For those who think they know Mularkey

KingJBaby

Mark Bradley blog

Great read!

Mike Mularkey is getting the big heat from a certain segment of Falcons fans. They say he runs the ball up the middle on first down every time. They say he never lets Matt Ryan throw it deep. They say his conservative coordination will keep this team from true greatness.

I say this: Mike Mularkey is calling the game pretty much the way Mike Smith wants it called. And Mike Smith is the boss.

I went back and checked: In yesterday’s game, the Falcons ran the ball 15 times and attempted to pass 15 times on first down until their final possession started with 1:22 remaining, at which point they were obviously in passing mode. That’s not quite “running up the middle every time.” That is, on the contrary, a pretty fair balance. And let’s also note this:

Mike Smith, the boss, is a defensive coordinator by trade. When he and Mularkey consult, isn’t it safe to assume that the boss would say to his deputy, “As a defensive coordinator, this would give me the most trouble?” And isn’t it safe to assume that the thing that most troubles every defensive coordinator is an offense for which there’s no real pattern? (An offense in balance, in other words?)

The Falcons ran the ball 29 times against the 49ers. Of those 29, three were Ryan scrambles, meaning called passes. Three more were sacks. Of their 75 offensive snaps, 49 were designed as pass plays. Yes, the Falcons were behind for most of the game, which means they were throwing more. But I fail to see how a coordinator who orders a pass 65.3 percent of the time in a game that ends 16-14 can be labeled a stick-in-the-mud.

Do the Falcons want to run the ball? Yes. Is Mularkey a fan of power running? Yes again. But let’s not confuse the Falcons with Georgia Tech. Let’s also note that the Niners were blitzing like mad, and one way to slow the blitz is to run at it. (Another way is to throw a screen pass, but it’s pretty clear Mularkey isn’t a fan of those. Can’t have everything, I guess.)

Let’s note that the Falcons are sixth in the NFL in total offense and first in time of possession. Let’s also note that this team is 3-1 this season and 23-14 in Mularkey’s time as coordinator. It might not be the most stylish football you’ve ever seen, but it’s working. And I would think that if fans of any team would be happy to see a return to basics, it would be those who suffered through the four-wideout reign of Jerry Glanville and June Jones.

Opinions?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark Bradley blog

Great read!

Mike Mularkey is getting the big heat from a certain segment of Falcons fans. They say he runs the ball up the middle on first down every time. They say he never lets Matt Ryan throw it deep. They say his conservative coordination will keep this team from true greatness.

I say this: Mike Mularkey is calling the game pretty much the way Mike Smith wants it called. And Mike Smith is the boss.

I went back and checked: In yesterday’s game, the Falcons ran the ball 15 times and attempted to pass 15 times on first down until their final possession started with 1:22 remaining, at which point they were obviously in passing mode. That’s not quite “running up the middle every time.” That is, on the contrary, a pretty fair balance. And let’s also note this:

Mike Smith, the boss, is a defensive coordinator by trade. When he and Mularkey consult, isn’t it safe to assume that the boss would say to his deputy, “As a defensive coordinator, this would give me the most trouble?” And isn’t it safe to assume that the thing that most troubles every defensive coordinator is an offense for which there’s no real pattern? (An offense in balance, in other words?)

The Falcons ran the ball 29 times against the 49ers. Of those 29, three were Ryan scrambles, meaning called passes. Three more were sacks. Of their 75 offensive snaps, 49 were designed as pass plays. Yes, the Falcons were behind for most of the game, which means they were throwing more. But I fail to see how a coordinator who orders a pass 65.3 percent of the time in a game that ends 16-14 can be labeled a stick-in-the-mud.

Do the Falcons want to run the ball? Yes. Is Mularkey a fan of power running? Yes again. But let’s not confuse the Falcons with Georgia Tech. Let’s also note that the Niners were blitzing like mad, and one way to slow the blitz is to run at it. (Another way is to throw a screen pass, but it’s pretty clear Mularkey isn’t a fan of those. Can’t have everything, I guess.)

