I need some career advice

young mr. grace

I've worked at the same company for over 12 years now. I never intended to stay at this company for this long, but I started a family soon after I was hired, and I was more concerned with providing for my family than actively climbing the corporate ladder. This job has allowed me the flexibility to attend all my kid's school functions and baseball games. I have been promoted twice during my time here, but my last promotion was over 5 years ago. I think I would have been promoted again last May, but when a position above me became vacant in May, the company chose to eliminate it due to budget cuts and the work was spread out among other employees (including me). And it doesn't look like my boss or his boss are going to resign any time soon, so I going to be in my current position for a lot longer if I decide to stay. I heard that staying at a job too long can kill your career because you aren't learning new skills. I like my boss and co-workers, but I've been doing the same job for over 5 years now and I feel like I'm ready for a new challenge and the opportuity to learn something new. My wife thinks I should stay here forever as long as I have the steady paycheck coming in and the job market remains bad. So I'm not sure what to do. One of my former co-workers called me last week and said that there is a postion at his company that he thinks I would be a perfect fit for. I almost emailed my resume out yesterday, but I just couldn't do it.

What would you guys do?

I can definitely sympathize with your situation. The only thing I could say is that there's certainly no harm in sending out some resumes. I would be reluctant to take any job that is a step or two backwards unless you are absolutely sure that you would be promoted to your current status within a couple of years.

Market isn't exactly brimming with job opportunities and the ones that are out there aren't necessarily of the caliber you've got at the moment. But, if you can find something else that's exciting to you, why not? Of course there's the saying "last hired, first fired" if your new employer starts looking for budget cuts.

Market isn't exactly brimming with job opportunities and the ones that are out there aren't necessarily of the caliber you've got at the moment. But, if you can find something else that's exciting to you, why not? Of course there's the saying "last hired, first fired" if your new employer starts looking for budget cuts.

Definitely something to think about!

It most definately cant hurt to send a few resumes out. But, at the same point keep in mind that the job market isn't exactly booming right now. I can definately sympythize with you as far as wanting to make a career change but having mouths to feed. I'm in that same boat with you. Me, Im feeling things out around me and doing alot of praying. And just having faith that when the right move comes around, I'll know it.

Well I don't think it would ever hurt you to have your resume in a hiring manager's hand. It can only help you, if for no other reason than to help you get or keep your interviewing skills sharp. Plus you might actually be offered this other position at which point you have some leverage with your current employer as it relates to your earnings.

Another thing to consider is the fact that companies who eliminate jobs or institute hiring freezes will almost always reverse those moves after a couple of successive quarters of positive growth and financial results. So, your current job may not be as much of a dead end as it looks at this point in time.

I am not suggesting that you should discount what your wife thinks. It's obviously very important. And wives are notoriously averse to any kind of risk taking especially when it involves potential financial uncertainty; doubly so, when there are children involved. However, I do know first hand how bad it can be to feel like you're stuck in a job with no real chance to advance or learn any new skills. Eventually something like that can have a very negative impact on your performance and your quality of life at home. Speak to her again, and make it clear how you feel about your current company and the lack of opportunity that you are facing. But I do think it would be very wise to get your resume into their hands. Good luck.