Taints biggest weakness - Lbers

freebird310

The one thing I've noticed alot about their defense is they tend to lose outside containment on rushing plays...if a running back is going to run to the middle of the line and doesn't find the hole he's looking for, all he has to do is cut it back to the outside on them and 9 times outta 10 they'll be able to extend the play for big yardage.Gore did that to them a couple of times,and Alex Smith was able to scramble twice on that tying drive by going outside after being pressured whether it's their lack of discipline in holding their gaps, being overly aggressive , or not having enough LB speed to cover ground....Yea Vilmas good, but it seems they really miss Fujita. For sure I see Dunbar as a guy we can attack.

The one thing I've noticed alot about their defense is they tend to lose outside containment on rushing plays...if a running back is going to run to the middle of the line and doesn't find the hole he's looking for, all he has to do is cut it back to the outside on them and 9 times outta 10 they'll be able to extend the play for big yardage.Gore did that to them a couple of times,and Alex Smith was able to scramble twice on that tying drive by going outside after being pressured whether it's their lack of discipline in holding their gaps, being overly aggressive , or not having enough LB speed to cover ground....Yea Vilmas good, but it seems they really miss Fujita. For sure I see Dunbar as a guy we can attack.

When they blitz they are suceptible to the power run game, rb screens, and anyone coming over the middle on corssing routes. Their defense is not successful because it stops opponents from moving the ball. It is successful because it causes turnovers and often has the benefit of playing with a lead. I think they ranked 25th overall last season. I think the single biggest factor for us to deal with will be the crowd noise. I also think due to the LB issue you mentioned that Ryan will have a mismatch to exploit with either Gonzo or our RBs on most passing plays.

Edited by maxatlanta

When they blitz they are suceptible to the power run game, rb screens, and anyone coming over the middle on corssing routes. Their defense is not successful because it stops opponents from moving the ball. It is successful because it causes turnovers and often has the benefit of playing with a lead. I think they ranked 25th overall last season. I think the single biggest factor for us to deal with will be the crowd noise. I also think due to the LB issue you mentioned that Ryan will have a mismatch to exploit with either Gonzo or our RBs on most passing plays.

I agree. Their LBers are overly aggressive and overpursue, they don't maintain gap discipline. I think we will try and work the middle of the field and try to control the clock, also make them pay on the edge when they overpursue. Shame about Norwood. We really could have used him vs. NOLA.

I believe the Saints have a bend but dont break philosophy.

They believe that if they make you have a long sustained drive you will evenually make a mistake.

part of that is true, when running the ball yea that was the LBs fault, but when a QB runs thats the d-line fault for not holding there rush lanes to keep the QB in the pocket.... either way they got worse on d not better, so im not worried about there d wat so ever, as long as we dont shoot ourselves in the foot, we will be ok....

part of that is true, when running the ball yea that was the LBs fault, but when a QB runs thats the d-line fault for not holding there rush lanes to keep the QB in the pocket.... either way they got worse on d not better, so im not worried about there d wat so ever, as long as we dont shoot ourselves in the foot, we will be ok....

I'm starting to think we can run on them all day long. As you said, can't shoot ourself in the foot like SF. Like I said in the earlier post their entire front seven did a bad job of maintaining gaps, as you saw as well. If Vick had QBed the 49ers Sunday night, they would have killed the Aints, LOL ......

I'm starting to think we can run on them all day long. As you said, can't shoot ourself in the foot like SF. Like I said in the earlier post their entire front seven did a bad job of maintaining gaps, as you saw as well. If Vick had QBed the 49ers Sunday night, they would have killed the Aints, LOL ......

h*** yea, if vick was the QB they would have been in real trouble, but we always been able to run on them.... the last four times we played MT had great days.... there offense has been sluggish, plus we have a better defense then brees has ever facd with us.... so im loooking foward to how well the defense holds up more then how our offense looks...

h*** yea, if vick was the QB they would have been in real trouble, but we always been able to run on them.... the last four times we played MT had great days.... there offense has been sluggish, plus we have a better defense then brees has ever facd with us.... so im loooking foward to how well the defense holds up more then how our offense looks...

Yep. After Sunday we gonna know for sure exactly WTF we got. Games like this define entire seasons. Big difference starting out 2-1 than 1-2. Time for this Voodoo MOJO BS to come to an end. We got to create some luck for ourself. Like you said, we are better on D, and they have slipped a little.

I'm a Saints fan but I'm not trolling. I actually agree with the ops assessment. Vilma is our only lb (starting) with speed. Shanle and Dunbar, although having good awareness, lack speed and can get beat. We have an awesome secondary but because the lack of speed at lb our coverage is weak in the middle of the field and the flats.

Gore made his bread and butter on cut backs last week. If he catches you over-pursuing he'll gash you. There's very few players that have the speed to make up for that mistake.

Our defense isn't bend don't break. It's be aggressive, give up yards in return for turnovers. There were 4 (5 if you count the botched snap leading to the safety) turnovers in the game. 3 of them were takeaways or in other words caused by the defense. Vilma punched the ball out on the fumble(we're constantly trying to strip the ball out). We put pressure on Smith to throw before he wanted to and therefor he threw behind his receiver and Harper came up with the ball. The other interception was a tip ball by Dunbar. It was good awareness by his to get his hands up.

The other turnover was a muffed punt. That was a freebie.

Our defensive philosophy is risky but the pay out is huge. So far thru two games we have 5 takeaways and no turnovers.

I'm looking forward to the game sunday. You guys are the only other relevant team in the division right now. That's a compliment.

I'm a Saints fan but I'm not trolling. I actually agree with the ops assessment. Vilma is our only lb (starting) with speed. Shanle and Dunbar, although having good awareness, lack speed and can get beat. We have an awesome secondary but because the lack of speed at lb our coverage is weak in the middle of the field and the flats.

Gore made his bread and butter on cut backs last week. If he catches you over-pursuing he'll gash you. There's very few players that have the speed to make up for that mistake.

Our defense isn't bend don't break. It's be aggressive, give up yards in return for turnovers. There were 4 (5 if you count the botched snap leading to the safety) turnovers in the game. 3 of them were takeaways or in other words caused by the defense. Vilma punched the ball out on the fumble(we're constantly trying to strip the ball out). We put pressure on Smith to throw before he wanted to and therefor he threw behind his receiver and Harper came up with the ball. The other interception was a tip ball by Dunbar. It was good awareness by his to get his hands up.

Our defensive philosophy is risky but the pay out is huge. So far thru two games we have 5 takeaways and no turnovers.

I'm looking forward to the game sunday. You guys are the only other relevant team in the division right now. That's a compliment.

ur right, but we have a whole season of this defense and a lil bit of this season to watch and prepare for, plus yall defense never shut us down by any means, but yall are good at making turnovers, but so is our d as well, we were right up there with yall last year in take aways, and we are this year as well with 4 take aways.... so this is going to be interesting, weve gotten better on d while yall gotten worse, the difference when we play eachother isnt the offense, but how well our defense will hold up against eachother....

ur right, but we have a whole season of this defense and a lil bit of this season to watch and prepare for, plus yall defense never shut us down by any means, but yall are good at making turnovers, but so is our d as well, we were right up there with yall last year in take aways, and we are this year as well with 4 take aways.... so this is going to be interesting, we gotten better on d while yall have gotten worse, the difference when we play eachother isnt the offense, but how well our defense will hold up against eachother....

Edited by madman88