The Saints will be running the ball

No. They look at the games. Peyton wants to run the ball against us effectively so he has to watch and see if he can find cracks that other treams have not exploited. He will also take note that the plays against us for marching down the field that have worked so far have been short passing plays.

I don't have to be a member of the team to know that no head coach is as STUPID as you seem to think they are. Overall stats this early in the season are MEANINGLESS.

Do you even know what an effective running game is? It is not a couple of big plays it is pounding it out for 4, 5, 6, 7 yards at a time. Which game did you watch where that seemed to be effecive against us?

The two games of the season where there were big running plays. No your right, teams don't try to exploit the trends of weakness displayed by teams. I think you are nuts to think that they don't look at every stat. So, you don't think that teams notice we throw the ball to Roddy the majority of the time. Cause I remember an interception by Troy in the season opener. Peyton hasn't thought at any point, I wonder how we get our big run? Stats are completely meaningless? You don't think teams look at Manning's attempts so far this season and say they are going to be throwing the ball. If you dont go off statistics and trends what do you calculate from? The gut? c'mon.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but i have to disagree.

You dont lose arguably your best running back and then go into a game like this deciding to run the ball even more.

That just makes no sense at all.

The Saints will do what they do best, and that is to pass the ball to thier pro-bowl TE and WR.

They had great success against us last season passing the ball and they will continue to do so until

we prove that we can stop it. And then they will continue to pass it.

Unlike the Falcons, the Saints like to pass to open up the run. If we are hogging the ball all game, which more

than likely will be our game plan, they will be forced to pass even more.

On thier home field, they are not afraid to go long and often against a secondary and coaching staff they are very familiar with.

reggie Bush is a situational back that is more effective catching the ball in open space. Pierre Thomas is their true running back and he is healthy. The saints are going to play a control game against us, running the ball. Since when is Reggie Bush considered an elite RUNNING BACK? Familiar with our secondary? Chris Owens, William Moore and Dunta Robinson? Really that's 3 out 4 new players dude. They are not familiar with this new d at all. sorry.

Edited by alexander1.9.71

I expect the Saints to be heavy on the run this week, especially with Bush out. The Falcons respectively rank in the top 15 according to team stats on nfl.com in every category, except rush yards allowed. In some some team stats, the Falcons are in the top 6. Congratulations! If you look back to the Saints/Vikings match up, New Orleans was run heavy in the second half and was effecient. I imagine they will take the same game to Atlanta, being the Falcons are giving up at least one explosive run play a game, that have lead to touchdowns. The Falcons pass defense is leaps and bounds improved from last year, mixing up sets and getting after quaterbacks. I think the Saints have taken notice and I expect them to try and exploit the Falcons run defense. Hope Van Gorden is thinking the same. I take the Falcons by three, as I expect the Falcons running game to continue where it left off against the Cardinals, and for Matt Ryan to continue his improvement in the passing game.

I have a strong feeling that those two busted plays are an aberration. You take them away, and our defense is very stingy against the run, just like it's top 10 ranking against the run last season. They'll have that sewed up for this game on Sunday.

.... If you dont go off statistics and trends what do you calculate from? The gut? c'mon.

Saints coaches have watched every single play from the falcons this year, that's what they'll calculate from.

Stats are pretty much useless right now- Falcons are averaging 25 points a game, they scored 9 points and 41 points in their two games- how many points they going to score sunday?

The two games of the season where there were big running plays. No your right, teams don't try to exploit the trends of weakness displayed by teams. I think you are nuts to think that they don't look at every stat. So, you don't think that teams notice we throw the ball to Roddy the majority of the time. Cause I remember an interception by Troy in the season opener. Peyton hasn't thought at any point, I wonder how we get our big run? Stats are completely meaningless? You don't think teams look at Manning's attempts so far this season and say they are going to be throwing the ball. If you dont go off statistics and trends what do you calculate from? The gut? c'mon.

Teams practice the big plays but count ont he small ones to get the job done. You do realize that, right? Do you think they are going to relax and say "no worries they have given up two big running plays so even if we can't move the ball on the ground the whole game we can count on at least 1 td."?

Teams use the film room to develop their own stats based on very specific criteria. They are looking at what personnel are on the field, what package they are showing, and what they are trying to hide in various situations. They will look over the things they know about certain players they know and things they have worked against them and they will try to learn about the new players. When x player does this what normally happens after the snap? Do they rush, or do they drop back?

