Jamie Dukes just spent 5 minutes trashing Ryan on NFL Network

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop it...

Dukes was not dissin' Ryan, he simply said why is Ryan mentioned as being elite or near elite when he, like Young, is a winning QB, but hasn't shown they can consistently win without the benefit of a prime time running game.

He went on to say, regardless of their teams defensive effort or running game, young guys like Aaron Rodgers or Philip Rivers are gonna put up big numbers. Neither Ryan or Young have done it consistently.

When asked who would you take to start a franchise he said he didn't know because Young and Ryan both bring something different to the table.

Young as a starter: 29-18 (62%)

Ryan as a starter: 22-11 (67%)

Young has the better defense, OL and plays with the best RB in football. Ryan has the better compliment of skill position players.

Uh - who exactly has called Ryan elite? I'd like to see that. I've heard it about Rodgers, but not Ryan. Heck - they are just barely calling Brees that finally. I don't care that Dukes has opinions - but he needs to do the research first - so he speaks honestly. Second - there was no reason he just "popped" Ryan's name out of thin air other than his agenda - which is to knock him at every chance he gets. He does do this - whether you want to admit it or not. I don't know why - but he does. It is so blatant and obvious - that they've even teased him about it on the show.

PS - if you saw the thread with my rant, you'd realize that Ryan - in his 2 short years in the NFL - has led this team to a win more than once without a rushing game balance. You'd also realize that stats are not the only thing to look at. If you're interested, here it is:

he was really fired up like he had some personal vendetta against Matt.

Dukes was a Falcon, but he is also a good friend of Mike Vick. This is really an instance of Duke being more loyal to Vick than to the Falcons. In Dukes' mind (as in most Vick fans) the Falcons did Vick wrong, and the Falcons are the bad guys in the entire affair.

Vick fans (as opposed to Falcons fans, and there is a difference) hated Ryan from the moment he was drafted, because it closed the door on ever bringing Vick back to the Falcons.

Let me get this straight. Every pundit, coach, and NFL know-it-all has said the best way to beat the Saints is to keep their offense off the field by eating up the play clock and sustaining drives. We do exactly that by an enormous margin in time of possession, execute the passing game when necessary to sustain drives, and the QB throws 2 touchdowns and has zero turnovers.

So now executing the correct strategy to win a game against a defending champion, division rival, on the road is a crutch that doesn't make our QB elite?

Now that's some brilliant NFL analysis.. :rolleyes:

Dukes was a Falcon, but he is also a good friend of Mike Vick. This is really an instance of Duke being more loyal to Vick than to the Falcons. In Dukes' mind (as in most Vick fans) the Falcons did Vick wrong, and the Falcons are the bad guys in the entire affair.

Vick fans (as opposed to Falcons fans, and there is a difference) hated Ryan from the moment he was drafted, because it closed the door on ever bringing Vick back to the Falcons.

Bingo!

What Dukes doesnt realize is that everyone on the show is not laughing with him, they're laughing at him.

He's proof that stupid can still get stupider every day.

yes you have to play in the NFL or be an expert like Mort to kno what ur really taking about.

WOW good try but that is not quite as stupid as you first one.

Guess we need to write to ESPN, CBS and FOX tell them they need to fire all of the Football commentators who have not played football cause they don't know what they are talking about. :wacko: :wacko:

Stop it...

Dukes was not dissin' Ryan, he simply said why is Ryan mentioned as being elite or near elite when he, like Young, is a winning QB, but hasn't shown they can consistently win without the benefit of a prime time running game.

He went on to say, regardless of their teams defensive effort or running game, young guys like Aaron Rodgers or Philip Rivers are gonna put up big numbers. Neither Ryan or Young have done it consistently.

When asked who would you take to start a franchise he said he didn't know because Young and Ryan both bring something different to the table.

Young as a starter: 29-18 (62%)

Ryan as a starter: 22-11 (67%)

Young has the better defense, OL and plays with the best RB in football. Ryan has the better compliment of skill position players.

Young has started 42 games in 4 years plus 3 games. His record as a starter is 28-14 (67%)

Uh - who exactly has called Ryan elite? I'd like to see that. I've heard it about Rodgers, but not Ryan. Heck - they are just barely calling Brees that finally. I don't care that Dukes has opinions - but he needs to do the research first - so he speaks honestly. Second - there was no reason he just "popped" Ryan's name out of thin air other than his agenda - which is to knock him at every chance he gets. He does do this - whether you want to admit it or not. I don't know why - but he does. It is so blatant and obvious - that they've even teased him about it on the show.

