Yasinskas has found a home inside Drew Brees' jock.

JOEinPHX

Just read the Yasinskas review of last night's game. You can see the entire piece here

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth

but I'll excerpt a little of it for you.

If you want to know what champions are made of, look no further than the Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints.

They took everything the San Francisco 49ers could throw at them Monday night and the 49ers played just about as good a game as they could have. It didn’t matter because the Saints are the better team and they were going to do whatever it took to win, 25-22, on a last-second field goal by Garrett Hartley.

That’s exactly what happened after the 49ers tied the game at 22 with one minute, 19 seconds left. Then, with the wind literally at his back, Drew Brees did exactly what he did last year -- when the wind was symbolically at his back -- all the way to the Super Bowl.

Although he hadn’t been his usual precise self much of the night, Brees was a machine on the final drive. His back-shoulder pass to Marques Colston to set up the field goal was a thing of beauty. Hartley’s field goal wasn’t a work of art, but the kick made it through the uprights and the Saints are 2-0.

I underlined the bit about taking what the Niners threw at them because it only tells half the story. Yes, the San Francisco offense was effective and efficient for the most part. But the Niners also handed the Saints a fumble, two picks, a muffed punt in the red zone, and a bad-snap safety.

The Saints played like champions for exactly one possession, and even then had their game winning field goal partially blocked. If the Falcons play their game and avoid the mistakes the Niners made (and there's no reason to think they won't), next Sunday's outcome should be a pleasant one.

I don't think turning the ball over 4 times constitutes as "doing everything they could have done" :huh:

Take off your gold colored glasses Yak, I know your exctied that you get to be in charge of covering the division featuring the world champs but there are 3 other teams in it.

there's a thin line between playing safe and playing scared. I'm hoping the Falcons don't come out in the Superdome playing to not lose the game to "avoid mistakes".

tell me about it, we all have seen that gameplan before, pats, aints, i hope this year they believe in there defense, and go after him all game, they say they want to be an ''attacking defense'', well this is our chance to prove to the leauge that this is a race to the division, and it starts NOW!!! if we can give them there first loss, look out for our confidence to blow everyone else away that we face....

They took everything the San Francisco 49ers could throw at them Monday night

Yes like 5 turnovers (including one safety) three of which were inside 20s. That's very tough to handle!

It's amazing that he finds Saints performance last night admirable but Falcons against steelers deplorable. For god's sake they were playing niners and had 5 TOs!!!

The Niners did everything they possibly could to lose that game.

I believe they were more physical than the Saints and played with much more passion and desire to

win, but mistakes of thier own doing doomed them to defeat.

The Saints just avoided the same mistakes that the Niners committed, that's all.

The Niners have talent but they are a young, seemingly self-destructive team.

While watching the game i kept thinking to myself - These are our next two opponents. And honestly, i am more

worried about the physicality of the Niners than i am of the Saints. Especially now with the Saints ST ace and RB

speedster out of the game. The Niners were obviously the better team last night, but lady luck is cold.

The Saints look like paper champions, nothing more.

I've stopped following PAT lately because he's being biased since he picked NO to make the SB.

He didn't mention even once in his article that NO couldn't stop the RUN whole night long. NOT EVEN ONCE..

Um, the Saints never really "stop the run." Haven't in a good 4+ years. They force turnovers and get the ball back in the hands of Brees. It's no fluke that those balls get poked out and intercepted. Once their opponent falls behind on the scoreboard it's almost impossible to keep up pounding the rock.

Just read the Yasinskas review of last night's game. You can see the entire piece here

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth

but I'll excerpt a little of it for you.

If you want to know what champions are made of, look no further than the Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints.

They took everything the San Francisco 49ers could throw at them Monday night and the 49ers played just about as good a game as they could have. It didn’t matter because the Saints are the better team and they were going to do whatever it took to win, 25-22, on a last-second field goal by Garrett Hartley.

That’s exactly what happened after the 49ers tied the game at 22 with one minute, 19 seconds left. Then, with the wind literally at his back, Drew Brees did exactly what he did last year -- when the wind was symbolically at his back -- all the way to the Super Bowl.

Although he hadn’t been his usual precise self much of the night, Brees was a machine on the final drive. His back-shoulder pass to Marques Colston to set up the field goal was a thing of beauty. Hartley’s field goal wasn’t a work of art, but the kick made it through the uprights and the Saints are 2-0.

I underlined the bit about taking what the Niners threw at them because it only tells half the story. Yes, the San Francisco offense was effective and efficient for the most part. But the Niners also handed the Saints a fumble, two picks, a muffed punt in the red zone, and a bad-snap safety.

The Saints played like champions for exactly one possession, and even then had their game winning field goal partially blocked. If the Falcons play their game and avoid the mistakes the Niners made (and there's no reason to think they won't), next Sunday's outcome should be a pleasant one.

Sorry, if the taints were such a better team than the 9ers, then they would not have had to kick a last second FG to win the game by 3 points. Especially not in a game where the turnover margin was 5-0 in New Orleans' favor. If the taints were as good as the media wants to think they are, they would have won that game by 24+ points.

What struck me watching last night's game was that the 49ers offense and defense looked an awful lot like the Falcons O and D. Ball control, run-oriented offense coupled with an efficient passing game. Swarming, pressure defense that nullifies the run and collapses pockets - I think the bend-but-don't-break days are behind us.

If the Niners hadn't shot themselves in the foot over and over again, the outcome would have been radically different. The headline on the game should have read 'Saints escape with win courtesy of Niners largesse'.

The Falcons will need to emphasize ball security this week because the Saints are great at stripping it out. If they do that and play their game, they'll be fine.

The upcoming Falcons/Niners game suddenly looks extremely interesting. Based on the similarities I saw last night, it could turn into the Clone Wars.

Pat is still calling our loss at Pitt a HORRIBLE performance even though Pitt caused 7 turnovers to the titans and held the best RB in the NFL to 36 yards.

I emailed him about the fact he needs to get some perspective on the Pitt game, I swear there is no way he watched the game if he thinks it was anything other than a hard nosed tough football game that went to OT.

And I still say Ryan played very well in that game and only made one real mistake that ended up not even effecting the outcome of the game.

tell me about it, we all have seen that gameplan before, pats, aints, i hope this year they believe in there defense, and go after him all game, they say they want to be an ''attacking defense'', well this is our chance to prove to the leauge that this is a race to the division, and it starts NOW!!! if we can give them there first loss, look out for our confidence to blow everyone else away that we face....

Correct. But....The Falcons have to go a take care of business. No lingering around and playing lazy football. We have to punch the taints in the mouth and leave them smackless. Brees need to be laying on his back more than a 10 cents hooker. And we have to be asking for our change back.

Edited by The Birds are the truth

Take a good, long hard look at your screen name and avatar.

Then ask yourself, "How classy am I being?"

Correct. It pretty much tells the whole story what type of fan he is. They say don't judge a book by it's cover. But if title of the book is shining in a negative light, there's no need to read it and waste your time.