Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dudouble

? about the punt that hit decoud .

I was watching the game replay and I noticed on the punt that hit decouds foot he was out of bounds then came back in and was the first to touch it . Wouldn't that make it a dead ball ? And a penalty. Or since no recovered it didn't matter ?

I did not see a replay showing DeCoud ran out of bounds prior to the punt hitting him and this is the first I have heard of it.

DeCoud was *trying* to get out of bounds when the punt hit his leg, but the replay showed his foot had not touched the sideline when the ball hit him.

Are you saying DeCoud ran out of bounds before the ball came down while blocking the gunner or something?

I did not see a replay showing DeCoud ran out of bounds prior to the punt hitting him and this is the first I have heard of it.

DeCoud was *trying* to get out of bounds when the punt hit his leg, but the replay showed his foot had not touched the sideline when the ball hit him.

Are you saying DeCoud ran out of bounds before the ball came down while blocking the gunner or something?

Yes. He was out of bounds then came back in . Then it hit his foot when he was trying to get back out of bounds . Not sure if he was blocked out by the gunner or ran out on his own . But he did go out of bounds while the ball was in the air

Yes. He was out of bounds then came back in . Then it hit his foot when he was trying to get back out of bounds . Not sure if he was blocked out by the gunner or ran out on his own . But he did go out of bounds while the ball was in the air

It wouldn't matter. The ball would still belong to the Saints.

I do question whether 'Kick Catch Interference' should have been called though.

I think that has to do with the "Player re-established himself in bounds" you hear on penalties sometimes where the gunner gets blocked out of bounds and runs down the sideline behind the bench and then jumps back in the field.

If DeCoud's foot had been on the ground out of bounds when the ball hit, it would be dead ball.

The kick catch thing flashed through my mind too, but I think Weems backed off trying to catch it.

Just a freaky play - but when the returner yells "Poison" you better get out of bounds (which DeCoud was trying to do) or know where the ball is and avoid it.

It wouldn't matter. The ball would still belong to the Saints.

I do question whether 'Kick Catch Interference' should have been called though.

This was explained during the game: when a player from the receiving team runs into the player who called for the fair catch, there is no 'catch interference'. Doesn't make any difference that said player might have been blocked into the intended receiver.

One of the best things a defender on the kicking team can do is to block a player on the receiving team into the punt returner. That whole play was a fluke when you think about all of the components that had to occur. That punt was shanked to a degree; had it just gone out of bounds, Atl would've got the ball near midfield.It hit Decoud on the heel. Had it hit the ground out of bounds, then hit him then no no harm. Then 2 alert players from NO were on the scene. If only 1, the best he could've done was flip the ball back in & possibly another Falcon could've recovered.

Ohh please, do we have to remember this??? Just kidding but wow was this a HUGE lucky a$$ break for the saints. Its amazing the lucky turns these guys get. But guess what their luck is running out and everyone knows it after their last 3 games. They are lucky to be 2-1. We were up by 3 and getting the ball back in nice field position and momentum was ours to score again. It was a huge turn of events that just PISSED ME OFF TO NO END!!! Ok I feel better now...rolleyes.gif

Im pretty sure that if an offensive player runs out of bounds he cannot come back onto the field of play. The two things I don't know and really dont want to look up, although I'm sure you can find it on the NFL offical web-site under rules is: When is a punting team considered transitioned from offensive to defensive (punt or fielding of the punted ball) and is it a declinable penalty.

Moot, but interesting point.

Unlucky for decoud, but at the same time he could have located the ball, or instead of going forward at an angle out of bounds, just straight up get the **** out!

Idk if its just me but the past 2 seasons or so, I've noticed that we muff punts/touch the ball frequently.

I was watching the game replay and I noticed on the punt that hit decouds foot he was out of bounds then came back in and was the first to touch it . Wouldn't that make it a dead ball ? And a penalty. Or since no recovered it didn't matter ?

Maybe they didn't show all the break down on the replay like they did during the actual game. The ball clearly hits DeCoud's heel a fraction of a second before his left foot lands out of bounds. The ball was live. No catch interference because Moore was actually pushing/blocking the Saint player that may have contacted Weems. It looks as if Moore made most if not all of the contact on Weems.

There is neither a conspiracy nor favoritism on that particular play, the officials got it right. End of the day, we won. Guys just need to be more aware when a bad kick like that happens.

Im pretty sure that if an offensive player runs out of bounds he cannot come back onto the field of play. The two things I don't know and really dont want to look up, although I'm sure you can find it on the NFL offical web-site under rules is: When is a punting team considered transitioned from offensive to defensive (punt or fielding of the punted ball) and is it a declinable penalty.

Moot, but interesting point.

If a player goes out of bounds without being forced out, he cannot be the first person to touch the ball. The televised game did not show DeCoud going out of bounds. If he did, that call should be reversed, and the Falcons should be declared the winners!!!

Wait.....

:)

The biggest issue with the play that I had, was the Saint's Cover guy ran out of bounds at the 22 and didn't come back in until after the 50 yard line was crossed. The rule is you have to try to get back in bounds and can't just run down the sideline otherwise it is a penalty. They DIDN'T call it, he was the guy using the sideline as his personal highway to get down the field, he was the guy that blocked into the return guy and NO CALL WAS MADE FOR STAYING OUT OF BOUNDS!!!

As a side note, yes DeCoud was the first to touch the ball and he was the one who went out of bounds, so it should have been a dead ball foul(I think).

BUT the Refs should have called the guy for staying out of bounds, because he took 30 freakin yards to get back in, and that was the only reason he could get down there to cause the havoc was by breaking the rules!!!