All of the rankings and overall stats are meaningless. Situational stats might be closer to the truth but even they are too high level this soon.

The saints are going to play a control game against us, running the ball.

You just go on and keep thinking that.

Lemme ask everyone a question -

If you were a coach in the NFL and had Drew Brees and his plethora of receivers at your disposal, would

you play a run-first control type game? Have they ever done that?

No need to answer...we all know the answer is h*ll no!

Saints coaches have watched every single play from the falcons this year, that's what they'll calculate from.

Stats are pretty much useless right now- Falcons are averaging 25 points a game, they scored 9 points and 41 points in their two games- how many points they going to score sunday?

Well going off last year they scored 66 pts against the Saints, so I'm going to say btween 23-30. But again, trends and stats don't matter? Vegas doesn't use stats at all and neither do opposing teams, youre nuts to think otherwise. I'm going to say that where the Falcons ranked STATISTICALLY the past 2 seasons defensively had nothing to do with heavy defensive drafts and trying to improve where STATISTICALLY they were not good. The Saints rank 12th in passing, and 31st in run offense at the moment. You don't think they want to improve on those rushing stats? Do you think they want to be looked at like the Colts, where all they do is pass the ball? I imagine the Superbowl champs do not want to be a 1 dimension team, we saw how that worked for the Colts in the Superbowl. Pick 6, game over. Throw an out to Roddy White, against the Steelers, where statistically the whole game that's where we had been going, picked off.

If you were a coach in the NFL and had Drew Brees and his plethora of receivers at your disposal, would

This is like the waterboy. Instead of "but my momma says, momma says..." it is "but the stats say, the stats say..."

Drew Brees, has not been throwing to his #2 and #3 receivers like he did last year. The majority of his attempts have gone to Shockey and Colston. I'm sure coaching staffs are looking at these stats and trends, otherwise theyre dumb if they are not. They are, trust me. Different than last year. No Reggie Bush out of the backfield, one less man to guard in the passing game. They rank 31st in rush offense and want to improve on that. They are getting lucky like last year with squeeked out wins.

Stats are stats and it's what you have to go off of early in the season. They are real and factual. It is what it is. They will be running the ball.

I think they're going to look at film more than go off of stats. Stats can be deceiving, especially after two games. I think if they commit to the run it is a small victory for us, not them. They are most dynamic in the passing game that's how they put up the points.

Overall our D has actually been pretty solid against the run. There was one play in the game against the Steelers and one run against the Cardinals that significantly raised the average. We need to get guys in place and making tackles on every play because the Saints will capitalize on our mistakes. That said, when a lot of a teams rushing yards come on one play it is a fixable situation. Consistency!

This is like the waterboy. Instead of "but my momma says, momma says..." it is "but the stats say, the stats say..."

If Michael Turner averaged 3 yds a carry by week six, from those stats, which are a reflection of production, you don't think the Falcons would look more to Snelling? Vince Young got benched for lack luster play which translates to bad stats. Same for Campbell. Vick is starting cause look at his production, which again translates to his stats. Momma says, Momma says, "you don't know what you are talking about. Football is war,and war is tactful.

Well going off last year they scored 66 pts against the Saints, so I'm going to say btween 23-30. But again, trends and stats don't matter? Vegas doesn't use stats at all and neither do opposing teams, youre nuts to think otherwise. I'm going to say that where the Falcons ranked STATISTICALLY the past 2 seasons defensively had nothing to do with heavy defensive drafts and trying to improve where STATISTICALLY they were not good. The Saints rank 12th in passing, and 31st in run offense at the moment. You don't think they want to improve on those rushing stats? Do you think they want to be looked at like the Colts, where all they do is pass the ball? I imagine the Superbowl champs do not want to be a 1 dimension team, we saw how that worked for the Colts in the Superbowl. Pick 6, game over. Throw an out to Roddy White, against the Steelers, where statistically the whole game that's where we had been going, picked off.

Everyone is trying to improve every week. Not because of stats but because they want to win games and plug problems. The stats take care of themselves.

Besides you have gotten way off track.

