The Saints will be running the ball

I expect the Saints to be heavy on the run this week, especially with Bush out. The Falcons respectively rank in the top 15 according to team stats on nfl.com in every category, except rush yards allowed. In some some team stats, the Falcons are in the top 6. Congratulations! If you look back to the Saints/Vikings match up, New Orleans was run heavy in the second half and was effecient. I imagine they will take the same game to Atlanta, being the Falcons are giving up at least one explosive run play a game, that have lead to touchdowns. The Falcons pass defense is leaps and bounds improved from last year, mixing up sets and getting after quaterbacks. I think the Saints have taken notice and I expect them to try and exploit the Falcons run defense. Hope Van Gorden is thinking the same. I take the Falcons by three, as I expect the Falcons running game to continue where it left off against the Cardinals, and for Matt Ryan to continue his improvement in the passing game.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hate to say it, but i think we might be prone to give up 1 long run this game again..It was the same play that stung us against pitt in overtime, and arizona did the same thing. Does it really take more than one week fix something like that???

It is odd, exact same play. I chalk the one against the Cardinals up to an inexperienced Owens.

It is odd, exact same play. I chalk the one against the Cardinals up to an inexperienced Owens.

im kinda glad reggie wont be in this because he could be the prime suspect to hit that hole and turn on the speed. Thomas doesnt have that type of speed reggie does, so even though its not a good thing to see a player go down, it not all that sad with reggie going down. First he lost kim, then his trophy, now half of his season..wow..

Stop the home run and our run defense has actually been pretty stout. 2 runs have accounted for 50% of the rushing yards we have given up (130/261) and those runs were only stopped by the end zone as both backs were pulling away from the defense when they scored.

My hope is that after 2 straight weeks of giving up a long run on the same play we have finally figured out the problem, and that the Saints see those raw numbers and think we have a vulnerablility that we don't have. If we haven't fixed the problem they could bust another long one.

I have a lot of respect for Thomas (I have in on my fantasy team) and that O-Line, but I would much rather take my chances with a run-heavy game plan from NO than have them rely on the pass. Hopefully I don't eat my words.

It's hard to watch the games and say we're bad against the run. You can't just look at stats. Those numbers are off because of 2 big runs. You take away the 50+ yarder from Mendenhall and the 75+ or whatever it was from Hightower, we have shut down the run. I wonder what the stats would look like if you took away those two big plays? Stop the big plays and we have a pretty good lookin defense.

Falcons have actually been very good vs. the run except for only 2 mental breakdowns.

Mendenhal busted that 50 yard run in over time and Hightower busted a long TD run for the Cardinals only score.

We have to stop the breakdowns I agree. Its easier to fix 2 mental lapses. Better and easier to fix then getting gashed for 5 yards consistently.

im kinda glad reggie wont be in this because he could be the prime suspect to hit that hole and turn on the speed. Thomas doesnt have that type of speed reggie does, so even though its not a good thing to see a player go down, it not all that sad with reggie going down. First he lost kim, then his trophy, now half of his season..wow..

I'm not happy he is injured, but I am sure happy he is not playing this game. Doesn't Bush usually light us up?

It's not like you ever hope for someone to get injured but I think the first thought every Falcons fan had when he went down was "hope he won't be playing next Sunday." It's just human nature. Rough year for the guy but I don't like him and therefore don't feel sorry for him. Hate USC too, so really don't mind if they lose a trophy out of that trophy room. If you cheat, there are consequences deserved, you know?

I hate it when you guys get lose with early season stats and start creating threads. Early season stats are meaningless. They will have no influence over what the Saints do because they are not that stupid.

:rolleyes:

Stats are stats and it's what you have to go off of early in the season. They are real and factual. It is what it is. They will be running the ball.

120 of those yards teams have built up on us were on 2 plays. 95% of the game we play the run well. We still to work on what Coach Smith loves to say sustainability. We need to make sure we don't give up big plays especially in the run game to the Saints. That is the workings of giving up more passing yards. Keep those behemoths they have at guard in check.

Stats are stats and it's what you have to go off of early in the season. They are real and factual. It is what it is. They will be running the ball.

Nope. You go by the games. Do you think Sean Peyton is using NFL.com stats to game plan? Seriously? Yikes.

We are better at stopping the run then our stats suggest. They will do what any offense does. They will test every aspect of our defense until they find something that works.

I am less comfortable with our secondary than our ability to stop the run. Passing is where we have allowed teams to march so far this year.

