Raye says he followed Singletary's wishes for 49ers' offense

falcon057

Raye says he followed Singletary's wishes for 49ers' offense

* NFL.com

* Published: Sept. 28, 2010 at 03:26 p.m.

>

Jimmy Raye said his Monday morning firing as the San Francisco 49ers' offensive coordinator came as a surprise.

"I think that's a bit of an understatement," Raye said Tuesday in a telephone interview with Comcast SportsNet Bay Area.

Raye, who was shown the door less than one day after Mike Singletary said the offensive coordinator would stay for the remainder of the season, added that he was doing what the coach asked.

"I was carrying out the head coach's wishes," Raye said. "I was doing what I was brought here to do under his philosophy he wanted installed. I tried as best I could to carry that out with the quarterbacking and the personnel that we had. I didn't come in and say, 'This is my offense, and I'm running this, and if you don't like it, you can get somebody else.' I was doing what was given me to do."

The 49ers have an 0-3 record, but their offense ranks 20th in the NFL overall and is 31st in scoring (12.7 points per game) and third-down efficiency (24 percent).

Raye said quarterback Alex Smith, frequently a lightning rod for the 49ers' offensive struggles, was following the plan he was given, too.

"I think he did well," Raye said. "It's a work in progress. There were signs ... it's like raising a child. There were signs of the things you taught and the maturity. And there were times when it was just OK. In the long run, it was at the point where the adjustments were not as difficult or the things you talked about weren't as difficult to correct. They were not as far-reaching as they were a year ago."

Raye also said the heightened expectations in San Francisco had a lot to do with his termination and that it seemed like a rash decision to fire him and promote quarterbacks coach Mike Johnson.

"I told the team when we cut to the 53-man roster ... that the expectations have gone up and it would not be business as usual," Raye said. "The scrutiny would be swift. So, I guess, when you go 0-3 and you start off with the expectations we had, with everybody saying we were going to be this dominant team in the NFC West, and we start off 0-3, lost a division game in Seattle, it didn't surprise me that something happened.

"I was still a little stunned and disappointed, but if we'd been 1-2 or 2-1 and even won the Monday night game, I think this conversation wouldn't be taking place. I think with the level of expectation and, three weeks into the season, the presumed failure that a young team is trying to germinate and find itself is a little, I think, a little rushed."

Singletary is a boob. All bark, no brain. What's funny is that we ended up BETTER OFF by hiring Petrino over him. How F-ed up is that?

You might be carrying it bit far there bud ;) Seriously, I think Sunday's game determines Singletary's future as HC of the Niners, loses big and look for him to be gone sooner rather than later.

You might be carrying it bit far there bud ;) Seriously, I think Sunday's game determines Singletary's future as HC of the Niners, loses big and look for him to be gone sooner rather than later.

Petrino's exit helped usher in the current regime. Trust me, had we hired Singletary, we'd have hung onto him for a few years and missed the boat on Smith and crew. All because he won a Super Bowl in the 80's and wears a cross around his neck. The man SUCKS as a coach. He has no idea how to run a team. He is easily the worst coach in the NFL. Even considering what happened during the Vick/Petrino saga, we'd be WAY worse off had we hired Singletary.

I bought into the Sing hype initially I thought he might turn them around out there. After we played them and he used a time out to "rally his troops" then in a press conference marched Bly out to apologize like a kid who broke the neighbor's window I saw him as a nut.

Dropping his pants and his handling of Vernon Davis wasn't enough? Watch an interview with him...he's borderline ********.

Dropping his pants and his handling of Vernon Davis wasn't enough? Watch an interview with him...he's borderline ********.

:lol: I never understood why there were so many on AFMB wanting him. He is one coach I can say that I never wanted for us. Didn't know he was a nutcase then but he didn't have the time or experience as a coordinator to even be thought about as a coach to begin with. Why is it that most of the good coaches were not standout players?

Watch this cross-eyed neanderthal. He is an idiot. Try to count the blinks!

Wow!! How does he get a HC'ing job in the NFL. This guy is completely brain dead. He is nothing but a rah rah coach, that lacks the IQ to get down to the x & o's of the game. It looks like Jimmy Raye fell on the sword for this moron. I have no doubt that he has lost his players. If we don't beat the 9ers, then we have some serious issues.

