The Saints will be running the ball

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 more times? You sure you want to have 10 at the higher part of your range? Maybe you need to do a little more research. 10 more running plays in either game this year would have them running more than passing. I was sure you said that you DO NOT expect them to run more than pass.

Maybe 5 more attempts which puts them very close to even. So did this thread accomplish what you wanted? All of his stat nonsense for possibly 5 more running plays?

5 more running plays could equate to one big one when we are not expecting it, so yes it did. their pass offense is ranked 12th. their run defense is ranked 31st. you have to run it to set up the pass or are you going to argue that too. in order to get their offense where it was last year, they can have the 2nd to worst running game in the league. so yes, i do believe they run the ball 5-10 times more.

That's exactly most teams do their homework on, it's not stats, it's game film. 100% agree with this post.

they watch film to expose holes in teams and how to exploit the holes. to find out trends, so yes stats come into it. it all goes together. when the coaches and fans for the colts after week one thought about the slashing they took on defense from the run, they didnt say man we got run all over, they looked at that number of 245 yds rushed against it and made changes through film to correct the problem. the problem starts with the stat, 245yds.

they watch film to expose holes in teams and how to exploit the holes. to find out trends, so yes stats come into it. it all goes together. when the coaches and fans for the colts after week one thought about the slashing they took on defense from the run, they didnt say man we got run all over, they looked at that number of 245 yds rushed against it and made changes through film to correct the problem. the problem starts with the stat, 245yds.

I can only speak for myself, but my guess is I am speaking for other posters as well. Of course teams look at trends during the season to aid them in preparing for a game. They will use anything they can to their advantage.

The seemingly disputable point here is that two games does not give them enough information to have trends.

Now as far as situational trends, they can come to a little bit of a conclusion of what we like to do on 3rd down and so forth. As far as trends like rushing yards per game, two data points does not supply enough information for a trend.

I work in the quality department for the company that I work for and nobody ever uses two data points as a trend. Six games into the season, there will be some valuable trend information down those lines. Right now, there isn't.

I can agree with some of what you're saying, you just lose me when you talk about trends going in to week three.

they absolutely did a good job on defense those two games. i am basing this theory off two things:1) b/c we have given up the home run, i imagine this plays into the saints mindset, "wouldn't it be nice to get a cheap one being they have given it up in two games to the right side." 2) they rank 31st in rushing, 12th in passing. they want their passing game to be top 5, of course, you have brees. the best qb in the league in MY opinion. its an opinion, don't need to into a rant over that one. its the oldest saying in the book, you have to run the ball well, not incredible, to set up the passing game. therefore, as it was requested from me, i think the saints will run the ball 5-10 more times this game to help set up the pass.we need to prepare for that, thats all. don't want to give up a big one again.

Payton *may* try to run a similiar play to see if it will work but he is not going to count on cheap TDs. No one does.

What he is going to count on are plays that get his offense marching down the field into the red zone. The very running plays that have not worked against us thus far. He knows us better so he might find some flaws that the Cards and Steelers did not exploit but his attempts at rushing will be normal pound the ball down the field plays. If one of them ends in daylight that is great but you can't count on that to win games. He will not be all giddy about our stats or the fact that we gave up a couple. He will assume we have worked to correct it.

If anything, I bet Payton probably respects or run defense more right now than ever. Hopefully that will stay true as the year progresses.

:lol:

you laugh now but were you laughing when that one big running play lost us the game in pittsburgh? were you laughing last week when it ruined our shut out? i wasn't. 5-10 more running plays is what i said and one of those can be a home run. disagree with me but at that point your are diagreeing with history and facts. we dont know what the time of possesion will be. we don't know how many plays they get on offense.

Payton *may* try to run a similiar play to see if it will work but he is not going to count on cheap TDs. No one does.

What he is going to count on are plays that get his offense marching down the field into the red zone. The very running plays that have not worked against us thus far. He knows us better so he might find some flaws that the Cards and Steelers did not exploit but his attempts at rushing will be normal pound the ball down the field plays. If one of them ends in daylight that is great but you can't count on that to win games. He will not be all giddy about our stats or the fact that we gave up a couple. He will assume we have worked to correct it.

If anything, I bet Payton probably respects or run defense more right now than ever. Hopefully that will stay true as the year progresses.

his run offense is ranked 31st and i see them wanting to improve on this. you cant get back to the superbowl with that type of production. never said he was banking on a big run play but their coaching staff has taken note that we have given up two to the right side.

