Could You Handle This Job?

FalconFanSince1970

I couldn't continue to watch---it was freaking me

it was freaking me out as well. i'm ok with heights as long as there's a platform that i can park a car on with plenty of railing, etc, but this guy is bat **** crazy. i may be able to handle the first few hundred feet on the inside where i'd be secure, but F the free climbing BS.

it was freaking me out as well. i'm ok with heights as long as there's a platform that i can park a car on with plenty of railing, etc, but this guy is bat **** crazy. i may be able to handle the first few hundred feet on the inside where i'd be secure, but F the free climbing BS.

If I were that guy I would demand 200K/year---who else is going to do his job. And, I dam sure would wear a parachute

My heart started fluttering, my palms began to sweat, my breathing got choppy, and it felt like my feet went flat just watching that thing. No way, no how would I even try to climb it. He just kept going higher and higher, and then the guy doing the voiceover says "now comes the tricky part" :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

The dude in the video was so high up there that I was half expecting the announcer to say "if you look to your left, you can see God, over in heaven looking down upon all mankind".

Imagine getting up there and a storm starts to roll in.

My first question was what do you do when you get to the top and need to take a dump?

Take tp with you and "fire when ready", I suppose.

My question is for the poor sap standing down there on the ground when your poop starts hitting the ground all around him; what type of bird must he think is up there there could drop a load like that one?

My heart started fluttering, my palms began to sweat, my breathing got choppy, and it felt like my feet went flat just watching that thing. No way, no how would I even try to climb it. He just kept going higher and higher, and then the guy doing the voiceover says "now comes the tricky part" :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

The dude in the video was so high up there that I was half expecting the announcer to say "if you look to your left, you can see God, over in heaven looking down upon all mankind".

Imagine getting up there and a storm starts to roll in.

I kept waiting for a prank to take place.. the guy "accidentally" slips and falls off.. but he has a parachute! Zing!

id need to get paid 200,000 plus be insured for a few million + a parachute. also the free climbing stuff is crazy. this cant be a job in america. no way they would let them free climb.

For me it would have to be $250,000 per climb, a $10M insurance policy, 10 lightning arrestors, a bathroom within 60 feet and a parachute that can deploy and guide to saftey within 1,700 feet.

Yeah my second question was where the hail is this tower? It doesn't look like anything I've ever seen in America but the narrator did say it was regulated by OSHA so it must be. They must be trying to broadcast across three staes. Geez.

id need to get paid 200,000 plus be insured for a few million + a parachute. also the free climbing stuff is crazy. this cant be a job in america. no way they would let them free climb.

For me it would have to be $250,000 per climb, a $10M insurance policy, 10 lightning arrestors, a bathroom within 60 feet and a parachute that can deploy and guide to saftey within 1,700 feet.

Yeah my second question was where the hail is this tower? It doesn't look like anything I've ever seen in America but the narrator did say it was regulated by OSHA so it must be. They must be trying to broadcast across three staes. Geez.

Yeah, there are towers like that in the US too. And the free climbing part of it does exist here as well. I read a study within the last year in which "tower climber" had surpassed "crab fisherman" as the deadliest job in the US. There had been a spate of deaths in the months leading up to the study, so that might have put it in the #1 spot, but that job is very dangerous. And those guys don't make nearly as much money as you guys would think they do either. That industry is "fractured" with a huge number of companies offering their services and the big communications companies do not do that work themselves, so the tower companies have to get really competitive in order to win contracts. It's kind of like the situation with the oil spill in the gulf with multiple companies being involved, but if a tragedy occurs it isn't always clear who is at fault.

As far as where you can find towers like those; I'm pretty sure there are at least a couple in the Raleigh, NC area somewhere. Many years ago one of the large cellular companies had a large regional office up near the Raleigh area and I heard stories about monster towers that were well over 1,000 feet and how people had to climb up them just to change a lightbulb. But that was back when the cell companies still owned their own towers and employed people to do that sort of stuff.

Yes, there was one (a tower) south of Ft. Benning in Cussetta GA that was over 2,000 ft!! Oh, a parachute will not help on that tower! Trust

Edit: the tower in Cusseta is about the same height as this one! The one over 2,000 ft is in North Dakota. Georgia Power has stacks on some of their power plants that top out over a 1,000 ft.

Edit again: The yes was a piggyback on the info Gamecock stated, not that I would climb that tower!!!!

Yeah, there are towers like that in the US too. And the free climbing part of it does exist here as well. I read a study within the last year in which "tower climber" had surpassed "crab fisherman" as the deadliest job in the US. There had been a spate of deaths in the months leading up to the study, so that might have put it in the #1 spot, but that job is very dangerous. And those guys don't make nearly as much money as you guys would think they do either. That industry is "fractured" with a huge number of companies offering their services and the big communications companies do not do that work themselves, so the tower companies have to get really competitive in order to win contracts. It's kind of like the situation with the oil spill in the gulf with multiple companies being involved, but if a tragedy occurs it isn't always clear who is at fault.

As far as where you can find towers like those; I'm pretty sure there are at least a couple in the Raleigh, NC area somewhere. Many years ago one of the large cellular companies had a large regional office up near the Raleigh area and I heard stories about monster towers that were well over 1,000 feet and how people had to climb up them just to change a lightbulb. But that was back when the cell companies still owned their own towers and employed people to do that sort of stuff.