Petrino's exit helped usher in the current regime. Trust me, had we hired Singletary, we'd have hung onto him for a few years and missed the boat on Smith and crew. All because he won a Super Bowl in the 80's and wears a cross around his neck. The man SUCKS as a coach. He has no idea how to run a team. He is easily the worst coach in the NFL. Even considering what happened during the Vick/Petrino saga, we'd be WAY worse off had we hired Singletary.

Hey, I have not thought of that. Man, I enjoy these boards!

I strongly believe that if he loses this game, he's gone. You may recover your season at 0-2, you are NOT doing it at 0-4. I heard that only 12% of teams that go 0-2 make the playoffs, so they are in major trouble. I know Jeff Fisher was 0-5 at one point last year, but he's been with the Titans forever so he has a bit of a longer leash. Singletary doesn't. We're going to be playing a desperate team Sunday.

Watch this cross-eyed neanderthal. He is an idiot. Try to count the blinks!

Look you truly need to learn how to express your feeling and not hold back so much :o

But the truth is he would have held us back longer IMOP

If we get rolling on them this week, Monday could be a bad day for Mr MIKE

I strongly believe that if he loses this game, he's gone. You may recover your season at 0-2, you are NOT doing it at 0-4. I heard that only 12% of teams that go 0-2 make the playoffs, so they are in major trouble. I know Jeff Fisher was 0-5 at one point last year, but he's been with the Titans forever so he has a bit of a longer leash. Singletary doesn't. We're going to be playing a desperate team Sunday.

[/quote

this is what has me worried, we are definately playing a desperate team Sunday. I just hope we don't play them into some form!

To who asked about great players being coachs, I would say most great players were great because the things that made them great came naturally to them.

You put those same guys in a coach headset and they go nuts because their players may not do the things they think should be easy - just because it came easy to them.

Do you think Peyton Manning would be good as a QB coach or O coordinator? The guy would short circuit when his QB didn't do 10 hours of film study followed by 1000 reps of a 10 yard out throw every day.

My Uncle (by marriage sadly - no genetics here) played 13 years as WR in the NFL and then tried coaching WR 1 year with the Falcons. My uncle is smart and has incredible hands and was slow as molasses. He could not relate to the not-so-smart, brick handed receivers the Falcons had. When he tried to coach them about reading coverages etc. it frustrated him because being a smart player and able to catch always came easy to him. He never had to solve the problem of not being smart or developing better hands as a player and was not prepared to solve that problem as a coach. It would be like Deion trying to coach a slow CB how to play - he would have no idea because that was not how he played his game. My uncle decided coaching was not for him after that 1 year.

If this is true, then M. Singletary days in San Fran are numbered.

Yeah, either way I think they are numbered. I said yesterday that Singletary is just way too "reactive" to things around him. That personality served him well when he was a player, but he seems in over his head as a HC. Kind of like Jim Zorn, but for different reasons..

I get the feeling that one day soon (if he remains employed) Singletary is going to go Woody Hayes on an opposing player.

woody-hayes-punch.jpg

Almost did vs Dahl last year.Paranoid control freak.Needs to bring more to the table than smash themin the mouth.It's going to end badly for him.

14 minutes ago - Coach Mike Singletary didn’t anticipate a steep learning curve for new offensive coordinator Mike Johnson. “I wouldn’t say he’s learning on the fly,” he said. “He understands this offense. There are coordinators out there who’ve done it for 10, 15 years who aren’t very good.” 49ers RapidReports

up-date replacement

Jimmy Raye's offense is / was a joke. Nothing Singletary did would have improved or changed it. For a man of over 25 years of NFL experience in Raye to try and intimate that MIKE SINGLETARY had a hand in playcalling is dumb.

Singletary is good at one thing and thats motivation. His team seems to be tuning him out though, which is what happens to a tough coach when the losses pile up.

This upcoming game has almost 90% of it riding on their new OC ability to get results from his players. Did anyone know Michael Westbrook is a Niner? Raye could not, would not, or didn't know how to involve his playmakers, which is why he's unemployed.

We'll see a much different Niner team on offense, but the results will be much the same as last year.

Go Falcons