I can only speak for myself, but my guess is I am speaking for other posters as well. Of course teams look at trends during the season to aid them in preparing for a game. They will use anything they can to their advantage.

The seemingly disputable point here is that two games does not give them enough information to have trends.

Now as far as situational trends, they can come to a little bit of a conclusion of what we like to do on 3rd down and so forth. As far as trends like rushing yards per game, two data points does not supply enough information for a trend.

I work in the quality department for the company that I work for and nobody ever uses two data points as a trend. Six games into the season, there will be some valuable trend information down those lines. Right now, there isn't.

I can agree with some of what you're saying, you just lose me when you talk about trends going in to week three.

really bro, cause the whole world is based on trends and stats. stock market come to mind, only affects our economy as a whole and the world for that matter. i remember ione crucial data point that rocked the whole world, the stock market crash. i work in sales and every single stat, percentage matters to the whole. better start looking for a new job if your company doesn't pay attn to every data point...

I agree.

really bro, cause the whole world is based on trends and stats. stock market come to mind, only affects our economy as a whole and the world for that matter. i remember ione crucial data point that rocked the whole world, the stock market crash. i work in sales and every single stat, percentage matters to the whole. better start looking for a new job if your company doesn't pay attn to every data point...

If we made major adjustments, based on only two data points (which is what you're suggesting the Saints do) we would spend countless hours and resources going off of the deep end based on limited data.

Stock market crash, find a new job....I'm moving on.

If we made major adjustments, based on only two data points (which is what you're suggesting the Saints do) we would spend countless hours and resources going off of the deep end based on limited data.

Stock market crash, find a new job....I'm moving on.

i don't think be the #31 ranked rush defense is a small data point. if we were ranked that right now, this message board would be lit up with what is wrong with the rush offense?

tact would be for our defense bud, but keep trying. discretion, for our defense.

You weren't talking about the Defense, you were talking about the Saints.

And it still wouldn't be tact- tact is avoiding upsetting someone, I guarantee the Falcon's D wants the Saints to be upset when the game is over.

Tact is kneeling down four straight times when the game is in hand. There will be nothing tactful about the game next Sunday.

I believe you actually meant tactics- how you plan to win a battle or a game.

but were not the # 9 rushing defense, we are 26th and those runs happened.

you are correct, they did happen. They were both identical plays and we blew our assignment in each. Do you not think that is being coached up all week? Our ypc allowed jumps from 3.11 to 5.9 based on 2 runs. So in microcosm, yes our run defense looks bad, but looking at the big picture, our run D is actually pretty good except for the 1 play anomaly.

Personally, I hope the taints make the stupid mistake to try and run the ball against us. That just plays right into our hands. It takes the taints out of their normal offensive game plan and will make our job easier. But NFL teams are not stupid enough to just look at stats and assume they can run on our defense.

you laugh now but were you laughing when that one big running play lost us the game in pittsburgh? were you laughing last week when it ruined our shut out? i wasn't. 5-10 more running plays is what i said and one of those can be a home run. disagree with me but at that point your are diagreeing with history and facts. we dont know what the time of possesion will be. we don't know how many plays they get on offense.

Agree I was not laughing in OT when we played the Steelers. But hay, Those errors can be corrected. According to Cards, it still faired well for us. Teams are going to get big runs sometimes even on the toughest Defenses. But that doesn't determine the whole out come of the game everytime. Yes I would loved a shut out but....41-7 will do just fine. ;)

Edited by The Birds are the truth

i don't think be the #31 ranked rush defense is a small data point. if we were ranked that right now, this message board would be lit up with what is wrong with the rush offense?

I could probably pull 2 games from any team last year and use the stats from them to prove they were among the best or worst in most categories. In the next few weeks just about every defense will give up some big plays and every offense will make some and the rankings will change dramatically. Where anyone is ranked until there is more data is meaningless.

You weren't talking about the Defense, you were talking about the Saints.

And it still wouldn't be tact- tact is avoiding upsetting someone, I guarantee the Falcon's D wants the Saints to be upset when the game is over.

Tact is kneeling down four straight times when the game is in hand. There will be nothing tactful about the game next Sunday.

I believe you actually meant tactics- how you plan to win a battle or a game.

discretion