It's hard to watch the games and say we're bad against the run. You can't just look at stats. Those numbers are off because of 2 big runs. You take away the 50+ yarder from Mendenhall and the 75+ or whatever it was from Hightower, we have shut down the run. I wonder what the stats would look like if you took away those two big plays? Stop the big plays and we have a pretty good lookin defense.

Agreed but do think the Saints believe this is a much improved faster defense. It was easy pickins last year for most teams against us. We played very well against the New Orleans and I think they will be a little reluctant to throw all over the place

Nope. You go by the games. Do you think Sean Peyton is using NFL.com stats to game plan? Seriously? Yikes.

We are better at stopping the run then our stats suggest. They will do what any offense does. They will test every aspect of our defense until they find something that works.

I am less comfortable with our secondary than our ability to stop the run. Passing is where we have allowed teams to march so far this year.

We rank top 15 in pass defense and pretty sure coaches do look at stats as it is theyre job to analize every aspect of the game. Were they not run heavy in the second half against minnesota? I'm just saying that I imagine they will focus on the run as we are much improved in the passing game. I'm not saying that this works to any type of advantage for us or them, just stating an opinion but I guess you know what peyton's game preparation is since you play on the team....

120 of those yards teams have built up on us were on 2 plays. 95% of the game we play the run well. We still to work on what Coach Smith loves to say sustainability. We need to make sure we don't give up big plays especially in the run game to the Saints. That is the workings of giving up more passing yards. Keep those behemoths they have at guard in check.

but we have given up huge run plays in each of our games. trends tend to stick with teams in the nfl, we may not give up big running plays but we could as well. the stats and history show this far in the season that that is the trend.

2 homerun runs kind of skew that stat. We're very stout against the run.

One of which lost a game, little reason for concern. And I don't say little with any type of sarcasm but if those were big passing plays would we be worried about our pass defense? Probably. I agree our run defense is solid. All I'm saying is the saints have probably taken notice that there is an opportunity for a big run play and may try to exploit it and run the ball more.

Stats are misleading this early in the season. Better than half the rushing yards allowed are from 2 plays. The 2 QBs we faced are Dennis Dixon and Derek Andersen. Not exactly elite QBs by any stretch of the imagination. Sunday will be a real test to see who we really are this year. On the other hand, I do think our defense is better than last year.

Stats are misleading this early in the season. Better than half the rushing yards allowed are from 2 plays. The 2 QBs we faced are Dennis Dixon and Derek Andersen. Not exactly elite QBs by any stretch of the imagination. Sunday will be a real test to see who we really are this year. On the other hand, I do think our defense is better than last year.

I don't think it really matters who the steelers qb is with that D. They are 2-0 against good teams this year. Peoplem seem to forget that Derek Anderson is a pro bowl qb capable of having big games. Arizona still has great threats on offense and good players on defense. We blew them out which you dont see to often in the nfl and especially from the Falcons. I'm taking the falcons as we are the hotter, more tuned up team at the moment.

We rank top 15 in pass defense and pretty sure coaches do look at stats as it is theyre job to analize every aspect of the game. Were they not run heavy in the second half against minnesota? I'm just saying that I imagine they will focus on the run as we are much improved in the passing game. I'm not saying that this works to any type of advantage for us or them, just stating an opinion but I guess you know what peyton's game preparation is since you play on the team....

No. They look at the games. Peyton wants to run the ball against us effectively so he has to watch and see if he can find cracks that other treams have not exploited. He will also take note that the plays against us for marching down the field that have worked so far have been short passing plays.

I don't have to be a member of the team to know that no head coach is as STUPID as you seem to think they are. Overall stats this early in the season are MEANINGLESS.

Do you even know what an effective running game is? It is not a couple of big plays it is pounding it out for 4, 5, 6, 7 yards at a time. Which game did you watch where that seemed to be effecive against us?

Sorry, but i have to disagree.

You dont lose arguably your best running back and then go into a game like this deciding to run the ball even more.

That just makes no sense at all.

The Saints will do what they do best, and that is to pass the ball to thier pro-bowl TE and WR.

They had great success against us last season passing the ball and they will continue to do so until

we prove that we can stop it. And then they will continue to pass it.

Unlike the Falcons, the Saints like to pass to open up the run. If we are hogging the ball all game, which more

than likely will be our game plan, they will be forced to pass even more.

On thier home field, they are not afraid to go long and often against a secondary and coaching staff they are very familiar with.