Let’s note that the Falcons are sixth in the NFL in total offense and first in time of possession. Let’s also note that this team is 3-1 this season and 23-14 in Mularkey’s time as coordinator. It might not be the most stylish football you’ve ever seen, but it’s working. And I would think that if fans of any team would be happy to see a return to basics, it would be those who suffered through the four-wideout reign of Jerry Glanville and June Jones.

Opinions?

MM is still an idiot....

i have no problem having a balanced attack. the problem i have is the way we go about it. there is no creativity in the plays. its the same stuff over and over. and when it doesnt work, we use it some more. and just because we set up the pass 65% the last game, doesnt mean we are going deep. for the most part, when we pass its all curl routes, comebacks and such. which could explain why we have the ball so much. we only get small junks of yards here and there and facing 3rd down WAY too many times. eventually, we arent going to convert those. sure right now, it has lead us to a 3-1 record. but if our offense stays the way it is, it will be very hard to get to the superbowl and win it

Did you even read the article? You do realize by calling MM an idiot you are saying the same of Smitty? SMH. We'll win the Super Bowl with MM (mark my words).

Not really calling Smitty an idiot. I love smitty. MM has got to make some changes in the offense if we wanna make it to the big dance.

Edited by iDiRTYBiRD33

i have no problem having a balanced attack. the problem i have is the way we go about it. there is no creativity in the plays. its the same stuff over and over. and when it doesnt work, we use it some more. and just because we set up the pass 65% the last game, doesnt mean we are going deep. for the most part, when we pass its all curl routes, comebacks and such. which could explain why we have the ball so much. we only get small junks of yards here and there and facing 3rd down WAY too many times. eventually, we arent going to convert those. sure right now, it has lead us to a 3-1 record. but if our offense stays the way it is, it will be very hard to get to the superbowl and win it

I don't get fans sometimes. Everybody wants the deep ball and explosive play-calling. Why is the deep ball so important to you guys? You hit the nail on the head in regards to ball control offense. That is what we are...a ball control offense. We want to maintain the ball as much as possible. That is our MO. That was Tom Brady's MO the first year they won the Super Bowl. The blueprint is in place. We just have to follow it. The curl routes and out routes are ball control passes that are hard to defend. It's 5 step drop...get rid of the ball...the receiver needs to get YAC. When we get behind like we did versus San Fran, we have to throw it much more. At this point in his career Matt is gonna make mistakes when the burden is on his arm alone to pull out a comeback. This was the case at BC as it is now.

Deep passing requires outstanding linemen who pass block. We don't have that. All of you who want the greatest show on turf must didn't watch last night game between the Bears and Giants. The G-men sacked Cutler 9 times (before the half)!!!! 9 TIMES!!!! He got a concussion as well. Is that what you guys want?

yep. theres a reason why he hasnt had a stable job for a long period of time

Again, you didn't read the article. Smitty wants the offense ran the way it is being run. Remember the NFL replay game against the Saints? Smitty was speaking to MM once Hartley missed the FG. He told MM to do nothing else but run the ball. That right there goes to show you Smitty is the boss. He tells MM what he wants....MM does it. Now, MM does have a say in the type of run or pass but the buck stops with Smitty. So if you are calling MM an idiot you are in fact displacing the blame.

im just not a fan of running a sweep with michael turner. especially in the redzone

So one play makes one an idiot? What happens if Turner runs it in uncontested?

Again, you didn't read the article. Smitty wants the offense ran the way it is being run. Remember the NFL replay game against the Saints? Smitty was speaking to MM once Hartley missed the FG. He told MM to do nothing else but run the ball. That right there goes to show you Smitty is the boss. He tells MM what he wants....MM does it. Now, MM does have a say in the type of run or pass but the buck stops with Smitty. So if you are calling MM an idiot you are in fact displacing the blame.

