regardless of who was playing QB.

Things to be exploited:

Make they Tony/Roddy.

Their run game scares me. We've played the run extremely well this year minus Mendenhall's 50yd and Arrington's 80yd carries. This run game is completely different. Hillis is relentless and powerful while Harrison is powerful and fast. Vickers leading the charge is a concern too. Their run game is smashmouth.

They're coming off a win which gives them a sense of hope and belief in what they're doing. They're gonna come out ready to play, and offensively we usually get off to slow starts.

As for Delhomme, this defense flies around a bit differently than years past. In that regard I can see him struggling, but he's got guys around him in that offense that are very explosive.

I don't think the Browns have enough firepower to score points. They are coming off of an emotionally draining game in beating the cross town rivals. I think we take away options 1&2 in the receiving game leaving only Watson and the RBs. I hope to see a number of blitzes all day to keep the pressure on and make them play flawless football. Our offense should be fine with Jenkins back. Roddy should have another career day and Tony G is simply unguardable.

27-10. I give Hillis a TD but nothing more. Maybe a freak ST play will help them like the Saints and 49ers.

Don't underestimate the Browns' offense. Yes, they may not have a lot of weapons, but they put up 17 points on an excellent Ravens defense and 23 points on a pretty darned good Bengals defense.

Playing on the road, this could be a tough test for us. Yes, we should be able to exploit them in the passing game, but you never know what will happen.

I'd expect a victory more along the lines of 20 - 16.

After San Fran almost game me a heart attack in a game that I was positive we'd win decisively, I'm not underestimating the Browns. Josh Cribbs scares the bejeezus outta me. I can't think there is much worse than losing to the Browns. I'm not looking past them, I certainly don't expect Smitty to.

Especially considering the punt coverage unit...or punt team as a whole (outside of Koenen)We've got a couple blocked and returned on us pretty severely this season and it all turned into points.