You wanted to use our 25th ranked defense against the run as a basis for the claim that NO will be running the ball more due to our apparent struggling. I appreciate your tenacity in trying to make this thread anything less than a failure but really if I were you I would quit while I was behind.

Everyone is trying to improve every week. Not because of stats but because they want to win games and plug problems. The stats take care of themselves.

Besides you have gotten way off track.

You wanted to use our 25th ranked defense against the run as a basis for the claim that NO will be running the ball more due to our apparent struggling. I appreciate your tenacity in trying to make this thread anything less than a failure but really if I were you I would quit while I was behind.

That is the point of the thread. They are going to try and improve their running game (31st in the league) against a 26th ranked rush defense that is giving up big run plays. Running backs can get past our secondary, watch, they will be running the ball more than you think. I'm not saying they will be successful, I'm just saying expect more run than usual in attempt to fix their problems on the ground.

Edited by alexander1.9.71

They rank 31st in rush offense and want to improve on that.

They're 2-0.

They dont care if they finish last in rushing as long as the wins keep rolling in.

This aint Madden. No team cares about rushing or passing rankings as long as they are winning.

And, btw, we are the worst possible team for them to try and "improve thier rushing rank" on.

Sean Payton knows this, he aint dumb.

If Michael Turner averaged 3 yds a carry by week six, from those stats, which are a reflection of production, you don't think the Falcons would look more to Snelling? Vince Young got benched for lack luster play which translates to bad stats. Same for Campbell. Vick is starting cause look at his production, which again translates to his stats. Momma says, Momma says, "you don't know what you are talking about. Football is war,and war is tactful.

Tactful doesn't mean using a defenses ranking after 2 weeks as a strategy guide. That is the OPPOSITE of being tactful.

Tactful doesn't mean using a defenses ranking after 2 weeks as a strategy guide. That is the OPPOSITE of being tactful.

Bingo!

If you want to look at stats and trends, look at our current staffs match-ups with the Saints over the last two years.

Those are about as close to any meaningful "trends" as you will find.

And none of them point towards the Saints running the ball more on us this time around.

Rule #1 as a coach in the NFL: You stick to what works with the personnel you have, otherwise, you might be looking for a job next season.

They're 2-0.

They dont care if they finish last in rushing as long as the wins keep rolling in.

This aint Madden. No team cares about rushing or passing rankings as long as they are winning.

And, btw, we are the worst possible team for them to try and "improve thier rushing rank" on.

Sean Payton knows this, he aint dumb.

well if they look at themselves, they see, they can not run the ball right now. this creates a huge problem for any team trying to repeat. there is more tape on them from last year than any other team (minus colts). teams are analyzing their sets on offense, they may want to create some new wrinkles.

That is the point of the thread. They are going to try and improve their running game (31st in the league) against a 26th ranked rush defense that is giving up big run plays. Running backs can get past our secondary, watch, they will be running the ball more than you think. I'm not saying they will be successful, I'm just saying expect more run than usual in attempt to fix their problems on the ground.

Whoa whoa whoa. Teams try to improve their game and fix problems in practice not in games.

This isn't a preseason game. They can't afford to keep running the ball to get a stat up. Teams game plan around their weaknesses they don't stubbornly say well I have to get this fixed to improve a stat.

They will try to run the ball. They will do it many times to try and test us. If we show up like we have been they will go to the passing game because they care more about winning than stats.

Bingo!

If you want to look at stats and trends, look at our current staffs match-ups with the Saints over the last two years.

Those are about as close to any meaningful "trends" as you will find.

And none of them point towards the Saints running the ball more on us this time around.

Rule #1 as a coach in the NFL: You stick to what works with the personnel you have, otherwise, you might be looking for a job next season.

Their rushing offense never ranked this low last year. you cant look at the last two years worth of matchups, especially against us. completely different secondary than last year. completely different defense. owens, robinson, biermann, jerry, moore. sorry buddy, makes no sense. if its not a trend then how have breakout run plays happened in two straight games. thats a trend any wasy you look at it. how can that be argued really? 2 games, 2 big run plays=trend. not saying it will happen again but as for now,its a trend.

Tactful is effecient, gathering all the facts. they have a free website...www.dictionary.com, utilize it. No football does not require a tactful mindset at all.

Facts being the keyword there. Rankings after week 2 are misleading because they do not include enough of a sampling. How is being tactful and being intentionally misled the same thing?