So one play makes one an idiot? What happens if Turner runs it in uncontested?

he ran it 3 times in the redzone. so either he's an idiot or crazy.

i honestly couldn't care less about about any write up on the guy. he's a horrible OC. everytime the offense is moving rapidly in big chunks, he calls some bs that causes us to lose yards like a toss or end around, anything of that nature, and the offense ends up in 2nd and 3rd and long and punts. never fails

MM is still an idiot....

I think his plans are boring and predictable. Sunday, I watched the 49er secondary to see how they played us and almost every play they were all tight on our line. Because we rarely throw over the middle or 20+ yards, we have become predictable. I got so sick of seeing the dink and dunk---oh sure it worked and we won---I get it, ball control through the run game and 6 yards pass to Tony G.

Matt never pump fakes, he looks left only or right only when the play starts. I honestly think he is very talented but even I was looking for his receiver by watching his head Sunday.

Hey I'm grateful we are 3-1 but its like watching paint dry at times.

Edited by Nono

he ran it 3 times in the redzone. so either he's an idiot or crazy.

Who's to say Matt didn't change the play. I'm not all on MM sack or anything...but we are the 6th best offense in football and are currently the #1 seed in the NFC! What more do you want?

i honestly couldn't care less about about any write up on the guy. he's a horrible OC. everytime the offense is moving rapidly in big chunks, he calls some bs that causes us to lose yards like a toss or end around, anything of that nature, and the offense ends up in 2nd and 3rd and long and punts. never fails

He's a gambler. When those plays work they're great...when they don't...we punt. I never quite understood why people consider him conservative. Those trick plays have to be put in the game plan based off of the other team has shown through game film or in the actual game. Just saying...these things need perspective beyond what we are seeing on TV or at the game. He has the "God view" up there in the booth so maybe he saw something and tried to exploit it.

I think his plans are boring and predictable. Sunday, I watched the 49er secondary to see how they played us and almost every play they were all tight on our line. Because we rarely throw over the middle or 20+ yards, we have become predictable. I got so sick of seeing the dink and dunk---oh sure it worked and we won---I get it, ball control through the run game and 6 yards pass to Tony G.

Matt never pump fakes, he looks left only or right only when the play starts. I honestly think he is very talented but even I was looking for his receiver by watching his head Sunday.

Exactly how I feel...he is SOOOOOO predictable. Something has got to change...and fast.

Who's to say Matt didn't change the play. I'm not all on MM sack or anything...but we are the 6th best offense in football and are currently the #1 seed in the NFC! What more do you want?

He's a gambler. When those plays work they're great...when they don't...we punt. I never quite understood why people consider him conservative. Those trick plays have to be put in the game plan based off of the other team has shown through game film or in the actual game. Just saying...these things need perspective beyond what we are seeing on TV or at the game. He has the "God view" up there in the booth so maybe he saw something and tried to exploit it.

i want us not to lose yards on silly calls... one sweep killed a drive...

Some of you must have loved the 'Run and Shoot' offense. It was innovative, electric and just plain ole FUN to watch. We didn't win much but at least our offense wasn't generic.

thats a little dramatic---all I'm saying is the dam ball across the middle for 20+ yards two or three times a game

What's wrong with predictably running a play they can't stop 50% of the time. That's what Lombardi used to do. Everybody and their momma knew the power sweep was coming but teams couldn't stop it. Now, that's one play but as an offense we take the same approach. They know what we are gonna do. In fact, with any decent film room studying we know what they are gonna do. It's all about execution. So yeah...predictably punching teams in the mouth...my kinda football!

if i was a defense and I saw 3 te's and 1 wideout that happens to be brian finneran I would crash run too. predictable as heck

Until you bite too hard like San Fran did last year....play action up top to Roddy...TD!!! Roddy had like 230 yards that game! Sometimes you show the formation just to see how they are gonna react so you can set them up. Doesn't that make sense?