PS - if you saw the thread with my rant, you'd realize that Ryan - in his 2 short years in the NFL - has led this team to a win more than once without a rushing game balance. You'd also realize that stats are not the only thing to look at. If you're interested, here it is:

Rodgers is better than Ryan but he's not elite. Only someone foolish would call Rodgers elite. He just started winning of late. It's not like he does this a lot.

Manning

Brady

Brees

Those are the elite guys.

Just like ppl have to accept the fact that not everyone would be sold on Vick, ppl need to accept the fact that not everyone would be sold on Ryan. I defend Ryan daily but he does need to prove he's closer to Manning than Dilfer. He at this moment is a highly talented game manager. We need him to be a game changer at times. Not all the time, just sometimes. We do not need him to be Peyton to win a title. If he does what he did yesterday in critical games, we will be there in February.

Edited by #1 pick

All I can say is by the end of the second quarter, the Falcons had the ball for 22 minutes and change. The Saints had the ball for less than 8 minutes. Sure the score was tied, but, by controlling the clock via the running game it helped win the game. So what if Ryan doesn't throw for 375 to 400 yards per game. It's the W that counts. Yes, once there are 3 good receivers and a quality TE then Ryan will put up bigger passing numbers. But until then, the balanced running game is the ticket.

He obviously didn't watch the game. We really struggled running the ball early on. On our first TD drive, we had 5 carries for 16 yards. Ryan was 4/5 for 64 yards and the TD. On our second TD drive we rushed for 29 yards on 11 carries. Ryan was 5/6 for 38 yards include 2 3rd down conversions and 2 4th down conversions.

We converted 9 3rd downs all game. Ryan converted 8 of them. Turner 1. We also got one via a penalty against NO. We also only converted 2 4th downs, and those were both by Ryan.

Well, he didn't watch the game if he said the running game carried Ryan, he read the stat line. If you look at my post HEREyou will see that Ryan completed a boat load of 3rd and 4th downs in obvious passing situations.

I don't mind Dukes opinion. However, it is obviously just an opinion,not journalism, when he isn't aware of the facts. The Falcons rushed it hard on 1st and 2nd down, then looked to Ryan for the conversion time and time again.

Ryan isn't required to make a ton of throws. He's required to convert 3rd downs, call plays, and keep the defense honest. And until we aren't paying Turner a boatload of money that's how it will be. Every team in the league wants the luxury of having a dominant running game, many who do want the luxury of having a QB they can rely on.

The Falcons are one of the few teams that have both.

First, for anyone saying Ryan hasn't had to win without a running game, I give you the Chicago Bears game a couple of years ago. The Bears sold out to stop Turner, and we still beat them thanks to Matty Ice.

Secondly, for the Young vs. Ryan comparison. You can look at winning %, passer rating, or tenure in the league all you want. But when has Fisher allowed Young to call the plays at the line? How often has his team trusted him to do this? HeII, how many teams in the entire league give their QBs this much freedom (I can onbly think of one)? Simply put, Ryan's ability as a QB is FAR superior than Young. It's not just the stats, ya'll. It's how they play the game.

Rivers is 1-2 on the season and just lost a game after throwing 450+ yards.

We'll see how Rodgers does tonight with Ryan Grant.

I'd rather Ryan not "light it up" and still get the win, unlike Rivers who lights it up and loses.

Right....but Dukes point was that SD and GB wins based on their passing attack. When Ryan has to throw 40+ times, the Falcons are likely not in good shape.

He says why say Ryan is on the verge if being elite QB when the same questions exist about him as they do Young which is can they consistently win without their dominant run games?

First, for anyone saying Ryan hasn't had to win without a running game, I give you the Chicago Bears game a couple of years ago. The Bears sold out to stop Turner, and we still beat them thanks to Matty Ice.

Secondly, for the Young vs. Ryan comparison. You can look at winning %, passer rating, or tenure in the league all you want. But when has Fisher allowed Young to call the plays at the line? How often has his team trusted him to do this? HeII, how many teams in the entire league give their QBs this much freedom (I can onbly think of one)? Simply put, Ryan's ability as a QB is FAR superior than Young. It's not just the stats, ya'll. It's how they play the game.

Ryan is a superior passer, but they bring different skills to the table which enable them to lead their teams.

Young threw for almost 400 yds against Arizona last year. The key word from Dukes was consistently.

Exactly!

I sent him a message on twitter letting him know his Ryan hate was getting old, etc. His response was:

Just so we are clear. I like Matt. My job is to call it like it is. Right now Ryan needs the run game. Hopefully that will change

i sent him a message on twitter too, lol... he has no clue then i posted a vid of him when they were talking about who would you start a franchise with and he said ykw and everyone started laughing at him